• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Okami!~

Nicole

luke is my wife
I know several people in the ZD community have heard of the greatness that is... Okami! Okami is probably the best thing to ever happen to Capcom, but that's not saying much. I think it's a fantastic game, but there are so many aspects of it. Too much to discuss via VMs. :D

So, I'm making this thread as a general discussion thread. Voila! The Official Okami Discussion Thread! If anyone here wants to discuss the game, bring it up here. Be sure to mind spoilers and whatnot.

If you like Okami or OkamiDen, tell about it here. I'll start.

My favorite part of Okami was the story it brought. It had such a deep tale woven within, and really made you start to think... What happens next? I won't disclose spoilers, but, the plot is quite amazing.

Let's not forget the graphics. They didn't quite match the 360, but they were beautiful, anime-esque, and really brought the feel of Nippon to the players.

Last but not least... OkamiDen! I just got it, but I have two words... Cute. Puppy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
To be honest, my favorite thing about Okami was how well the story was done. It's so perfectly interwoven, and really, the way they did the buildup for the three major bosses (Orochi, Ninetails, Lechku and Nechku) felt a lot like story arcs of an anime, and I really like that.

I really love everything else too, especially the art style and the gameplay. The soundtrack was great, although I don't think it stacks up quite to the soundtracks of other games quite as well.

I haven't gotten a chance to beat Okamiden yet, so I can't say anything in particular about that, but I still love how they managed to keep the art style pretty close to it's original quality.

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
Hey I kinda got stuck in Okami. So I was looking for some help. The part I'm stuck on is in the forest after you revive the tree. There is this guy that can see Ammy's real form and I just can't beat him. SO anyone have any ideas?

But over all Okami is the best game I have ever played!!!!

Nicole

luke is my wife
babygoku said:
Hey I kinda got stuck in Okami. So I was looking for some help. The part I'm stuck on is in the forest after you revive the tree. There is this guy that can see Ammy's real form and I just can't beat him. SO anyone have any ideas?

Are you talking about Waka? The French guy? I remember him. He's pretty easy, if you know what to do.

First of all, I suggest stocking up on Holy Bones for health. As many as you feel you need. I'd get a total of at least 10, just to have some extras. Next, when you fight him, do your best to memorize his attacks, and try to be ready to dodge his strikes. When you are safely out of the way, go in for the attack! I also find the Cherry Bomb is very effective. I constantly used Cherry Bombs in almost every battle in Okami, they're really useful.

So, basically, stock up on Holy Bones, dodge Waka's attacks, use lotsa Cherry Bombs. Good luck!

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
Are you talking about Waka? The French guy? I remember him. He's pretty easy, if you know what to do.

First of all, I suggest stocking up on Holy Bones for health. As many as you feel you need. I'd get a total of at least 10, just to have some extras. Next, when you fight him, do your best to memorize his attacks, and try to be ready to dodge his strikes. When you are safely out of the way, go in for the attack! I also find the Cherry Bomb is very effective. I constantly used Cherry Bombs in almost every battle in Okami, they're really useful.

So, basically, stock up on Holy Bones, dodge Waka's attacks, use lotsa Cherry Bombs. Good luck!
Ok thanks because I have been stuck on him for a long while. Really means alot thanks SoL ^^

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Hoo man do I ever love Okami! It's so funny at the same time very dramatic. I got it recently and it's very fun (and challenging). It's so fun!!!!!

Kirino

Tatakae
Dude I SO agree with you. I think for me.... Its better then Zelda ^^

This post probably inspired you to create the Okami or Zelda thread.

Anyways, it was the best game I ever played. Loved every bit of it.

SPOILERSThough what I thought was funny was that I thought the game was over twice before it acually was. First time after Orochi, and second time at Ninetails before he mentioned Yami.Spoilers

And is it just me, or is Okami alot more popular since Okamiden came out?

And babygoku, in addition to what SoL said, always use beads. Reflectors don't do good against him. By the way Waka's my favorite character. He play's a pretty important role in the story. The fun part is that you don't know whether he's good or evil for most of the game. What do you think?

Caeda

Keyblade Master
And is it just me, or is Okami alot more popular since Okamiden came out?

Things like that happen alot. If a sequal comes out for a game, then people will want to know where it came from

I've only played Okamiden as of now, but that game is so awesome it's already my fith favorite game ever and I haven't finished it yet. (I kinda got sidetracked by Re:coded...) Part of the reason why I like it so much is its simularities to Zelda.

Well, that and the absolute cuteness of the graphics (especially Chibi. Cute puppy that's able to fight= epic.)

Kirino

Tatakae
Things like that happen alot. If a sequal comes out for a game, then people will want to know where it came from

I've only played Okamiden as of now, but that game is so awesome it's already my fith favorite game ever and I haven't finished it yet. (I kinda got sidetracked by Re:coded...) Part of the reason why I like it so much is its simularities to Zelda.

Well, that and the absolute cuteness of the graphics (especially Chibi. Cute puppy that's able to fight= epic.)

I agree. Okamiden was definetly a great game, though not as good as Okami. Though I really liked the partner mechanic. It really made the game for me. How far are you? And once you beat Okamiden, you should play Okami. Then you'll understand more things about Okamiden, plus the game is just pure genius.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I just bought okamiden, I havent played okami because at the time their was no used copy at gamestop, but so far this game has been amazing. I love how puzzling the game is and how much of the game is a big puzzle. Its similar to zelda in this way but the thing i like about this game though is how it feels like these are all new puzzles rather then throughtout the zelda series where puzzles are so obviously repeated. But that comes with having so many games out. All in all so far it has been a great game.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm stuck in Okami, because they made one of the levels in it too hard. It's timed, and requires extremely precise movements with that Wii wand. This is one of those things that was probably easier with the PS2 controller.

The main reason I can't get through this level, is because you have to draw with the brush JUST so that water spouts up, and you have to do it really fast. I've watched video walkthroughs, and I know exactly what to do, I just absolutely cannot do it with my hands. It's really depressing, but the controllers are just too finicky, and I'm just not skilled enough to get through. I'm being asked to work way harder than I've had to work in any video game prior to this one... Wii games are too difficult thanks to that wand-based controller.

[video=youtube;aQq9-0K90io]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQq9-0K90io&feature=related[/video]

There's literally NO room for error in this level. It's completely unfair. :(

I keep messing up the route as well... it's too hard to remember exactly where to dig, and no other route works. I'm not sure if this is the right video, because they're making it look so easy, but I do remember that it's the one where Mr. Bamboo is about to find out that his daughter is an alien or something.

Last edited:

Caeda

Keyblade Master
How far are you? And once you beat Okamiden, you should play Okami. Then you'll understand more things about Okamiden, plus the game is just pure genius.

At the theature. Not going into more detail for obvious reasons.

And I have been meaning to get Okami, but I haven't been able to find it at gamestop, and I don't really want to order it online. Hopefully I find it soon.

Nicole

luke is my wife
athenian200 said:
There's literally NO room for error in this level. It's completely unfair. :(

I agree to an extent here. :P The digging games are extremely tedious at points. In the end, though, they are beatable. My suggestions:

1. Memorize a route. Even if you have to leave Kayuga behind for a round, try and find a route to the bottom. Next time up, try and go that way.

2. Work quickly, but effectively. You may want to practice some of the brush strokes for a little bit, but otherwise, try and take you time. Don't mess up too much, though. As you said, there is often little room for error.

3. Use the Divine Wind to lift Kayuga over the spiked blocks, if you have that brush stroke. Remember to draw the swirl in the direction you want to go.

4. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, THROW THE WIIMOTE AT THE TV. IT WILL NOT HELP YOU PROGRESS. I promise.

5. Take a break if needed to cool down, and collect your thoughts. You'll get it eventually. If I could get it, so can you!

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
1. Memorize a route. Even if you have to leave Kayuga behind for a round, try and find a route to the bottom. Next time up, try and go that way.

For one thing, I suck at memorizing, because all the areas seem to blend together in my mind... it's hard to remember where everything is. Also, it's very easy to find a route to the bottom that Amaterasu can take, but Kayuga can't take. Even when I do remember a route, it ends up being either impossible to take, or I end up taking too long to make the water spout thing work. I've played other variations of the digging game before, it's just that this one is too long/convoluted, and the time limit is too short.

2. Work quickly, but effectively. You may want to practice some of the brush strokes for a little bit, but otherwise, try and take you time. Don't mess up too much, though. As you said, there is often little room for error.

I've practiced all the brush strokes quite often... this particular one is just too hard to pull off in such a confined area. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why it works when it does.
3. Use the Divine Wind to lift Kayuga over the spiked blocks, if you have that brush stroke. Remember to draw the swirl in the direction you want to go.

That's the easy part. I've actually mastered that brush stroke. Occasionally I still screw it up JUST when I most need it to work, though. Not most of the time, but often enough to make it a frustration on top of everything else.
4. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, THROW THE WIIMOTE AT THE TV. IT WILL NOT HELP YOU PROGRESS. I promise.

Haha, that's one thing I won't do. If I ever destroy a controller, I'll probably break it half in my hand... but it would have to be a very flimsy controller. Also, my television is on top of an entertainment center, and I probably couldn't throw it up there if I wanted to, anyway.
5. Take a break if needed to cool down, and collect your thoughts. You'll get it eventually. If I could get it, so can you!

I have taken a break... about a 5-month break. You see, I don't respond well to repeated failure. Even on levels that are considered "hard," I usually manage to beat them after a few hours worth of attempts. A full day for something I consider very difficult. If I can't beat it in a week... I usually give up and move on to other games.

At this point, I'm so upset with how difficult Okami is, that I'm thinking of just trading it in at Gamestop to help me pay for another game. Without even beating it first. I'm already upset that I was unable to get some of the secrets in the game, because I had to skip over the beehive rolling game, and another variant of the digging game. That failure depressed me so much that I decided to just skip all the optional stuff and go straight through the main quest... and now I can't even do that! This game is as hard as a jawbreaker. I don't see how anyone could enjoy it... it's too hard of a game to be enjoyable.

I've had more than my share of frustrations with it. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are games that I could play over again if I had to, despite the frustrations... while this one just isn't worth it at all. You get stuck on one thing for SO long.

Thanks for the effort, but I think I'm too upset with this game... I'm still angry even after months away from it, because I really feel like I was cheated by it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom