• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Progressive Rock

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I am honestly surprised nobody creates threads about different musical genres. You'd figure that'd be a fairly common thing, but evidently not....guess that means I get to start this! :D
Well, for those of you who don't know what progressive rock (or colloquially known as 'prog' or 'prog rock') is, you can just follow this very conveniently placed link. ;)
If you're too lazy to read the Wikipedia article linked above, giving you a few notable progressive bands should help: Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Tool, Radiohead

Anyways, do you guys like progressive rock or any of the bands listed in the considerably small text above? Do you guys particularly dislike progressive rock or any of the bands listed in the same considerably small text? Have any other bands that I should add to that list? Do you prefer the more artistic side of progressive rock (Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Tool), or the more normal side (Rush, Yes)? Discussion shall now commence.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I'm definitely a proghead, and I could write thousands upon thousands of words about my favorite bands. The Moody Blues, who arguably aren't prog (but nail the "attitude" so to speak) are what got me into less conventional music within a conventional structure--their 60s and 70s material is still some of my favorite music. Iron Maiden (yes, I believe Iron Maiden has at least had prog elements since the first album) and Dream Theater piqued my interest even more in 2005, and other metal bands like Savatage and Sonata Arctica, which also bear prog influences, kept me interested. So my journey to prog started with metal, which is pretty close: metal bands often tout unconventional song structures and technical skill, so I'd say metal and prog are at least cousins.

It wasn't until 2008, when I was browsing for information about Symphony X's V: The Mythology Suite, that I stumbled on a funny anecdote from Wikipedia: A fellow prog band on the same label had released an album around the same time, also called V, with a very, very similar cover. The band was called Spock's Beard.

Spock's Beard? What kind of a name is that? I had to hear it. I promptly bought V, and was greeted with this:

[video=youtube;pidj1rhZdXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidj1rhZdXg[/video]

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If I could write music, this is what I'd write. I spun the CD until it didn't work and purchased the Beard's whole discography--not one bad album. Amazing. I began to expand my sights into other bands, including Genesis:

[video=youtube;SD5engyVXe0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5engyVXe0[/video]

Kansas:

[video=youtube;qOVxNppbvBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOVxNppbvBc[/video]

and King Crimson, Rush, Yes, The Flower Kings, Marillion and The Dear Hunter.

I have more to say, but I'm short on time. That's an introduction, and only an introduction, to some of my favorite prog bands. It's most of what I listen to now, because prog can contain elements of every genre, but it can also maintain the accessibility of rock and pop.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Progressive Rock is some of my favorite music. I really dig how the songs builds on themselves the entire time until that epic ending that leaves you wanting to hear it again. This is one reason that ...And Justice for All is my favorite Metallica album. It's so moving, so different from typical the typical mainstream music (not that I don't like some of that, as well). Progressive Rock pwns. I like it. I love it. I want some more of it.

I LOVE PROGRESSIVE ROCK!!! Rush is the greatest rock band of all time!!! You should definitely add Genesis to the list, they were great too (at least when the genius named Peter Gabriel was with them). It just sucks that this music was popular only in the 70s and early 80s and has basically died.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
YESSSS! (the band too :) )
Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Tool (their concerts are spiritual experiences and I do not do drugs), Peter Gabriel, King Crimson (Adrian Belew), David Bowie, Brian Eno, and Radiohead (they sound amazing live) are some of my favorites that are considered "progressive". I know musicians don't always enjoy being labelled necessarily into one genre, so if I had to pick my favorites they would be indie, classic rock, art rock, avant garde, synth heavy 80's rock (think The Cure), and of course progressive. Don't forget some of the female rockers out there too. Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Joni Mitchell, and Joan Jett are all amazing as well. Joni Mitchell can outplay any dude on the guitar.

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
Pink Floyd and Yes are my favorites. Some things of Genesis are great, too.

Prog rock is one of my favorite genres of music. Rush and Pink Floyd are my two favorite bands. In fact I'm listening to Rush right now. I also listen to Genesis, Yes, Dream Theater, and Radiohead.

Neil Peart is the greatest drummer ever and that is non-negotiable.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Majora's Shadow said:
Prog rock is one of my favorite genres of music. Rush and Pink Floyd are my two favorite bands. In fact I'm listening to Rush right now. I also listen to Genesis, Yes, Dream Theater, and Radiohead.

Neil Peart is the greatest drummer ever and that is non-negotiable.

Ehh... have you seen Danny Carey play? I'm not saying he's as good as Neil Peart (that guy's a freaking legend), but he's really good nonetheless.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
Danny Carey is a creature that has been hitting things since he was in utero. That man is a craaaaazy drummer. He is the sole reason I began to listen to Tool. My older brother plays drums and freaking worshiped him growing up. I was the copycat little sis. :)

If I remember correctly, he was heavily influenced by Neil from Rush, right Drew?

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Hmm... I'm not entirely sure from where he is influenced--Wikipedia never said anything about it. :P
But I definitely have to agree... Danney Carey is right on par with Neil Peart (of Rush) in terms of drumming. Just listen to Lateralus (I mean the whole album, not just the song), and you'll see my point. :D

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I like prog rock quite a bit. Tool is a great band, as is Rush. I'd also, in my opinion, call Coheed and Cambria Progressive Rock since they have that unique instrumentation and style about them. Here's a little sample with one of their more popular songs, just for those of you who don't know who they are (or for those who do and want to give it a listen ;))

[video=youtube;vGpbd6BUO0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpbd6BUO0I[/video]

Now I know some people don't necessarily like what can be generalized as "screamo" but I've found quite a few progressive deathcore bands that are easily some of the best in their genre. They often use math rock type beats. In particular a few called Animals as Leader (mostly instrumentally similar to deathcore but they don't have vocals in their songs), Periphery, Veil of Maya, Fail Emotions, and Born of Osiris (my personal favorite). Born of Osiris, in particular, specializes in a 7/4 beat, commonly used in many of their songs. They play hard and fast but at the same time know how to make a melodious song.

CAFO - Animals as Leaders
Captain On - Periphery
Icarus Lives! - Periphery (you might need to turn up the volume for this one)
Makes Bad - Fail Emotions
Martyrs - Veil of Maya
XIV/Behold - Born of Osiris
Singularity - Born of Osiris

Like I said, I don't know how much anyone here will enjoy these but I wanted to site some of the progressive deathcore I listen to.

EDIT: I also wanted to share this. A new song by Fail Emotions. It's quite exemplary of their style. Reborn - Fail Emotions

Last edited:

Haley_Oyo

Winner of Dundies
Love Progessive Rock. I'm a big Zeppelin fan.

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you.
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me.

Now those were lyrics. Nowadays we just have Nicki Minaj on the radio singing/rapping/yelling ''You a stupid hoe.'' and having elementary age girls looking up to her. Whatever. Take me to a time where good prog rock is on the radio more than this junk.

I'm actually listening to ''Fake Plastic Trees'' while typing this :P

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Now those were lyrics. Nowadays we just have Nicki Minaj on the radio singing/rapping/yelling ''You a stupid hoe.'' and having elementary age girls looking up to her.

I heard that song for the first time a few days back.... how does anyone enjoy that?

I'm actually listening to ''Fake Plastic Trees'' while typing this :P

Have you listened to any of Radiohead's more recent stuff? I know a lot of people only listen to The Bends and OK Computer, but Kid A is definitely worth a listen!!

Hanyou

didn't build that
I brought up The Dear Hunter in an earlier post, but can't stress enough how good it is.

[video=youtube;5MHd28VJo_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MHd28VJo_M[/video]

I'm partial to 70s prog, but this is one band that sounds decidedly modern and is still good. It's no Yes, Genesis, or Kansas, but it is unique and welcome in the prog world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom