• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Random Encounters with Wild Pokemon: Keep Them or Remove Them?

Random encounters with wild Pokemon: Keep them or remove them?

• They should stay, there's nothing really wrong with them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They should stay, but with the option to turn them off

• They should be replaced with a different system entirely

• Total voters
In the mainstream Pokemon games, you've always encountered wild Pokemon completely by chance. You wander into the grass, traipse through the cave, surf over the pond, or whatever, and the game stops you and forces you into battle with a wild Pokemon after awhile. This has been the formula since the beginning, and while it certainly "works," it comes across as redundant and very frustrating to me. If you're forced to stop and acknowledge a Pokemon's existence, most of us are just going to run away if battling it is inconvenient. If we are forced into battle, we almost universally destroy it without much of a struggle. Stopping players for wild Pokemon, then, does nothing to present a challenge except in very rare conditions.

So why are we still stuck there? Random encounters don't really benefit us, but they are heavy annoyances. Sometimes you don't want to stop for every Pokemon you come across; you just want to get across the grassy field. Again, if a wild Pokemon does appear, we will almost always run away immediately. Random encounters with wild Pokemon are large time wasters, giving them more cons than pros.

I'm not instantly suggesting Pokemon roaming the world freely, but I am saying something needs to be done with this huge inconvenience. We should not need twenty cans of Max Repel (which I try to keep on my person at all times) just to save some time. At the very least, players should have the ability to turn random encounters off, if not see Pokemon roaming freely or attract/locate them by other means.

So what do you think? Are random encounters okay to stay, or should they hit the road?

In light of recent comments, perhaps I should reiterate what I mean. I'm not saying there should be no method for acquiring wild Pokemon. It's hard enough to catch all of them as they are; why on earth would I want to further that trend? No, what I'm saying is that random encounters should be rethought into a more convenient, less redundant form. Ostensibly, no, it does not cost much to buy Repels, but it wouldn't take much to redesign the Pokemon encounter system so you don't waste two minutes crossing a field that would normally take ten seconds, either.

Last edited:

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
If I encounter a wild Pokemon, I let it go. If I search for a wild Pokemon, I keep it. I don't rarely keep Pokemon because I could be in a hurry or something. I sometimes use the wild Pokemon so that my Pokemon can get stronger.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Random encounters is one of the many elements that make up a Pokémon game. Without them, each game would feel incomplete. If you really dislike random encounters that much, repels, super repels, and max repels do not cost that much, and aren't much of a pain to deal with. I'd rather use a full can of max repel, versus running into about 20 wild Pokémon. Regardless of that, I still believe random encounters should stick with the series. Without random encounters, collecting all 640+ Pokémon would be very close to impossible, unless you're an obsessive trader.

So in short, yes they should stay, but I suppose an option that turns random encounters off wouldn't hurt.

Night Owl

~Momentai
If they go, We need an alternative method for finding wild pokemon.
Perhaps we could see them like we do trainers, but that limits the feel of the quantity of pokemon that are wild.
Making the environment change; such as dust clouds, rustling grass, ripples, is probably the best way to go.
You would see the change and know a wild pokemon is there. You could avoid those squares if you didn't want a fight.

I am all for them leaving. I get tired of random encounters, especially If I'm trying to hurry to a center.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Wild encounters are good for your health. Haha, no, jk, they play an important factor in the game(s). Not only do you level up by defeating wild Pokes, but you can catch them, and also you can catch shiny pokemon, if you get lucky enough, that is. So I think wild encounters can stay for future games, or else the game would feel so different, so new.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Random encounters should definitely stay. They are a main mechanic of the games, and to change that would make Pokemon feel like something else entirely. The turn-off button would also shatter the illusion of the world to me, I like to delve into the world and come across Pokemon out in the wild at random, turning that off would make it feel less like a world and more like... well I don't know what it would feel like, but it would be shallow.

Having said all that, I think what might benefit them is if, in all the overworld routes, there is always one path you can take that can let you avoid the Pokemon. You want to go out and catch them or train your own with them? Go right ahead. But if you just want to go to the next town with no hassles, there should at least be a paved road you can walk on with no fear of wild Pokemon jumping out at you. And on major water routes and caves that connect towns, there should be ferries and carts, respectively, that can take you to the other side with no problems.

Go into places that are off the beaten path, though, and you're on your own.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I mean random encounters are how I lvl up....rarely if ever do I grind in Pokemon games....I just let myself level from the random encounters. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Wild Pokémon encounters are essential in Pokémon. They are there for capturing, training and progressing through the game. Completely removing that factor from Pokémon will be the biggest mistake in the history of Pokémon. If you really can't be bothered to take the opportunity to catch some new Pokémon or to train, just use any 3 of the Repels available. In a sense they are not forcing you to encounter these Pokémon, but without them how are you going to progress? I know for a fact that just relying on Trainer Battles is not enough to advance. And then there is the Pokédex, without random encounters you will completely struggle with that. Again you don't have to do it, but it's a major challenge in Pokémon that alot of people actually attempt and complete.

There is a solution to avoiding random encounters, removing it completely is a step too far.

Last edited:
Wild Pokémon encounters are essential in Pokémon. They are there for capturing, training and progressing through the game. Completely removing that factor from Pokémon will be the biggest mistake in the history of Pokémon. If you really can't be bothered to take the opportunity to catch some new Pokémon or to train, just use any 3 of the Repels available. In a sense they are not forcing you to encounter these Pokémon, but without them how are you going to progress? I know for a fact that just relying on Trainer Battles is not enough to advance. And then there is the Pokédex, without random encounters you will completely struggle with that. Again you don't have to do it, but it's a major challenge in Pokémon that alot of people actually attempt and complete.

There is a solution to avoiding random encounters, removing it completely is a step too far.

I will repeat myself: I'm not saying Pokemon should remove wild Pokemon battles entirely. That would be absolutely insane. (Actually, didn't they do that with Coliseum and Gale of Darkness?) I'm saying random encounters as they are are very inconvenient, and the system needs to be rethought. Total removal of wild Pokemon? Absolutely not.

The "just use Repels" argument doesn't hold much water, either; it still costs players time and money to get around something that shouldn't be there in its current form in the first place. It's like having Game Freak provide you with a chair that has a thumbtack in the middle. Sure, sitting on a thumbtack may not be the end of the world, but would it really be so hard to remove it and make the act of sitting more pleasant?

I have an unfortunate feeling I'll have to redo this poll, as it's clearly being misunderstood. Remember, the keyword is "replace," not "remove." Wild Pokemon should never be removed. But the system for encountering them should be replaced.

Fig

The Altruist
I personally don't mind having wild Pokémon encounters as they are helpful to me at multiple times. Plus, it is a classical feature of Pokémon, therefore, I think it still has to be in every Pokémon RPG! :3

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
I persanaly think Pokemon should be a 3D 3erd person game that lets you run around, throw pokeballs as seeable wild pokemon, walk around as your pokemon, pressing buttons to attack, and jump, also 9including dodge, tha'd be awesome- and wild encounters are all Pokemon is. don't dropt it.

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
I think that if you are walking through an area with all level 3,4, & 5 Pokemon and your Pokemon team is level 20 and up, then you should not have wild encounters for the sake of those short tempered ones. Now, if you have Pokemon that need training, then keep it on. Basically, I think it should be determined on the strength of your team at the time.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I think personally that random Pokemon encounters should stay. They are a nice way to find Pokemon that your looking for sometimes and help you build up your Pokemon arsenal.

I will admit thought that there are times that these encounters greatly annoy me. I'll be sitting there walking along minding my own business, trying to get somewhere and then BAM, cue random Pokemon encounter music! The first couple of times it doesn't bother me, but if it continually happens especially if it's one of those that where I JUST get out of one and then take three steps and run into another one, then I become a very frustrated knowlee. >_< So needless to say I end up stocking up on plenty of Repels to prevent this from occurring a lot...

But does that mean that I wish for this system to leave? Heck, no! Even though it annoys me to no end sometimes (especially when I have somewhere I need to get to), I don't want it to be taken out of the game. Like I have mentioned before this system is a nice way to amass your Pokemon arsenal, catch Pokemon for you to trade to others if they happen to be looking for a particular one, and plus it does add a bit of realness to the game. I mean if we lived in a world where Pokemon actually did exist and we were wondering around in the wild or on back roads trying to get from place to place, sure we'd run into them randomly. Although the randomness wouldn't be quite as dramatic as it is depicted on the game screen in real life, but still it does add a bit of reality to the game but having us randomly encounter them.

I will repeat myself: I'm not saying Pokemon should remove wild Pokemon battles entirely. That would be absolutely insane. (Actually, didn't they do that with Coliseum and Gale of Darkness?) I'm saying random encounters as they are are very inconvenient, and the system needs to be rethought. Total removal of wild Pokemon? Absolutely not.

The "just use Repels" argument doesn't hold much water, either; it still costs players time and money to get around something that shouldn't be there in its current form in the first place. It's like having Game Freak provide you with a chair that has a thumbtack in the middle. Sure, sitting on a thumbtack may not be the end of the world, but would it really be so hard to remove it and make the act of sitting more pleasant?

I have an unfortunate feeling I'll have to redo this poll, as it's clearly being misunderstood. Remember, the keyword is "replace," not "remove." Wild Pokemon should never be removed. But the system for encountering them should be replaced.

I know it's annoying to walk into the wild and encounter Pokémon one step after the other, but I think the whole point of wild encounters is to make the game a little realistic and to make the game last. As I recall in some games there are paths you can take to avoid wild Pokémon encounters for example route 7 in Pokémon Black and White. There is a path all the way in which you can avoid wild Pokémon, but you have to put up with NPC trainers to make up for it.

If you had the option to disable wild encounters, you then don't have any reason to fight and you'll probably rush through the game and you end up at the elite 4 struggling because you haven't given your Pokémon the full training training experience. As I said before there are way to avoid wild encounters and it's not just repels either. of course there's the repels, you have cleanse tags as well, Pokémon abilities like intimidate which lower the encounter rate etc. There are many ways to avoid Wild Pokémon encounters and if you can't be bothered to go out of your way and prepare yourself, then there isn't much you can't do. You could get a cheat device and disable wild encounters, but then you won't be playing the game properly. Although it's a fact that it can be done, I highly doubt Game Freak will make the option official, because ultimately it kinda loses the charm of Pokémon.

Last edited:
I know it's annoying to walk into the wild and encounter Pokémon one step after the other, but I think the whole point of wild encounters is to make the game a little realistic and to make the game last. As I recall in some games there are paths you can take to avoid wild Pokémon encounters for example route 7 in Pokémon Black and White. There is a path all the way in which you can avoid wild Pokémon, but you have to put up with NPC trainers to make up for it.

If you had the option to disable wild encounters, you then don't have any reason to fight and you'll probably rush through the game and you end up at the elite 4 struggling because you haven't given your Pokémon the full training training experience. As I said before there are way to avoid wild encounters and it's not just repels either. of course there's the repels, you have cleanse tags as well, Pokémon abilities like intimidate which lower the encounter rate etc. There are many ways to avoid Wild Pokémon encounters and if you can't be bothered to go out of your way and prepare yourself, then there isn't much you can't do. You could get a cheat device and disable wild encounters, but then you won't be playing the game properly. Although it's a fact that it can be done, I highly doubt Game Freak will make the option official, because ultimately it kinda loses the charm of Pokémon.

(Warning: Long post imminent.)

I would think the option of turning off random encounters would lend a sense of freedom. Most RPGs have heavy focuses on freedom and exploration (hence why they are "role-playing" games). Pokemon in particular is centered around "catching 'em all." If you want to add more Pokemon to your collection or grind a little, you have the choice of poking around in the grass and looking for them. If your short-term goal is to reach the next Pokemon Gym and defeat its Leader, being stopped every few steps for something you don't want or even need gets old and frustrating quickly. Again, if you choose to stop and catch some Pokemon (as most players are wont to do considering the point of the series), that's your choice. If your goal happens to be anything else (which it quite often is), Pokemon leaping out at you is going to be a heavy nuisance. If the player shows up to the Elite Four with nothing but two Level 15 Pokemon, that's the player's fault, and they'll go back and correct their mistakes. One of the wonders RPGs have (or should have) is the freedom to fail and learn from your mistakes, so long as these mistakes don't destroy the enjoyability of the game. If the Gym Leader is too difficult because players have been slacking, any player who has found the game enjoyable thus far will put in the extra time to correct their behavior, and they'll probably appreciate the game's sense of freedom to boot.

This is also a good point to talk about realism. Realism cannot infringe upon gameplay and restrict the player. (I believe I mentioned this somewhere else, but I don't feel like looking for it right now.) Players do not actually bleed when shot in Call of Duty, Link does not randomly catch an illness and get bedridden for a week in The Legend of Zelda, and doors do not malfunction and prevent you from beating the game in Metroid Prime. Realism can only go so far before it becomes a bad thing, which is why video games tend to be a little unrealistic. Therefore, Pokemon lunging for my face every few seconds may be a bit more realistic, but it still makes the act of playing the game more of a chore than it should be. I play games to play them, not to play around or under them.

The real point of this thread was to determine what better courses of action could be taken to make wild Pokemon encounters both more fun and more immersing. The answer may not be as simple as "turn random encounters off" or "make Pokemon roam the world in 3D." Perhaps it's a mixture of many different solutions, like Pokemon roaming the world that you're able to lure by finding exclusive "recipes" (if you will) that attract those Pokemon to you. There are many more ways to make it fun and realistic without burdening players. Even some of the people on this thread who've voted that random encounters stay have admitted these sudden stops in gameplay are annoying in certain scenarios (scenarios which happen all too often in my opinion). If there is still a general area for negativity surrounding a feature, it can be improved, which is what I was hoping people would bring to the forefront on this thread.

Regarding your comment on taking different paths to avoid random encounters, I would still debate that. Through my experience in the first four generations (one way or another), these paths are not that common. When you do find them, there is usually another hitch in the plan, such as Trainers on that path who will force you into battle anyway or an HM needed to progress that part of the terrain (HMs need to be rethought as well, but that's for another time). All things considering, these alternate paths are so scarce and inherently limiting that they're almost pointless. Furthermore, what happens when you enter a cave or surf on water? There currently are no "alternate paths" that allow you to bypass random encounters, as every step within those confines is a chance to spring a Pokemon. Some caves are big, confusing, and complex, like Turnback Cave in the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum games. It's easy to run out of Repels there, and many Pokemon are powerful enough to overcome the Repel anyway. Then when you run out of Repels because you got lost, you're stuck constantly bumping into a bunch of Pokemon who aren't really strong enough to pose a "challenge" to you anyway, but are sometimes fast enough or have abilities that prevent you from running. There are no alternate paths here that can save you, so you're stuck with the hassle.

I don't consider random encounters to be an integral part of Pokemon, either. Random encounters were in place long before Pokemon, in the likes of games such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, making them a common feature in RPGs. In other words, random encounters don't really "define" Pokemon; it was just a generic system inherited from its role-playing brethren. Other common RPG features included 2D pixelated graphics, text boxes as opposed to any sort of voice acting, and questionable translation, but the genre has since moved up from those standards. Pokemon is one of those franchises which appears to have yet to move up with them. Which is why we still have largely 2D graphics and random encounters. Pokemon utilized random encounters because they were the norm way back in the day, not because it was anything novel. That norm had inherent flaws, flaws it would be foolish not to try and correct somehow. Aside from Repels, Pokemon doesn't appear to have tried to correct them.

I know it may seem like I'm trying to force everyone's opinions to my own, but I still get the impression most of the people here aren't thinking outside the box much. It almost seems (to me) like they're acknowledging this is just something Pokemon has always done, so it shouldn't change, regardless of what flaws it has. I'm saying if it has flaws, said flaws should be corrected, which requires at least incremental changes in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom