• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Bolded Words In SS

A

Apple of Wisdom

Sheesh, it didn't bother me that much. In fact I had fun with them.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I hate to admit this, but I never even noticed that the colored words had a meaning. I just read the entire sentence, and never really figured out why some words were colored... because sometimes important information wasn't colored. I thought it was just a weird design choice to color certain names and places that someone thought made the text look nicer.

I really don't think they helped me much, so I don't really care about them.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I hate to admit this, but I never even noticed that the colored words had a meaning. I just read the entire sentence, and never really figured out why some words were colored... because sometimes important information wasn't colored. I thought it was just a weird design choice to color certain names and places that someone thought made the text look nicer.

You are not alone. Maybe because the first game was my first game, and look at the colors in the intro - the important parts are bolded, but it's not like it gave us huge clues to the game (the triforce being divided into 8 parts is the most useful, but I think we would have figured out that was the objective of the game without it being in red.) Ever since then I thought the bolding was just a stylistic choice of the series, a quirk based on the original game. *sheepish* Considering this, they don't bother me at the moment - now that I know to look for it, I'll have to pay attention on some of my replays to judge for myself.

I agree. There shouldn't be bold words in Skyward Sword. They're rather useless and annoying.

Anyway, I don't really like the bold words, I don't see the point of them.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I think that they should include it, but not as much as they have before. While we may be the ones to eat up every word in the text, I know many, many people that do not and they end up skipping very important information. The colored words help them know what to do next since it's eye-catching. I know that it's their own fault for skipping through the entire thing, but not everyone reads everything like we do...

The colored words really aren't that annoying to me, but even so, I hope that they'll remove some of the unnecessary coloring since it's useless. (Link, you must go to Ganon's Tower to defeat Ganon and save Princess Zelda. Ganon's Tower is north of Castle Town Market.) Like I said earlier, they should keep the coloring, but they should tone it down so that it doesn't look like everything's a rainbow. (Link, you must go to Ganon's Tower to defeat Ganon and save Princess Zelda. Ganon's Tower is north of Castle Town Market.) For the people that barely read anything, they'll know what's actually important and what's not. Coloring names and stuff like that isn't exactly helpful, in my opinion. This way, people won't get annoyed by the unnecessary coloring and the people that barely read any of the text will be able to catch a few important words. (Ganon's Tower is north of Castle Town Market.)

I'd be fine either way though. Colored words aren't that big of a deal, and taking them out just adds more subtlety (Which I would prefer... But I think about the other people too). Also, little kids play Zelda and I think that the colored words help them a lot. I don't think that there's a lot of little kids that post on this site, which is why everyone wants the colored words out, but imagine if those little kids just try to read the text as fast as they can without any colored words. ("Wait... Where am I supposed to go save Zelda?")

Just my opinion. :3

Kybyrian

I don't really think it would make much of a difference. Any good player is going to read what the person is saying thoroughly anyway, so they should be able to figure out the obvious keywords. The bold words are there to make it easier for beginners, which is actually a good addition in my opinion. Somebody who isn't able to figure things out from reading the obvious hints isn't going to figure it out anytime soon, and that's not good. If they never know what to do they won't have fun playing the game. I don't even notice the bold words. I read the thing from start to finish and take it all in anyway.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
They never really bothered me all that much. I rarely notice them anyway. Although some things just stand out as being bolded without any need.
I don't think that it'd be as annoying if they used it differently; bolding the place you have to go when you know you have to go there anyway is a little stupid, but if they just used it on important items and places, then it might be more effective. Something like:

Random NPC: Have you heard of an item called the Beetle? Rumors are it was hidden in a temple long ago.

or,

Random NPC: The next place you should go is the forest, where you will find the Forest Temple.
I agree with this. If they simply cut down on the amount they bolded to something like this, I think it would be perfectly fine. I mean, sure these phrases stand out more, but in these cases, it's not really going to help you with the game. It'll just help you note that there is such an item called this or a temple called that.

That said, I'd still prefer it to be more like just naming the item without saying that it's in a temple or saying that you should go to the forest without actually saying that a temple is there. Sure, one might assume that, but it helps add some amount of surprise as well as getting rid of what many might say are 'obvious' things within the speech.

I do think it makes it a bit too easy (cant you get what theyre telling you to do just by reading it?), but I think they know alot of people skip the text, so they highlight it so maybe theyll catch something about what they have to do. I like it though, its one of those funny things that makes you say aloud "this is zelda!!". but i wouldnt REALLY care if they left it out.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I find bolded words annoying. It's like Nintendo is trying to hold my hand throughout the whole game, assuming I can't figure things out myself. Come on! At least make the player do some work.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Though I rather dislike when they highlight the words consistantly, I would not like to eradicate them completely. Sometimes it adds some depth to a conversation, such as when you are told to meet a new person.

"You should go and see the innkeeper, Namehereplz"

Otherwise, I would advise that Nintendo cuts down on the amount of bold words in SS. Don't abolish them, just cut down.

"The FOREST TEMPLE is located in the FOREST."

Honestly youre bieng a little over dramatic... Lol it doesnt say FOREST TEMPLE is in the FOREST. Atleast not when Sheik is mentioning where the temples are. In fact s/he never refers to them as temples at all, but places where sages are located.... it was you will meet an old friend in the forest.... now Old friend If I remember correctly was bolded in green, as were all forest temple clues... Fire was red, and so on.

I think it was more to keep you from confusing clues, rather then making them blatantly obvious. Granted... I perfer my games without the clues and you have to stumble around, just like in the original Zelda. he he he...

Anyway, I don't really like the bold words, I don't see the point of them.
Really there just there to be obvious. It would make a lot more sense if they added them to statements that were actually incredibly cryptic, as a way of giving you an idea of what part of the riddle you're supposed to be paying attention to.

That said, they've never annoyed me at all. They're just there. And they pretty much always have been. Considering sometimes really little kids would play Zelda, I don't think there's any harm in removing them. I don't see any point in removing them actually. Would that change... anything? :bleh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom