• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Dead Space: As a long time Resident Evil fan, Dead Space really hit the spot. If you like survival horror or action horror, this game is extremely solid. It has some great UI, a good sci-fi story + setting, and the limb system adds it's own unique taste to the genre.
9/10.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 2 Remake: 8/10

Resident Evil 2 Remake may be one of the best games to come out this past decade. It feels wrong to call it a remake because it is so much more than that. I still can’t get enough of this game. I want to play it more and master it. I want to get better times and get good enough to speedrun it on hardcore. I’m really a big horror fan and I highly recommend this masterpiece. This is how remakes should be done.

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim 9/10.

Highly recommended for anyone with a PS4. My only complaint is that the story has a few minor inconsistencies.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 8/10

Y'know, I enjoyed Age of Calamity. The story was surprisingly ambitious, although I do take issue with it being marketed as the Story Before the Calamity:tm:, since it's not. But what it is is creative for Zelda. The character interactions in particular are more meaningful and memorable than the series has seen for the most part, which I appreciate, despite there being an unnecessary focus put on the eggbot.

Story and characters aside, the actual gameplay is great. It's never not satisfying to cut down wave after wave of enemies. But the game does have issues with performance. Frame rates can dip quite heavily sometimes, and it's a bit jarring because of that. A natural consequence of trying to make a game as action-packed as a Warriors game is in the visual style of BotW.

Also, some of the map layouts can be kind of confusing. I'd be moving from one objective to another and get completely lost. Maybe I'm just bad with direction, but it was irritating either way.

Overall, good game. I'm happy with my purchase. Who knows, I may go back and complete some of the side content. I have no idea whether or not I'll buy the DLC though.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So, I recently finished Final Fantasy XV. It's a weird game. On one hand it's easy to see that the game has been in development hell since 2006 or so and that the build we received has probably only been in development for about two years. Side quests feel incredibly unfinished and it feels like large chunks of the main storyline were cut out so they could be extended and repackaged as DLC.

On the other hand, I really like the chunks of story that are present and the chemistry between the main characters. As reviews for the game have sarcastically suggested, I wish I could see what the finished version of Final Fantasy XV looks like.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - 8/10

70+ hours in, I think I've played enough GenU to say what I think about it. Before GenU, my only MonHun experience was the Rise demo. Coming from that to GenU, there were some noticeable differences, but the core gameplay is still there and still fun.

What I missed most were the QoL features in Rise, like using items while moving and item gathering being so slow. That and the wirebug made Rise so easy to jump into. GenU is also pretty easy to get into, but the gameplay has a more clunky feel without them. Other gripes I have are how much grinding is necessary to get better gear. I get that investment is necessary to get improve your hunter, but it feels a bit excessive at times.

Criticisms aside, I still really enjoy playing it. I mostly just mess around in online hunts anymore, raising my hunter rank every now and then. Jumping in with other folks to take down a large monster never gets old unless it's Nibelsnarf or Plesioth. I don't know how much more time I'll put into GenU before Rise, but the gameplay loop is very addictive and (for me) was a great entry point into the series. It'll make me appreciate the new features and QoL of newer games even more, I'd venture to say.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Doki Doki Literature Club - 9/10

Yeah. That was an experience. I'm not into much of anything horror-related or VNs for that matter, but I went and played through it once since a friend had mentioned it. Not much to say other than it was well-written and just as horrifying as I expected. The music was quite nice too when it wasn't distorted and freaking me out of my flipping mind ;p.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Grandia

man what a great trip, I do think it kinda drags on itself in the middle, like you can cut a few hours off in the middle and it wouldn't affect the story at all, but everything else had a lot of heart to it, great combat system too, and I love the visual style

voice acting can get embarrassingly bad though, but that wasn't all that uncommon at the time

Kirino

Tatakae
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

This is probably one of the best games I've ever played. The dialogue, worldbuilding, and overall writing are some of the highest quality I've seen in a video game, not just in the main story, but even in the side quests. It has a ton of story-related choices that are both difficult and actually matter, which is hard to pull off. There's a ton to explore and a huge amount of content, especially with the DLC. The combat is pretty fluid and engaging, too. Graphics and soundtrack are excellent.

I have some minor complaints: some bugs, Novigrad dragging on a little, some choices I didn't quite like, etc. But nothing that really detracts from the experience. There's also some things that went over my head given that I didn't play the first two or read the books, although watching the Netflix series gave me a decent background. Still a ton to do after the main story, so I'm looking forward to playing it more. also, Yen > Triss

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Been playing through the Doom games

Doom—Levels could become confusing but were pretty fun and challenging on the harder difficulties. Game can feel repetitive from time to time due to most levels looking similar. 7/10.

Doom II: Hell On Earth—Levels were more compact than the first and tighter as a result. Enemy list was also expanded and some enemies were tough to the point that in mobs, become frustrating. 7.5/10.

Doom 64–Graphics got a major overhaul and some new weapons made it into this game. Level design was pretty fun and streamlined with its box like approach where switches would constantly alter the level fundamentally making the level itself another type of puzzle. 8/10.

Now to tackle Doom 3.

Gorozoron

wild ride
So I replayed Yo-kai watch 1 and...
8/10
Great game it's a little short if you just rush to the story objectives and there's a few recolors but it is a good start for the series it's best to go slowly through the game and detour a bit
( I'm still doing the post game bosses )

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Tales of the Black Forest - 7.3/10
Fun time waster. Slightly jank, but overall pretty decent short story for its price.

Gato Roboto - 7/10
Fun metroidvania platformer, a bit too simple though.

Dandara: Trials of Fear - 8.7/10
Starts really slow but difficulty and complexity ramp up in an insane way. Currently playing but so far I love it.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Bioshock
I played Infinite years ago, but that was the extent of my experience with this series. Regardless, I remembered enjoying it, so when I saw the collection for sale on steam I decided I’d try it.

If this game does anything right it’s the atmosphere. While Bioshock never becomes terrifying, I was constantly feeling uneasy, even though most of the enemies are rather easy to deal with. The constant voices of desperation and insanity legitimately mess with your mind after a while.

The world is also a treat to explore. Even when the game gave me a clear objective, I still wanted to explore every nook and cranny I could possibly find. The game rewards this through recorded diaries that give you lore, important story bits, and hints that make the city of rapture feel alive, or at least formerly so.

It’s not all perfect though. Despite being on normal difficulty I was constantly running completely dry on ammo and other resources, with most pickups giving you a pitiful amount. Seriously, the revolver pickups give you three bullets, which isn’t enough to kill a single basic enemy. A lot of the passive powers you can get don’t actually feel like they do anything, to the point where you don’t even bother going with any of the exciting ones and just get the defense upgrades and the sort. There’s also a segment towards the middle of the game that gets really annoying, as it’s constantly switching you to your non-weapon powers and locking which one you can use.

Then there’s the Adam mechanic. Adam is a currency of sorts that you get by either saving or killing mutated little girls. If you save them, you get some special rewards every once in a while, but less Adam than if you just kill them. Your choices here also determine what ending you get. Even if you decide to save every one of them, though, you’re still going to have more than enough Adam to carry you throughout the game, so there’s no reason to ever kill them, and therefore you will almost never see the bad endings.

There’s also a handful of mechanics that just... exist. The entirety of the crafting mechanic honestly doesn’t serve any purpose, and I often found myself just ignoring it unless I really needed armor-piercing ammo. The Hacking mini game also quickly overstayed its welcome, and even though it’s not particularly hard, I constantly got annoyed wihaving to do it every time I wanted to buy anything for slightly less than a small fortune

Still, even with all of that, Bioshock is an outstanding title, with an excellent story and world. Even with a few mechanical hiccups, it’s truly a game you have to experience to truly understand it’s worth.

The entire game is very similar to another series I played through recently, being the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Both are heavily atmospheric FPSs with an unconventional control scheme, incredibly detailed explorable worlds, and a story that’s mostly told in past tense through collectible records. If you’ve enjoyed even one of these games, but never played the others, I can’t recommend them enough.

8.5/10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom