• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Metroid: Samus Returns

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I just recently completed my first playthrough with 100% completion after about 14 hours and all I can say is it's good to have Samus back. It's just a shame it has taken this long to get another 2D Metroid game on a handheld, and with the 3DS being on its way out and the Switch being the new handheld device in town, I'm honestly worried about this game's sales. Which is a total shame because this is one fantastic game and an excellent and essential addition to the 3DS library.

This is everything I've ever wanted in a brand new 2D Metroid game. I knew there was so much more potential in another 2D entry and Samus Returns has definitely realized that potential by incorporating modern video game conventions such as fast-travel, map pins, and the pulse scan which make backtracking less of a pain, memorizing areas to return to a lot easier, and save you a lot of time on bombing every single inch of the map in hopes of finding items. I tried not to rely on the scan pulse and still played the game like I would any other Metroid game, but it certainly came in handy in the larger parts of the map and during my pre-final boss clean up.

The 3D textures also look a lot better than I thought they would and added so much more depth to the environments. For instance, those seemingly floating platforms from previous games now stretch far into the background and make a whole lot more sense visually. The 3D graphics also allow for more fluid animations and seamless cinematic gameplay interactions and cutscenes, which are just amazing and add so much more flair to the experience. I also don't usually make use of the 3D function during the majority of my gameplay, but with this game it's just absolutely beautiful. The artwork just pops out so wonderfully and the backgrounds often have something going on. There's even this one thing that I expected to see more of on the 3DS since it was announced, which is stuff flying towards the screen as if its popping out at you, which happens when you kill an enemy with the ice beam.

The aeion abilities were a nice addition and utilized fairly throughout the game, but they weren't exactly game changing, at least the combat oriented ones. I didn't find myself using the lightning armor or phase drift much outside of areas and puzzles that required them, but the beam burst was definitely handy during boss encounters and got me out of many desperate situations. Samus' arsenal wasn't too bad either. I haven't played much of the original Metroid II, but I hear the spider-ball was a bit of a pain to control, and while I feel they drastically improved it, there's still some funkiness to it. It works fine for the most part, but for some reason, she would move in the opposite direction when I let go of the slider and push forward again in the same direction. It's very easy to recover from it and move back into the direction you want, but the only time it became pesky to me was during a specific boss fight that requires you to use the spider-ball since you have a small window to use it and have to make constant stops. Though, one ability they did improve on was the grapple beam. Super Metroid is a masterpiece, but one of its very few faults is the way you control the grapple beam. It's a bit clunky but here, it works great and feels smooth. However, it did feel a bit strange playing a 2D Metroid game without the speed booster and being able to shinespark.

Now let's talk about the melee counter. While it's a great addition to combat, especially during boss fights, the game was way too reliant on the feature. I don't think there's a single enemy that doesn't charge you which can be really annoying because this is by far the most combat heavy 2D Metroid game in the series with the massive amount of enemies you encounter, which is fine and fitting given the premise of the game. However, there were several times when I've taken unnecessary damage because I was progressing through an obstacle and an enemy happened to be close by to instantly charge me during my vulnerable state. There were also many times when two enemies would be too close to each other and charge me one second after the other, so that when I finish countering one, the other hits me. It's a great feature for sure and I would like to see it return in future installments, but maybe just limited to boss fights and certain enemy types.

That aside though, Mercury Steam did an amazing job getting the physics and movement down. This feels like a proper Metroid game through and through. I even love that you can feel the weight of the morph ball whenever it's falling. The 360 degree aiming is really satisfying but also oddly allows for both improved precision and massive error, which I think the slider is to blame for. I'd often miss simple missile shots while hanging from a ledge because her arm would slightly be aiming diagonally when I'm just trying to shoot straight from off a ledge so I can grab an item. It's a small nuisance, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Overall, Metroid: Samus Returns is more than just a remake or a return to a classic formula. It may be limited by the premise and structure of the original Metroid II, but Samus Returns goes above and beyond to make this feel like a brand new experience while improving on the standard Metroid formula. As I see it, there's no reason to ever go back to Metroid II ever again as this is what Zero Mission was to the original Metroid, a permanent replacement. Also, huge props for that
Metroid Fusion connection and possible set-up to a Fusion sequel. I just got to say, I don't know if the origin of the Metroids was ever revealed prior to this, but after that final Chozo memory, I can't help but feel like Metroid is once again just following whatever the Alien franchise is doing and it's honestly pretty cool.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So far i'm finding that the Lightning Armor is probably one of the most cheapest things ever. I literally have used it for all zetas up to area 6 and i slaughter them. That and Space jump makes makes Zeta and lower metroids too easy.

On the other hand jesus Omega Mets and Diggernaut have beaten my ass down so much T.T i can't even kill Diggernaut as of writing this.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Welp i can give a better review now of the game.

So i'll break it down into Gameplay:Bosses:Metroid fights:Aeion:Visuals:Music:Amiibo

Gameplay: i thoroughly enjoyed playing through the game (all 12 odd hours) and the entire game brings back my super metroid run with some fond memories but the game relied far to much on that god damned melee counter and some enemies seemed to have some janky timings for it but overall it was nice, i loved being able to explore the world of SR388 having never played the original and more so i loved the fact that completion wasn't relying on map completion but item completion, do find it wierd missiles are completely useless in the final boss fight and you don't have near enough supers at all. I think the only things that truly frustrated me were a certain robotic boss and those blue crystals which you couldn't do **** about til endgame and the fact they just blocked missiles for the most part was irritating.

Bosses: I loved the fact that each stage of metroids originally get introduced as bosses but i'll cover them in their own section, this bit referes to Diggernaut and
Proteus Ridley

It seriously took me 2 hours and 80 attempts to defeat diggernaut mostly due to the fact i made slight errors namely in stage three never figured out you meant to role in front of the vacuum and drop bombs down and afterwards line up the shock spots. I spent ages trying to clue in how to kill him and consequently took tons of damage from stupid mistakes and frustration.

Proteus Ridley: Boy i can't say how glad i am to see Ridley finally being a final boss and it sure as hell didn't disapoint, it wasn't nearly as bad as the godforsaken diggernaut (2 attempts and pure luck) but he was still a tough fight, i loved that it was 3 distinct stages and in the third the Baby comes and helps you which i gotta say was SO GOD DAMNED HANDY as the amount of times i almost died only to get that boost man. I think i lost more health to his Fireball attack than anything else and in the end only won because i had energy reserve tanks.

Metroid fights: what do i say here? That they were good? no i'd say they were amazing from their visual appeal to their fights, you get to see ALL the life stages of metroids from egg to queen and my god i love the game for that, i always felt grossed out by larva metroids but seeing them develop into what at first seemed like insects then into xenomorph like titans really hit it home, these aren't just weapons they are living beasts and they don't half make you feel it ^^ i felt the fact that the last metroid of each stage had a different colour pallete really lent it to them because you could see the growth stage that way you're fighting the freshly molted version all the way up to pre-molt into the next phase seen most clearly by the Omegas.

Right down to the fights.

Alpha: When i first saw these lil fellows i thought they were kinda cute until the first one killed me via electrocution and gave me blue murder before it died i think in the remake these and gammas were good uses of melee counters ^^. The firey variant always seemed to do more damage and i couldn't be sure why. The battles with Alphas were always short and sweet and somewhat rushed i felt like as they didn't really do much beyond charging.

I always felt like in the early stages you had two distinct type of metroid due to the elemental attacks of lightning and fire. Their visuals especially the eyes felt somewhat unnerving but i think it was the fact you have that classic metroid body but now it has a chitinous body growing on it and the fact that gelatinous globe persists in all forms is sorta odd.

Gamma: Fresh from slaying Alphas i felt confident i could slaughter gamma's with impunity (a error that persisted all the way up the line) this beasties now molted from their alpha stage have grown legs but can still float they act somewhat spiderish when on the ground and could be downed by charged ice shots to the guts which was good because goddamn the hurt, they still had that charge attack but they augmented it with a laser beam (still elemental beasts), shockwave, a elemental charge and a ground laser shot, hot damn they hurt. I like the fact they can be downed and while the ice is on the metroid bulge they will do a normal attack but damn the timing always felt off as they did a slow charge and a fast strike. Their Visuals while not the best (similar colouration to alphas) when charged up their eyes would light up and MAN did that make them.

Zeta: Ah the gangly adolescent of the species i had more hell with zetas than i did with omegas and queens and almost as much as diggernaut. They climb walls can spit bouncy balls and have a grapple point on their back. Oh did i mention they are very protective of their stomachs you have to shoot their mouths for a good kill and damn do they make you work for it. I say they are gangly because they are their limbs are growing longer and they've even got necks now and you're starting to see more earth tones in their hide which makes me think they've gone from predatory insects to hunters. They even grew more arms ^^.

Omega: Probably my 2nd most loved of all metroids these buffed up bastards mean the business they've got an armored carapace over their metroid bulge and can't be grappled, these guys are so tough they bring the roof down Literally ^^, you can see them getting more toned up and in the final one you see it's even bigger than the other 3 and seems to be changing to resemble the queen a bit in the carapace especially in the colours. when i first fought an omega i died. ALOT. it was tough because it could set the floor on fire spew laser beams which tracked fairly well and their weak spot was hard to hit because they were mobile, then i found they still had melee counters and super missiles work oh so well on them (first time i started actively using them incidentally) then when i got my powerbombs i found that these were brilliant to break that chest cover off. Made the omegas so much easier.

Larva: the fact these little buggers had to be frozen before being killed made them finicky as hell to fight i lost i think maybe 8 tanks overall because i couldn't keep them frozen and the freeze effect wore off before i could missile them to death T.T their colouration lent them a rather creepy vibe of a gummy mouth under gelatinous sphere it was kinda weird ^^.

Queen: When ever you scan in metroid you can hear her scream, and more importantly when you kill the ten larvas boy does she get pissed and when you finally verse this 16 eyed beast she doesn't dissapoint, she shoots lasers spews acid and will even head bash your ass. the fighting room is tighter than an alphas fight and she is a massive beast. Sadly the melee counters are lacking somewhat and are in fact required to kill her (if you don't wanna be at it all day) a 3 phase fight and each phase begins/ends by countering her and yanking her tongue with a grapple then morphing balling into her innards into that metroid bulge and power bombing her, thrice and shes dead. In looks i'm kinda sad the queen isn't nearly as mobile as omegas or zetas, she's a great big hulking beast on 4 legs guarding her weakspot well and she reminds me of a more vibrant lizard but man she was a disappointment once you get the timings she goes down faast.

Aeion skills: i found some of these more useful than others the phase drift i never used for combat and it was only actively used for some harder to get upgrades others like lightning Armor almost trivialized metroid fights the omegas become a literal joke with this stuff going. The pulse scan is well worth it as you can see blocks that need to be broke and items to be collected on the map when it's used. The beam burst i'd say is the 2nd most useful next to lightning armor, in conjunction with wave beam you can just hide form enemies and bullet hell them to death.

Visuals: Overall i loved the visuals of the games, the fact that blocks go all the way into the background, how it feels like you're traversing at first to the depths of a planet then a nest of creatures and even into springs and a temple at some points, the visuals were really stunning, i wasn't overly fond of some monster designs (exploding mice taking a whole tank) and others i liked (hornoads for the win) The only visual i found weird was the final boss' it felt weird that the background was a storm while the boss itself seemed so damned vibrant.

Music: forget Meridias song and Lower norfair/magmoor caverns theme, the music for this game when you give it a chance is so damned good, the best actually for me being meridias song in one of the areas it felt so damned right hearing them.

Amiibo: none too please about the fact this was included in the game, the squishy metroid amiibo was probably the most useless (each amiibo gave some concept art i believe) as it showed you the location of A metroid not the closest though just a random metroid in the area which can be frustrating as hell if you haven't gotten the map uncovered so it's just a blip or it can be handy as hell if you've been everywhere but missed one.

The fact that the reserve tanks are locked behind amiibo suck so bad i do think the reserves shoulda been main game because they are so damn useful and in some cases may be required the amount of times the energy reserve has saved my life is beyond count and the amount of times the Aeion has helped is also beyond count. Why on earth they did that is beyond me. But literally all you get with the amiibos are reserve tanks some concept art and a metroid detector.

These things altogether cost as much as the game, and they give you things which should've been in the game originally and given something else maybe an extra reserve tank or something but (at last check) amiibos that cost as much as the game and giving so little sucks hardcore.

Overall i'd give this game 9/10 i'd give it 10/10 but the Amiibos and diggernaut kinda kill that a bit a boss who you may spend ages on learning their patterns and can literally kill you with two hits is not a good boss and locking things that shoulda been part of the game anyway but were cut to make more cash isn't a good thing.

As a very casual Metroid fan, I've been playing Metroid: Samus Returns at a very pedestrian pace compared to people here, but I've enjoyed the 5 hours I've played. I'm a bit through Area 2, and the arsenal at my disposal is already large and makes traversing the map a delight. I especially liked when I needed to think outside the box and freeze enemies with the ice beam to jump on top to progress. The music is fantastic, the graphics are great for a 3DS game, and the new melee counter shakes up the gameplay. My only complaint is the lack of boss variety so far, but I've heard that's remedied as the game progresses.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
As a very casual Metroid fan, I've been playing Metroid: Samus Returns at a very pedestrian pace compared to people here, but I've enjoyed the 5 hours I've played. I'm a bit through Area 2, and the arsenal at my disposal is already large and makes traversing the map a delight. I especially liked when I needed to think outside the box and freeze enemies with the ice beam to jump on top to progress. The music is fantastic, the graphics are great for a 3DS game, and the new melee counter shakes up the gameplay. My only complaint is the lack of boss variety so far, but I've heard that's remedied as the game progresses.

I'll be honest it took me 12 hours or so to complete me first run because i wanted EVERYTHING. and my god is it fun to hunt out all the collectibles. The lag between upgrades is annoying though, they shoved 3 upgrades in one area twice but made no upgrades for one zone. I do love ze map.

And yeah theres diversty in the bosses ^^ it's not all Alphas :P

My only complaint is the lack of boss variety so far, but I've heard that's remedied as the game progresses.

Yeah, this was a major problem with the original, and since the prevalence of the Metroids is kind of the entire basis of the game, not much was added to remedy that. There's two completely new bosses added, both of which were quite challenging, so there's that.

Also, all of the Metroid forms were pretty much completely revamped as far as the fight and how you defeat them is concerned. All of them behave drastically different than just the hovering around they did in the original, with the Zetas and Omegas being seemingly designed from the ground up in terms of physical appearance and how you defeat them.

Omega: Probably my 2nd most loved of all metroids these buffed up bastards mean the business they've got an armored carapace over their metroid bulge and can't be grappled, these guys are so tough they bring the roof down Literally ^^, you can see them getting more toned up and in the final one you see it's even bigger than the other 3 and seems to be changing to resemble the queen a bit in the carapace especially in the colours. when i first fought an omega i died. ALOT. it was tough because it could set the floor on fire spew laser beams which tracked fairly well and their weak spot was hard to hit because they were mobile, then i found they still had melee counters and super missiles work oh so well on them (first time i started actively using them incidentally) then when i got my powerbombs i found that these were brilliant to break that chest cover off. Made the omegas so much easier.

The Omegas were one of my favorite parts of this game. Not going to lie, I was kind of disappointed with the Queen. I'll give the game credit, she looks and behaves just like she did in the original, but they didn't add much to it. It's supposed to be this super disturbing, intense showdown at like the core of the planet against the source of all Metroids, and I don't think they did it justice due to staying true to the original. Kind of like the cinematic feel of Other M's battle with the Queen more to be honest.

But the Omega redesign was the exact opposite. I always wondered why the hulking, threatening one we saw at the end of Fusion was so much more massive and powerful than the ones we saw on SR388 proper in Return of Samus. Looks like they're retconning them to all be like the one in Fusion, which is a good thing. They should definitely be more intimidating and threatening that way, since it's the end of their natural life cycle.

On that note, I'm happy with the retcons in this game for the most part, since they were badly needed. It made no sense for the Metroids to not be vulnerable to the cold outside of their larval form, and Fusion contradicted it by having the Omega vulnerable to the Ice Beam. Having all of the forms susceptible to the Ice Beam in this game was a good thing to fix canonically as well as from a gameplay perspective.

100% Ending thoughts:
Plus that secret 100% Chozo Memory reveal.... the plot for the long lost Metroid 5 perhaps? A violent, renegade Chozo faction seems like an awesome new idea for a future Metroid villain post-Fusion where it looks like the Metroids and X are done for good.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yeah, this was a major problem with the original, and since the prevalence of the Metroids is kind of the entire basis of the game, not much was added to remedy that. There's two completely new bosses added, both of which were quite challenging, so there's that.

Also, all of the Metroid forms were pretty much completely revamped as far as the fight and how you defeat them is concerned. All of them behave drastically different than just the hovering around they did in the original, with the Zetas and Omegas being seemingly designed from the ground up in terms of physical appearance and how you defeat them.

Those two bosses are bloody fantastic.

The Omegas were one of my favorite parts of this game. Not going to lie, I was kind of disappointed with the Queen. I'll give the game credit, she looks and behaves just like she did in the original, but they didn't add much to it. It's supposed to be this super disturbing, intense showdown at like the core of the planet against the source of all Metroids, and I don't think they did it justice due to staying true to the original. Kind of like the cinematic feel of Other M's battle with the Queen more to be honest.

But the Omega redesign was the exact opposite. I always wondered why the hulking, threatening one we saw at the end of Fusion was so much more massive and powerful than the ones we saw on SR388 proper in Return of Samus. Looks like they're retconning them to all be like the one in Fusion, which is a good thing. They should definitely be more intimidating and threatening that way, since it's the end of their natural life cycle.

On that note, I'm happy with the retcons in this game for the most part, since they were badly needed. It made no sense for the Metroids to not be vulnerable to the cold outside of their larval form, and Fusion contradicted it by having the Omega vulnerable to the Ice Beam. Having all of the forms susceptible to the Ice Beam in this game was a good thing to fix canonically as well as from a gameplay perspective.

100% Ending thoughts:
Plus that secret 100% Chozo Memory reveal.... the plot for the long lost Metroid 5 perhaps? A violent, renegade Chozo faction seems like an awesome new idea for a future Metroid villain post-Fusion where it looks like the Metroids and X are done for good.

Omegas i loved those guys so much i was really sad that after fighting all these fierce metroids we only got 4 of the top echelon on metroids. Ironically i had major **** with the larval metroids ^^.

I always felt Fusions Omegatroid was as large as it was due to food supply. It had no competition for food and hence was quite literally the dominant member of the species. Samus was viewed as a hostile queen more likely than not and so it couldn't become a queen (the Baby is thought to be a new Larval Queen by some). I also feel like maybe the X-Parasites also finally learned to imitate Metroids it was a spaceship designed to study them and the parasites were amassing knowledge and mass. Those Parasites made any species bigger and deadlier.

I felt Ice beam kinda trivialised Alpha and Gamma was a hindrence in Zeta and useless on omegas.

Loved that Chozo memory by the by :P

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The Area 3 enemies take a lot, hopefully there is another defensive power up.

There are but i'll be honest the whole game revolves around that melee countering skill. Even with the best upgrades you're still gonna take damage. I'd actually say that getting ALL the energy tanks and Aeion Tanks are a Must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom