• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time My FIRST Three Heart Challange Ever D:

I'm pretty nervous, but really excited at the same time! Anyone have any tips for me?

Also, how hardcore should I take this? I was thinking no shields, Biggoron sword, magic except Din's Fire, but ONLY use it to get into the Shadow Temple (which also begs the question, is there any other way to get in without it), or Gold Skulltulas....

That sound hard enough?

Are you going to be using items like the megaton hammer or bow except where necessary? Are you going to be using potions and fairies? Sounds like fun, I might have to try :)

Ohhh right I forgot to mention that! I will definitely ONLY use items when needed (no Megaton Hammer on DarkLink, Master Sword only). But I'm a little undecided on the bottles.... My last file I played through using only the Hearts you get from defeating Bosses and with the bottles it was just too easy, but then again only three hearts is a totally different story. Plus it made stuff like the Ice Cavern extremely monotonous, constantly going back to a Blue Flame torch every single time. What do you guys think? Bottles, yes or no?

I think yes on bottles, but not use them for fairies. :P That's what I'm gonna do I think.

Oh, right! I didn't even think of that haha. Somehow I thought I had to weigh to two options, but no one said I have to put fairies in them... I guess I'm just so used to doing it :P Great suggestion!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, you should do a 3HC with the above listed things, but NO HEALING outside of the floaty hearts. Oh, don't get Double Defense from the Fairy at Ganon's Castle either. :) Hope you are sane after coming back from that :D

"Floaty" hearts? You mean "recovery" hearts? hahaha. Well yeah that could be a good addition, like no fairy fountains or bottles/grass, only pick up hearts from enemies. THAT would be pretty tough! But I included the no magic defense under my "no magic" clause. Besides you only get it to fight Ganondorf and Ganon anyway. (BTW, am I the only person that thinks this is one of the lamest things ever included in a video game????)

Wow.... my N64 froze three times trying to beat Ghoma, then again on my way to Lon Lon Ranch after leaving Kokiri Forest for the first time....... this is gonna be a LOOOONG Three Heart Challenge....

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I'm currently doing a 3 heart challenge ... No wallet/weapon upgrades, no magic/defense upgrades, no skultullas, no sun's song or epona's song, no biggoron sword, no extra bottles (only the 1 you get with the letter in it). No Nayru love or Farore wind, no Ice arrows (which I almost never get anyway).

By no shields do you mean not getting the Hylian shield? That's a little too extreme IMO. For one thing you may not be able to survive the trip up Death Mountain as a kid with only 3 hearts. Now if you mean only using a shield when you have to use it in order to proceed (for example light reflections in the Spirit Temple), that would be a heck of a challenge, and it would take an awful lot of discipline to not use it to block when I instinctively do so during Stalfos fights or whatnot.

insanity76

I think yes on bottles, but not use them for fairies. :P That's what I'm gonna do I think.

Yeah bottling a fairy IMO defeats the purpose of the 3 heart challenge ... you may as well get 3 heart containers since it's essentially the same thing.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Good luck. But remember that the Deku Shield and Mirror Shield are required items in the game. :P

Also, I'm doing a three heart run like the one you're going to do (I'm using the required items where they help and only got the bottle with Ruto's message, Megaton Hammer doesn't work well on Dark Link, just saying). I can't give much advice except work on your dodging skills along the way. Also, having one bottle doesn't make that much of a difference if you use the Blue Fire wisely.

Also, if you do end up changing your mind and using the required items where they help, use Deku Nuts on Stalfos (throw a Deku Nut while they're attacking will stun them, then use the jump attack, it helps a ton) and use Din's Fire on Dark Link. Din's Fire will kill Dark Link in three hits (affordable with max magic) on a 3HR.

Again, good luck dude.

I'm currently doing a 3 heart challenge ... No wallet/weapon upgrades, no magic/defense upgrades, no skultullas, no sun's song or epona's song, no biggoron sword, no extra bottles (only the 1 you get with the letter in it). No Nayru love or Farore wind, no Ice arrows (which I almost never get anyway).

I stand corrected, this is closer to the 3HR I'm doing. But, I'm not getting the Fire Arrows or doing any shopping (outside the Deku Shield).

By no shields do you mean not getting the Hylian shield? That's a little too extreme IMO. For one thing you may not be able to survive the trip up Death Mountain as a kid with only 3 hearts. Now if you mean only using a shield when you have to use it in order to proceed (for example light reflections in the Spirit Temple), that would be a heck of a challenge, and it would take an awful lot of discipline to not use it to block when I instinctively do so during Stalfos fights or whatnot.

Actually, it's entirely possible to get up Death Mountain without the Hylian Shield. Just keep rolling and you should make it (I should know because I did it :P). And yeah, curbing the habit of defending would be tough I'll bet.

insanity76

I stand corrected, this is closer to the 3HR I'm doing. But, I'm not getting the Fire Arrows or doing any shopping (outside the Deku Shield).

Don't you need Fire Arrows in Ganon's Castle though? In the Spirit room there's a cobweb on the ceiling that you have to burn to let sunlight in & reflect with the Mirror Shield to open a door. Unless Din's Fire goes up that high and burns it .. I dunno if I ever tried that or not. Then there's also the torch up high in the Forest room and one far away in the Shadow room that I think can only be reached with a fire arrow, once again unless there's another way.

I

Iron Knuckle

I think you should try it, it'll be fun, atleast i think it would
Yes to faries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom