• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Year Resolutions

Claire

The Geekette
At the beginning of the new year, many people make resolutions. These are usually short or long-term goals aiming to stop or change a preexisting habit or establish new habits. What is your opinion of new year resolutions? Do you set goals yourself at the beginning of a new year - and what sorts of goals?

I like the idea of setting goals for yourself to achieve. I don't think you should necessarily wait until a new year rolls around. Not many people follow through with their goals, whether due to apathy or due to an unrealistic resolution set. I would hope that many people can set realistic and positive resolutions and are able to achieve those goals.

My goals are both short and long-term. I feel they are pretty common goals, but all were set and started prior to the new year. My resolutions and reasoning for them are as followed:

1. Restrict meat consumption to only fowl and seafood
This is simply a resolution to better my health. This is a long-term resolution.

2. Run continuously for over 30 minutes at 5 MPH
Right now I run at 5 MPH on the treadmill for 30 minutes most days in the week. It takes a period of weeks, but I hope to increase my distance while keeping my pace. It is short-term.

3. Obtain a job
In the town I live in now, my home town, there aren't many available jobs. I've been applying, so hopefully this is short-term!

4. Further my education
I've applied and been accepted to Penn State and will be attending in the fall 2011 semester, but I'd like to take it further. This is also long-term.

I want all these goals to be lifelong! Learn as I age, work hard, stay fit, and stay healthy. :) What are yours?

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I actually set myself lots of goals. I usually think them up at this time of the year. So far I got some:
- Stay fit and go outside more.
- Eat healthier food. Remember, yumz to fruits an veggies. ;)
- Learn some Hungarian stuff. You never know what will happen.
- Try to erase shyness. Talking to people is okay, they won't rip your head off.
- Try to organize room more frequently and differently. (Neat freak.)
- Get good grades in school and make new friends.
Sadly, I'm not good at making friends verbally. At least I'm not as shy to not be able to answer people, but I'm shy to comment or talk to them. It is very hard to make friends for me in Florida; so many people use bad language and are really mean here. I promised myself that I will never use cuss words in English, and I kept that promise from 2007.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
Meh. All I wish to do is learn how to eat heavier meats because poultry and bacon will not keep me warm during winter. :lol:
Another would be to grow an epic curly mustache like Flat within the next 10 years. x)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I have a few, some serious, and some silly :P

1- Eat healthier-
I don't eat many vegetables. I need to eat more!

2- Become average weight
Right now, i'm just under the line for average weight. I guess this could tie in with the healthy eating...if vegetables can make me gain weight that is.

3- Have better relationships with certain people
This one is near the top of my list. I need to be better to certain people in my life.

4- Gain a few new friends
I'm already there, i've met over 20 new people who I could consider friends. More would be nice though.

5- Organise a Talent Show (School related)
My school is very boring. We never have any events. People would take more interest if there was something fun to look forward to

6- Improve my grades
Specifically in math. I got a C in my last test. I'd like at least a B. :/

7- (For fun) Make my own holidays throughout the year, and do random things on those days. (Or find obscure holidays and celebrate them, just like International Talk Like a Pirate Day!)
I did it two years ago. It was fun. XD

And that's it! I could probably put down a few more, but i'd be promising myself too much O.O

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
1. Save up money and get into a situation where I can find a real job (that doesn't involve working for my father) before 2012.

Perhaps I won't actually achieve the latter (though I fully expect to achieve the former), but I believe that setting the goal will help me feel like I'm aiming towards something. It may depend on the economy more than myself, though.

2. Achieve basic proficiency in Spanish or Chinese.

I think that it would be wise to start learning a second language, especially a widely used or spoken one. It may open up opportunities, or at least give me a better understanding of other cultures. I believe that I'm capable of achieving basic proficiency, but I don't know about fluency.

3. Try to contact some old friends.

I've been putting it off for a long time... I don't like to initiate contact with people, but I've lost touch with too many people I really appreciated speaking with due to my reluctance to do so.

I don't have the best lifestyle right now, so I think a lot of my goals should be focused around that, but let's see...

1) Limit gaming time to around 2-3 hours a day

I have found that I spend way to much time in the basement, playing the Wii for at least ten hours on the average weekend. I want to find myself doing something more... productive. And maybe visit with my family more often instead.

2) Finish all of my homework assignments

My biggest problem with school is the homework. I will select the assignments that I want to do, and complete them, with little or no care. My test scores are great; I understand what's being assigned, but I am too lazy to complete it. I would like to be able to make use of my study halls and free periods to finish as much homework as I can. I want my grades to look good for the next semester.

3) Maintain a good lifestyle

I hardly exercise, but I think it would be good for me to start now so I don't have to worry about... bad things in the future. I think starting to eat healthier also wouldn't hurt. My breakfast today was, like six cookies... so I guess I should work on that as well...

I think these are the top things I should strive to resolve this year. I may not be able to achieve them all, but I'm hoping I can at least make progress.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
One thing I like about myself is that I'm pretty good at coming up with resolutions year-round. Meaning, not only do I not wait to start a new one, but if I fall off the wagon, I just shrug and get back on it. I still like New Year's resolutions, though. They're generally about optimism and self-improvement, two traits I appreciate.

I have a general resolution to plan better. My problem tends to be that I can see Point A and Point B, but have trouble getting from one to the other. More specifically, I want to have a better map for my plans for further education and where I want to be in 5 - 10 years, and I also want to apply this to my writing.

I also want another hobby, but that will take some more pondering.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Ahh, the passing of a new year. What wonders it can bring to the souls of humans. It can let people make ammends, as we've started here. I suppose I should get my resolutions posted on here as well to keep on topic.

One of these resolutions I plan on accomplishing is to increase my activity on here. My activity has gone a bit down in the past through months, so I'm going to fix that next year to perhaps my olden days.

My second resolution is to get my overall GPA up. In my non-acidemic classes, I typically get A's. However, in the wonderful world of academics, I typically get C's, and my school system doesn't do D's, just straight to F. My current GPA is a 3.25 in my junior year of high school, and in order to make myself appealing to the college I'm going to, I'm vowing to pay a lot of attention to my academics, but not stray too far away from my love of the arts.

Well, I have quite a few things on my resolution.
First thing: get to one hundred twenty pounds. I finally got passed a hundred and fifteen this month, so I'm going to go higher.
Second, become more social, which I've already tried starting a couple weeks ago.
Third, get a job.
Fourth, get a girlfriend (I sent her a friend request on Facebook, she accepted :3).
Fifth, get better with the schoolwork; I'm slacking.
Sixth, since I won't be taking anymore years of Spanish after this school year, I will try to learn Korean.
Seven, save my money. I spend a lot of money on video games. However, I really don't want to live with my parents for too long after high school, so I need to save my money. This ties in with getting a job.
Eight, start making and uploading more animations on my youtube account.
Nine, get my Mario site up and be able to keep it active.
Ten, go to sleep on time on schooldays. I've always stayed up later than my bed time just to talk to people on here. It doesn't really affect my performance in school, but it's just a habit I need to break.

Last edited:

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Beat more video games I start.
Gain more weight.
Move to the next level in Irish dance. (yes, it has levels. Irish dance & video gaming, my passions & future careers!)
Create & maintain my website.
Get into my high school of choice.

Beat more video games I start.
Gain more weight.
Move to the next level in Irish dance. (yes, it has levels. Irish dance & video gaming, my passions & future careers!)
Create & maintain my website.
Get into my high school of choice.

Hmm...

1. Complete the games I buy darn it.
2. Over the summer, when I have nothing to do, complete games I never completed. I have plenty.
3. Start doing something media related. I mean, I'm doing a media course at University. Chances are I'll get into animating or short films. Dunno which yet.
4. Make my website popular. Erm... Somehow.
5. Be a little more carefree and less down on myself. Plus try to help others out more.
6. Become better socially. At this time I just have a bunch of acquaintances.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
New Year's Resolutions? Okay, I have a few.

--First of all have more fun in life
--Obtain my G.E.D
--Get a better Xbox gamertag, lolz I hate those that I have atm
--Finish Wind Waker once and for all, I owe it to myself, I mean, I come here and all, lolz.
--Get a Wii and finish Twilight Princess if possible (I really want to but I also wanna buy other things)
--Stop swearing so much IRL. Not that I swear all the time, but you know what I mean.
--Finish a few stories here at ZD
--And perhaps still be around here at ZD when the next year comes.

There are other resolutions, but if I remember them, I'll probably edit this post or make another. :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
My resolutions? I want to become a Graphical Designer and I better start before I get too old
Spend less time behind the pc because I spend way too much time here
Visit the friends I made more often like once a month even though we don't live next door to each other and have to catch the train
And some other things which are in the back of my mind

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
Many of my resolutions have to do with my photography.

- I have started a spreadsheet to track how much time and car mileage I spend shooting, and also how much time I spend editing. I'd like to see how much time I really spend, since it is a substantial part.
- I plan to blog on my personal blog everyday.
- This goes along with the above, but it involves networking much more. Actively engaging people on Twitter and hopefully Facebook, as well as commenting on blogs. That is the main way to grow on the internet, through networking. It will take a significant amount of time, but I am eager to try.
- I also want to make sure I really clean my house once a week. I am terrible at such things, and I have more interesting things I want to be doing, but having a clean house is wonderful, and I want to make sure it is nice if I have unexpected visitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom