• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Popular Things You Dislike

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
The 72 hour limit in MM, I love so many aspects of MM, so many, it's a great game, but the 72 hour time limit and having to turn back time and restart an then redo stuff in order to get back to places you want to go, it drives me insane...

WW artstyle, it's too plain, the bright colors combined with the sharp turns you take while playing hurts my eyes.

I'm not particularily fond of the silent realms in SS, I can't fully explain it. I don't mind the difficulty and having to work around the clock for a specific task, and being a fan of asian horror, I don't really mind the creepy elements of it, but I guess the combination of both is what irks me. I've actually paused playing SS after completing the first silent realm, not loving the fact that I have to repeat the process two more times before I can move on with the game :S

I don't dislike Ocarina of Time, but like a person above said about MM I dislike the amount of praise it gets given. Great game, but nothing like the hype it gets. In my opinion, it's just another Zelda game and the only thing that I see sets it apart really are the advancements it made at the time. Sure it took the Zelda franchise into 3D, but that doesn't make it somehow better than other 3D, or even the earlier 2D games. It's like me saying I prefer an old black and white TV to a modern plasma simply because it came first.

Of course, that's not to say all fans only like it for said reason.

Another thing I dislike is the people out there who automatically reject anything new in the franchise or hate on it for little reason other than they lack the nostalgia that came with earlier titles. I see it all the time "Twilight Princess is awful!" Why? "Because I grew up with aLttP!". That's a terrible reason to prefer something...
It isn't even exclusive to Zelda. You see it with things like Pokemon or even television series and films. People reject the modern instalments and when questioned can provide no good reason other than "The first one was better". If a person can provide me with a valid reason like they prefer the atmosphere or dungeons of a game, I don't mind at all and opinion's an opinion. But old***s make me rage.
This is exactly how I feel. OoT gets to much credit where I feel its not due. For example I haven't played through the game yet because I found it to be boring and unimmersive. Also people hate on Fi way too much.

Majoras Mask
I never understood why so many people love this game. Sure, the characters and storytelling are some of the best in the series, but I feel that's all it has going for it. The three-day-mechanic, the incredibly short dungeons, the awkward saving mechanic, and so much more is why I genuinley dislike this game and can't stand playing it. It is a chore to beat this game, worse than vaccuming.

Sailing In The Wind Waker
Ok, multiple people have explained to me why they hate this, but every single reason is bogus and unjustifiable IMO.

- "It's Boring" - Since when is traveling supposed to be fun? If you ask me, The Wind Waker's sailing was the most fun traveling mechanic in the entire series. Beautiful music to listen to, inspiring weather patterns to behold, and islands in the distance waiting to be discovered. How is the sailing in Wind Waker boring at all?

- "It Takes To Long" - A little less than half way through the game you are able to acquire the cyclone teleportation method. Anything before that moment, and if you choose to follow the storyline and not explore, you don't even do that much sailing anyways. The bulk of the sailing done is during the parts after you are able to acquire the teleportation method. I agree that changing the direction of the wind gets monotonous, but I can overlook that.

Motion Controls
I did not like Skyward Sword's motion controls, and I do not feel they made the combat more interactive or in-depth. I think that you either need to improve on the motion controls implementation or improve the enemeies AI.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I really don't like the almost carefree tone of the WW-style games, specifically ST. I know these aren't carefree per se, but the style is still rather popular.

I hate Midna. I know she isn't universally loved, but I think most people would consider her popular. And I hate her. And I don't mean "Boy, she sure is annoying" kind of hate; I mean pure unbridled fury. I hate the crap she says, her design (especially in her non-imp form; she looked like the offspring of a smurf and a giraffe), her stupid gibberish, her inability to be in any way helpful, the fact that she manipulates the player into getting the fused shadows, the fact that she won't let the player transform or warp in front of people (seriously, they can deal with it; I'm saving their lives for crap's sake), and I especially hate the fact that I never got to see her die. That would've been the only thing she could've done to redeem herself.

Wow this is just pure anger.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Unconditional Praise of Newer 3D Zelda games and those games themselves
It's a successful video game, but as a Zelda game I personally believe it fell short of the Zelda mark of mastery. I mean, just because it's a new 3D Zelda doesn't make it the best Zelda. Ever since Twilight Princess, fans have been at the ready to praise a new Zelda because there seemed to be a drought of sorts. TWW disappointed many because of the cartoon graphics. TP was practically a godsend seeing as how it looked so real more like Spaceworld 2000. And then there were the giddy fangirls who couldn't get any more excited from the Wolf Link look (they cared nothing about his character, just the wolf). Come SS and with the Miyamoto Logic of "if this game isn't better than OoT, no more Zelda", everyone praises it because it's pretty and perhaps they do in fact want more Zelda.

It isn't that TP or SS (currently the only examples) are bad. It's that they're not the best of the Zelda fort. They're more like bricks at the top of the castle than the foundation (LoZ, ALttP, OoT). They make the series look nice in the end, sure, but they're not vital and they certainly do not deserve the praise that most give them.

Volvagia Love in OoT
Yeah, s/he's (iirc he but whatever) a cool, good and effective boss. Yeah, s/he's a dragon to boot. Okay, so what? I never understood the love for Volvagia or however you spell the name. Everyone gapes at the mention of this boss, whether it's in relation to Skyward Sword, Ocarina, or just a hypothetical Zelda game. Dragons are cool and good effective bosses are cool. Volvagia was kind of...just there though.

I don't care for the forest temple(OoT). The place creeps me out to this day, I hated hunting the poe sisters, I always seem to get mixed up on what door goes to what area in that central room, the design is kind of boring, and it seems boring to beat. If it has one thing going for it though, it is atmosphere.

Majora's Mask
I don't really see why people consider it to be a dark game. Yeah if you just play through the game and not think about what is happening then you may say it is a dark game, but really it isn't. There is an underlying theme of friendship and hope. I mean the whole story started as a character (Skull Kid) becoming friends with the giants and them leaving him. Also Link leaves Hyrule in order to find a friend who we never figure out. Lastly the whole game is based around helping people.

Ocarina of Time
I don't really understand why people say Ocarina of Time has a great story. The story is the typical adventure of hero saving his kingdom and rescuing the damsel in distress. Majora's Mask story on the other hand was truly unique.

MW7

Unconditional Praise of Newer 3D Zelda games and those games themselves
It's a successful video game, but as a Zelda game I personally believe it fell short of the Zelda mark of mastery. I mean, just because it's a new 3D Zelda doesn't make it the best Zelda. Ever since Twilight Princess, fans have been at the ready to praise a new Zelda because there seemed to be a drought of sorts. TWW disappointed many because of the cartoon graphics. TP was practically a godsend seeing as how it looked so real more like Spaceworld 2000. And then there were the giddy fangirls who couldn't get any more excited from the Wolf Link look (they cared nothing about his character, just the wolf). Come SS and with the Miyamoto Logic of "if this game isn't better than OoT, no more Zelda", everyone praises it because it's pretty and perhaps they do in fact want more Zelda.

It isn't that TP or SS (currently the only examples) are bad. It's that they're not the best of the Zelda fort. They're more like bricks at the top of the castle than the foundation (LoZ, ALttP, OoT). They make the series look nice in the end, sure, but they're not vital and they certainly do not deserve the praise that most give them.
I agree that some people or organizations (IGN) can be absolutely blind in their praise of newer games. It bothers me to read "reviews" of these games that completely ignore blatantly obvious faults in these games regardless of how minor they are (like the bug/treasure notifications in Skyward Sword). I mean since when is a game review a form of propaganda with the intent of making everyone love the game as much as possible rather than actually giving consumers a fair and balanced look at a game? Unconditional praise does happen with Ocarina of Time with some fans as well though (and other games to a lesser extent).

Vaati should be in a console Zelda
No, I feel that the portable Zelda games should keep that boring villain and leave the other villains for the consoles.
I can't see Vaati immortalized into a console Zelda game for many reasons. One specifically being that his design would probably be the same to keep the fanboys and girls happy. Vaatis' human form for me looks like a small purple clown priest type creature, I can't see Nintendo fixing it up to look villainous at all.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Midna was an obnoxious, ugly imp who, in spite of a forced character evolution, was never once tolerable for me. She hijacked the entire game and represented almost everything that's wrong with modern Zelda, shoving the linear gameplay into a mediocre story.

I don't know what possessed Nintendo to construct her character. As a gamer, I don't like to feel restricted by a single annoying character. The fact that she treated Link very poorly, and Link tolerated it without much protest, ruined his character for me as well.

Twilight Princess' whole tone felt off to me as well, mostly because it didn't add anything to the fantasy genre. Games like Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker had a distinct character and were bursting with creativity.

I may as well not run down the laundry list of everything wrong with Twilight Princess again, but suffice to say it's popular and I can't fathom why.

I don't like the dark world. I wish it had a more interesting color scheme and you spent much less time in it.

Other than the dark world and Twilight Princess in general, I don't think there are any popular things I dislike in most games.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Okay so I do hate Navi and always have. Long before I saw any fanfiction or meme cementing her as annoying, I disliked Navi. However, I can live with her. Secondly, I thought that if there's anything SS did well, it was Fi. I liked Fi and don't understand all the hate. Dowsing was also very helpful even if the noise made me want to break something.
Onwards to my actual answer to the question:

1. I hate the Shadow Temple in OoT. Everyone is all oooh a horror dungeon. No. Any place with invisible holes in the floor forcing you back to the top just because you've run out of magic to use your eye of truth, or similarly springs stupid skulltulas on your head for the same reason, please go away. It was a good dungeon overall but I just hated that aspect of it.

2. Second OoT grouch which is related are the hover boots, and the iron boots to some extent (though this was just because the n64 water temple makes you tired of switching between boots very quickly). Theoretically in the fight with Ganondorf, the hover boots make running between the centre platform and the ledge on the outside easier, but it doesn't because the boots lack traction. This applies to other uses of these boots in the game but this is the most obvious example I can think of. I know some people are like "but the hover boots are so cool" no they're not. End of.

3. Majoras Mask Epona grouch. Someone already said this but YES WHY CAN LINK RIDE EPONA AS A KID IN MM BUT NOT OOT?? Other than that there's not a whole lot wrong with MM in my opinion.

4. Twilight Princess. I can't pinpoint exactly what bugged me about this game. It had a good story and I liked the design and the gameplay was pleasing. But there was something so annoying about it. Plus it's not one where you feel you can replay it because the tutorials are too long and the pace is kind of slow.

5. Furthermore, Midna. I don't hate Midna, I think she was an okay assistant thingy to Link. However, to me she does just seem exactly like Tatl. EXACTLY like Tatl. Except not a fairy. 0 points for Midna's reputation as a "innovative, fun friend bursting with wise-cracks and sarcasm". She's just Tatl with better lines.

FINALLY 6. Why do people feel the need to be so furious about ALttP's placement in the timeline??? I don't get why it's so annoying to people. I know it leaves you scrathing your head if you're looking for a definitive Zelda timeline but tbh it's not all down to Nintendo to fill in the gaps is it? Seeing as they're proposing a possible ALttP remake or sequel, perhaps some of the issues will be cleared up. Until then, sit tight and either theorise on the timeline yourself or leave it alone, don't be so angry about it. Honestly. There is plenty of time for more games that might make things more clear. At the time of ALttP's release they probably didn't particularly have the timeline in mind, at least not to the extent that they now do.

ZeldaFAYZ6251

Twilight Princess Lover
I agree with Navi-Hate because when I seriously didn't not get how an enemy worked I wen straight to her and she helped. Her voice got me a little annoyed but not as much as other people would say. I actually loved TP's dark atmosphere it gave it another feel to it as other games did. But Majora's Mask felt a little different then Tp's dark did. :):):):)

I hated almost everything about twilight princess. I hated the graphics, the characters, the art style, the story, the dungeons, the items, the difficulty level, the overworld, and most of all i hated midna! She was annoying and never seemed to grow on me
This really hurts me in the inside. I know it is an open post and stuff but I love TP. Sorry :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom