• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic OH-carina or OK-arina?

Icetomeetyou

*brofist*
It depends on where you're from I think. In some places they might say it OK-arina but in other places they might say it OH-karina. There's not really think there's a "correct" way to say it.

S

Smuds

I've said Oh-carina my whole life.
Ok-arina just kind of sounds wierd.
It feels like Oh-carina just rolls off the tounge better XD.

OCK-UH-REE-NUH is the correct one.

Remember, this is not a made up word or term. Ocarinas are real instruments. If you want to hear it for yourself, then listen to the audio pronunciation on a dictionary website that has that feature. ;)

Austin

Austin
OCK-UH-REE-NUH is the correct one.

Remember, this is not a made up word or term. Ocarinas are real instruments. If you want to hear it for yourself, then listen to the audio pronunciation on a dictionary website that has that feature. ;)
Just did that. Unfortunately, you're right :(. I've been pronouncing it OH-KUH-REE-NA since I got the game about 10 years ago.... it's going to be a hard habit to break. I suspected I was wrong but heard someone pronounce it my way in the IGN review for Twilight Princess, and I had burst of hope. Ah well :dry:

I'm pretty sure it's "Oak Arena."

The instrument may be called something else, but I'm pretty sure that's the pronunciation in reference to the game.
Then if that's true, the official sources are pronouncing it wrong. The instrument in real life is identical to the one in the game, so it's not like it's a fictional object with the same spelling for it's name. It's the same name, so there is a correct pronunciation.

The word, officially, is pronounced "OCK-UH-REE-NUH".

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Surely that's purely down to the accent that you have in certain parts of the world.
Personally, whenever I hear someone prononce it Oh-carina, it sounds very American, I don't know why it just does.
I pronounce it Oc-arina, if I tried pronouncing it Oh-carina it wouldn't sound right.

Z

zeldim

I've always pronounced in OC-arina, because that's the way I heard it first. I've only heard one guy pronounce it OH-carina and that's the AVGN:P

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Here's dictionary.com's pronunciation of ocarina. As you can see, their pronunciation is "ok-uh-ree-nuh."

To be fair, word pronunciation can change depending on the language. Try typing "ocarina" into this Japanese-English dictionary (I don't think I can link to the individual word like dictionary.com). The katakana used is オカリナ(o-ka-ri-na). In Japanese, the "o" is a long "o" sound and the "a" is a short "a" sound. So its pronunciation is "oh-kah-ree-nah." If you do look the word up, there is a audio link next to it as well.

I pronounce it with the English pronunciation, though, since as Axel the Beast says, it is an actual instrument.

(Random side note: Wikipedia tells me that "The word ocarina, in the Bolognese dialect of the Emiliano-Romagnolo language, means 'little goose'." How cute!)

Last edited:

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Ok-uh-ree-nah is the correct pronunciation, but I've always said, and will always say oh-kuh-ree-nah.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom