• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Okami!~

Kirino

Tatakae
. At this point, I'm so upset with how difficult Okami is, that I'm thinking of just trading it in at Gamestop to help me pay for another game. Without even beating it first. I'm already upset that I was unable to get some of the secrets in the game, because I had to skip over the beehive rolling game, and another variant of the digging game. That failure depressed me so much that I decided to just skip all the optional stuff and go straight through the main quest... and now I can't even do that! This game is as hard as a jawbreaker. I don't see how anyone could enjoy it... it's too hard of a game to be enjoyable.

I've had more than my share of frustrations with it. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are games that I could play over again if I had to, despite the frustrations... while this one just isn't worth it at all. You get stuck on one thing for SO long.

Thanks for the effort, but I think I'm too upset with this game... I'm still angry even after months away from it, because I really feel like I was cheated by it.

Really? I didn't find Okami hard at all. Most people didn't. And that's the right video you were showing. Just try following exactly what they do in that video. Look at that video at the same time as you're playing the game. Or if you can't bring the video to your video game, then keep going back and forth from your computer to your TV. And no offense, but you seem like a novice when it comes to video games. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are some of the easiest games I've played. And I don't think you should sell Okami just because you keeep getting stuck. It's a really great game, and this is the last time you have to do this digging thing. Is this the only part that frustrates you, or is there more. If there's more than tell me, cause I might be able to give you some tips.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
And no offense, but you seem like a novice when it comes to video games. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are some of the easiest games I've played. And I don't think you should sell Okami just because you keeep getting stuck. It's a really great game, and this is the last time you have to do this digging thing. Is this the only part that frustrates you, or is there more. If there's more than tell me, cause I might be able to give you some tips.

I'm not a novice at all. I'm 23, and I've been playing video games since I was 5. And I haven't generally struggled with other games the way I struggle with these games. I've beaten The Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, the Oracle games, and Twilight Princess on the Gamecube without much trouble at all.

I just find a lot of Wii and DS games EXTREMELY difficult because of the wand/stylus. I mean, I can play well enough with it, but I end up having a lot of trouble when I'm expected to be precise and/or fast with it. Even my handwriting isn't very good. It's easier with the DS stylus than the Wii wand, but both of them are a lot harder to use than, say, the Gamecube controller. PH and ST would probably be fairly easy if I were playing them with a regular controller, but they HAVE to be easier, because the controls are so much more difficult. I keep slashing when I mean to roll, accidentally selecting an item when I want to move (and vice-versa), etc.

I think it's more a case of an old dog not being able to learn new tricks, than me being a novice.

There were other things in the game that frustrated me, but they were mostly optional things up to now. The worst problem was trying to roll that beehive to that bear, which made me give up on all the optional stuff.

I like the story of the game, and some parts of the gameplay, but I just don't know if I can handle it... it's too much for me.

Last edited:

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
I picked up Okami a week ago, but have only been able to play about an hours worth... ugh to busy!!!

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I'm doing a research project on Japanese mythology and I'm doing a section about mythology in video games so I'm talking about Zelda and Okami. I've barely played Okami, but I'm going to try to beat it over the summer.

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
I'm doing a research project on Japanese mythology and I'm doing a section about mythology in video games so I'm talking about Zelda and Okami. I've barely played Okami, but I'm going to try to beat it over the summer.
Oh now that is cool ^^ hope you have fun!

Nicole

luke is my wife
athenian200 said:
I think it's more a case of an old dog not being able to learn new tricks, than me being a novice.

There were other things in the game that frustrated me, but they were mostly optional things up to now. The worst problem was trying to roll that beehive to that bear, which made me give up on all the optional stuff.

I like the story of the game, and some parts of the gameplay, but I just don't know if I can handle it... it's too much for me.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. In my case, I fell in love with Okami within the first few minutes of playing it. Some parts of the game, I must agree, are frustrating, specifically, the one you mentioned. However, the difference in the two of us is probably that I've actually been good with the Wii controls since it was released, as well as the DS controls.

The most frustrating parts of the game for me did have to do with the WiiMote. The digging game in Sei'An City, and the log ride outside of Agata Forest were extremely tough to me. That was always one of the problems with the Wii controls. You have to be precise on a very imprecise system.

However, I still enjoyed Okami immensly, despite some gimmickly controls thrown in. If you ever feel that you just might want to pick up Okami again, I hope you do.

LolGames4U said:

Well, Okami is a great place to do so, even more than Zelda, perhaps. Okami takes place in Nippon, which I think might actually be a real place...? Anyway, you said you'd beat it over the summer? I don't think it will even take that long. On the game, I racked up 40+ hours of gameplay doing almost all of the sidequests. That may seem like a lot, but I played it every day after school. I was so in love with that game... I suppose it depends on how much you get into it. Anywho, I hope you like it. It certainly does hold some themes of Japan in it.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney

That would be a perfect excuse for you to play Okami, as Japanese mythology is all over the place in this game. This gamefaqs guide is a good place to start, but it is VERY spoilery if you haven't played the game yet - I wouldn't read it until after you've finished.

Okami takes place in Nippon, which I think might actually be a real place...?

"Nippon" is a native name for Japan, so yes, it's a real place. ;)

That's actually one thing I love about the game - it's such a product of its culture. The art style is based off sumi-e, which is an East Asian style of art. A lot of the architecture is based on that from feudal Japan. The characters and story arcs often rely heavily on Japanese mythology.There are a lot of things about the game that work for me, but that adds another layer of depth to me - it's really interesting to see how the game creators took all these pieces of their history and wove them together.

Last edited:

DLC

Soul Drummer.
I just completed OKAmi yesterday It actually beats out twilight princess by a little. Anyway, The story, Music, Gameplay, And cutscenes were awesome. I actually inspired me to do research on japanese mythology. But then again, Civilization 4 inspired me to research World leaders and Samurai warriors chronicles inspired me to research Japanese history. Its just how i roll.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Oh now that is cool ^^ hope you have fun!

It's really fun and I'm learning a LOT! I'm hoping to post my finished report in the article center here. I'm actually doing research for the mythology in video games section right now! :O

The Shadow

Creature of the Darkness
Okami is a great game, better than some of the crap they are producing today. Anyway I am slightly disappointed that I never got to access any of Shirunai's techniques, the cooler versions of your own, the original if you will, like the bomb was alright but Shirunai's bomb was much better. It was good when there were parts of mythology I already knew about from anime and manga and my research from my interest in Japanese mythology because of anime and manga, that appeared in the game. The graphics are unique and that was another good thing about it.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Be warned. This post has spoilers regarding Okami and Okamiden!

Okay. I'm plaing Okamiden right now. It's so cute. :3 Cuter than Okami, I have to say. Thing is, Okami was so much deeper. It was on a whole 'nother level. It had much more of a story compared to Okamiden. Up until meeting Sugawara, I had no idea where the game was heading. And now we see Akuro? Who is this Akuro dude?! :mad:

Also, it's kind of a total rehash... Mostly the same locations, same brush techniques, same way of GETTING the brush techniques. But worse music. :( Okami's music was so much better. Capcom revamped Okamiden's music too much. If you're gonna keep the locations the same, keep the music the same. Or don't make it worse. :P

So, by far, Okami > Okamiden. I was playing Okamiden, but I think I've just inspired myself to replay Okami now. :3

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Okay, I have never heard of this game before (other than the vs. Zelda thread). What exactly is this game about? I watched the video on the last page, but didn't find that to be very insightful.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Okay, I have never heard of this game before (other than the vs. Zelda thread). What exactly is this game about? I watched the video on the last page, but didn't find that to be very insightful.

It's one of the most epic games ever! :D (There may be slight spoilers ahead...)

In Okami, you play as the sun god incarnate, Amaterasu, a wolf. You venture across the land of Nippon to extinguish the evil beings and restore peace to the land. Throughout the game, you will use Divine Weapons and Brush Techniques to fight and solves puzzles. The Brush Techniques are pretty much what the gameplay is centered around (although they are a bit difficult sometimes on the Wii).

Okami has a really deep story, one I found myself enveloped in throughout the whole game. It's more of a story-over-gameplay type game, to be honest. Not that the game is bad. It's pretty easy, but some parts are REALLY frustrating. I feel it is well worth it, though. As I said, the story is fantastic, and the music and graphics are beautiful.

I highly recommend it!

I know this thread is old, but I think it definitely deserves to be bumped!

*Gets out skull collection and begins a necromantic ritual*

But seriously, Okami is by far one of my favorite games! At times it does seem like a rip-off of Zelda games, but I really think that it is original enough that it doesn't bother me. I thought it started off slow - there was like an hour of cutscenes and tutorials to get through before you could really start doing stuff, but once it got going it just got better and better! The puzzles were fun and I really enjoyed the story. Some of the plot twists were genuinely surprising to me, and it was great to be able to lift the curses over the land.

I played this game about two years before I played Twilight Princess, so when I started playing TP I was surprised by how similar the games were. Though I really enjoyed Twilight Princess, I thought that Okami had a much more engaging plot/storyline. That being said, I much preferred Twilight Princess's aesthetic, because I don't really like cartoonish cel-shading.

This is a great game! If anyone tried it but stopped because of the obnoxious tutorial, I promise that it gets so much better once you are able to leave Shinshu Field (or whatever it was called). It is a very long game with a large world full of secrets to uncover!

The Shadow

Creature of the Darkness
Can someone properly explain why people keep saying Okami is like Zelda.
I get that in TP you can become a wolf but I don't think that is enough to say they are similiar.
And having a companion who basically talks to you and gives you hints isn't enough of a reason to say they are similiar since a number of games will end up doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom