• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Moral Values You Have Take from The Legend of Zelda

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
Majora's Mask, it teaches you, SKULTULAS CAN POP OUT OF NO WHERE AND SCARE THE S**T OUT OF YOU! (lol)
what it actualy teaches you, when you have an ominus feeling... don't refuse to take another step forward, go faurther, you may just meet a new friend. (Or giant in MMs case)

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i just noticed the spelling and grammatical error that was bugging me about this thread.. "... you have TAKE from..." from mido i have learned not to dwell on the people that everyone else likes, otherwise you become even more lonely.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Morally, the Legend of Zelda series is pretty cut and dry. "It is good to be good. Bad guys are bad". This is pretty much explained with heroic Link fighting against evil Ganondorf- and that's pretty much it for the entire series. All the badguys seem to be just the same- all bad. There isn't really too much anyone can learn about morality from the series, that I can see.

Here's a couple of life lessons that I learned from the series, though:

On Friendship:
Ocarina of Time- No matter how annoying they can be, a true friend will always be there to help you out (referring to Navi)
Majora's Mask- People without friends can do very rash things. So be a friend to those who need it.

On Women:
Ocarina of Time- All chicks your age will like you if you wear green and carry a sword. (Seriously, ALL OF THEM)
Twilight Princess- It is impossible to read one. (Referring to Telma, Midna, and Ilia)
Skyward Sword- If a girl flirts with you as much as Zelda did, SHE LIKES YOU, DUMB-***.
The Legend of Zelda series as a whole- If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Seeing how Zelda gets you to do a ton of crap for her... Or was that Red Green who taught me that...?)

Garo

Boy Wonder
I have praised the Zelda series' storytelling in the past, and will continue to do so in the future, but as far as instilling any sense of morality into its gameplay, the series is woefully behind the times. Some of the best modern games have managed to create a complex system of morality through gameplay, and the Zelda series remains quite black and white - if not just straight up white. While games like The Witcher 2 will offer multiple ways to achieve a goal, with varying moral implications for each way, the Zelda series will often outright prevent the player from doing things considered bad. Link's Awakening is the only game that enabled frivolous theft; other games may involve theft, but always as a crucial plot element rather than an unnecessary action as in Link's Awakening. In most other cases? Stealing is outright prevented by game mechanics.

For the games to ever have some sort of moral value, the series needs to give players more freedom to do despicable things like freely steal. After that, we may start to see some morals emerge from the gameplay, rather than the typical fantasy story pre-packaged just-add-water morals.

C

calvinmsu

I have learned that you can hit a horse indefinitely and it wont get mad >.>

Well I thought it taught me that going into stranger's houses, and breaking their pots would give me money and they wouldn't care. But, I learned that one the hard way D:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I take away from the games a core value of COURAGE.

It doesn't matter what is against you, you stand up for your friends, your people, even people who don't believe you and don't treat you very well against true danger and tyranny because it is right.

I actually posted in another thread about various philosohies of Legend of Zelda games, just to be brief: I think Twilight Princess had a subtext of overcoming predjudices, that Wind Waker had a subtext on the value of the future and letting go of the past, and Majora's Mask had a story about fighting entrophy and despair no matter what. Mostly, however, what I get from the games is just the core value of courage - which one can get from many fantasy, hero's journey-type stories. It is why it remains a popular type of tale.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
There was something about this on memebase, lemme see if I can find it...

*comes back after searching* Not there no more. All I remember from it is three things:

(picture of wolf Link) Trust your instincts.
(picture of the MM moon) Timing is everything.
(picture of OoT young Link and young Zelda) Friendship between a boy and a girl is possible.

But yeah, I second the thing about breaking into houses and stealing money. Many video games have that though...

From SS I guess I took away that there is potential for greatness in everybody, even the laziest people, if they have a goal they're passionate about. SS Link looked like he'd rather be sitting on his butt doing nothing. But take the childhood friend he's starting to develop romantic feelings for and put her in danger, and nothing can stand in his way. I relate to him. I'm probably the biggest and laziest procrastinator I know, but when I really want something, I will work my tail off for it.

Also from SS, but I knew this before: bullies are just insecure and they can change their ways with the help of a strong mentor. Groose...nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom