• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Metroid: Samus Returns

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Kinda curious as to what forumers opinions are on this remake of a classic game, i'm enjoying it a fair bit up to area three and so far i like it, i had a bit of a difficult moment in the 2nd zone but aside from that smooth sailing they did remove wall jumps it appears but bomb jumping is soooo damn easier ^^.

I love the fact the Metroids have so good attacks the first few i couldn't figure out how to fight properly and lot nearly all my health, and that was in early stages, i'm up to the next stage of metroid life (i think) and daaamn did i get my ass whooped, i'm loving the fact that metroid has come back and B they didn't bugger this up.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yo keep your damn crap that's unrelated to the game outta here you two. Go muck around in another thread but keep it on topic.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Okay, its hard as nuts and ugly as hell. The controls arent great but its 2D Metroid and as long as Suckamoto doesnt fancy gettin off on Samus, any 2D Metroid is good Metroid.

as much as i like this i am getting rapidly pissed with the missile function, granted i do have an abundance of them but they only come in use for shooting down metroids rest can be slaughtered by the combat parry.

Also if you get under 4 hours you get justin baily samus soooo i'm guessing he managed to shanghai some waifuin in.

as much as i like this i am getting rapidly pissed with the missile function, granted i do have an abundance of them but they only come in use for shooting down metroids rest can be slaughtered by the combat parry.

Also if you get under 4 hours you get justin baily samus soooo i'm guessing he managed to shanghai some waifuin in.

I dont like the Dark Souls style damage Samus takes. Its weird having her not be able to tank as much as she used to. The difficulty feels artificial to me because of that, especially with the do or die parry.

Also not a great fan of some of the new environment hazards or the new abilities, they feel cheap.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I dont like the Dark Souls style damage Samus takes. Its weird having her not be able to tank as much as she used to. The difficulty feels artificial to me because of that, especially with the do or die parry.

Also not a great fan of some of the new environment hazards or the new abilities, they feel cheap.

Still fairly early in but those damn swarms poison gas and red aura'd plants annoy me biiig time. The only time i've noticed large loss of life is with metroids i gain life as fast as i lose it.

I do love that pulse scan though

Still fairly early in but those damn swarms poison gas and red aura'd plants annoy me biiig time. The only time i've noticed large loss of life is with metroids i gain life as fast as i lose it.

I do love that pulse scan though

I tried not to use the Pulse Scan. Takes the fun away. But i enjoyed the game less as it went on so in the end i was just spamming it to move on quicker.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I tried not to use the Pulse Scan. Takes the fun away. But i enjoyed the game less as it went on so in the end i was just spamming it to move on quicker.

I've found it to be handy for finding those annoying ass upgrades ^^. I know they show up on the map as you uncover the tile but blech hidden blocks

Samus Returns is a fantastic game, and one of my favorites in 2017 for sure. 2D Metroid is back for the first time in well over a decade, and the result is an experience that combines Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion for one of the best games in the series.

I was a little nervous about the prospect of a Return of Samus remake. As one of the probably 10 people that has beaten the game 100% multiple times, it's a very archaic game that can be difficult to get through and not very fun. The idea behind it was pretty genius though, especially compared to the original we got before it and the sequels we got after it in Super and Fusion. It's very much more of a "hunting" game and less of an exploration game, which makes it unique in the series.

First and foremost, the controls in this game are the best in the 2D series bar none. The 360 degree aiming lends itself to a level of precision that Super wish it had; the way Samus handles is a great combination of the speed we got with Zero Mission and the jumping mechanics we got in Super/Fusion. The melee counter inspired by Other M's great combat is a fantastic addition as well, adding a new dimension to regular combat with common enemies and especially the various Metroid form encounters.

I love the take on SR388 as well. The original made it out to be kind of this desolate land with various same-looking catacombs, but it feels like a living, breathing planet in this one. Besides that though, I love the general progression of the game. It stays loyal to the original with segmented areas that have their own Metroid count, but it makes each of these areas much more "Metroid-esque", which takes me right back to when I played Super for the first time. We haven't had anything like this since Zero Mission in like 2005 and it's great.

Also, love the redesigned evolutionary path of the Metroids. They weren't much to look at in the original, but they're disgusting and terrifying in Samus Returns.

The difficulty is also very much welcome, and entirely appropriate; the solo Metroid extermination is among the most difficult things Samus has ever encountered, and it's about time we got a hardcore challenge in a Metroid game again (I don't think we've had one since Super).

This is an excellent game that I can't wait to try and speedrun under 4 hours to get the best ending.

I'm just glad Suckamoto has restrained himself from ****ing Samus up again and making her into his ***** waifu.

This wildly off topic response really is a perfect representation of why Metroid has arguably the worst and most entitled fanbase in all of gaming. I'm convinced that you and many others online are just truly ignorant of Metroid's history and canon, especially concerning Sakamoto's role in the 2D entries in the franchise. The man has been directly involved in some of the most fantastic entries in the franchise (Super, Zero Mission, Fusion, and now Samus Returns along with being a part of the original), and we owe a large part of the series' success to him. If you don't like those games.... I really don't think you should be concerning yourself with this series as it's apparent you're not a fan of some of its core titles.

I get it, people don't like Other M just because they're sensitive to how a characterless character was portrayed for the first time and it didn't match their headcanon, but I just really wish people would be more aware of how important Sakamoto is to the series, especially in light of this fantastic new 2D game he's just helped create.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Samus Returns is a fantastic game, and one of my favorites in 2017 for sure. 2D Metroid is back for the first time in well over a decade, and the result is an experience that combines Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion for one of the best games in the series.

I was a little nervous about the prospect of a Return of Samus remake. As one of the probably 10 people that has beaten the game 100% multiple times, it's a very archaic game that can be difficult to get through and not very fun. The idea behind it was pretty genius though, especially compared to the original we got before it and the sequels we got after it in Super and Fusion. It's very much more of a "hunting" game and less of an exploration game, which makes it unique in the series.

First and foremost, the controls in this game are the best in the 2D series bar none. The 360 degree aiming lends itself to a level of precision that Super wish it had; the way Samus handles is a great combination of the speed we got with Zero Mission and the jumping mechanics we got in Super/Fusion. The melee counter inspired by Other M's great combat is a fantastic addition as well, adding a new dimension to regular combat with common enemies and especially the various Metroid form encounters.

I love the take on SR388 as well. The original made it out to be kind of this desolate land with various same-looking catacombs, but it feels like a living, breathing planet in this one. Besides that though, I love the general progression of the game. It stays loyal to the original with segmented areas that have their own Metroid count, but it makes each of these areas much more "Metroid-esque", which takes me right back to when I played Super for the first time. We haven't had anything like this since Zero Mission in like 2005 and it's great.

Also, love the redesigned evolutionary path of the Metroids. They weren't much to look at in the original, but they're disgusting and terrifying in Samus Returns.

The difficulty is also very much welcome, and entirely appropriate; the solo Metroid extermination is among the most difficult things Samus has ever encountered, and it's about time we got a hardcore challenge in a Metroid game again (I don't think we've had one since Super).

This is an excellent game that I can't wait to try and speedrun under 4 hours to get the best ending.

This wildly off topic response really is a perfect representation of why Metroid has arguably the worst and most entitled fanbase in all of gaming. I'm convinced that you and many others online are just truly ignorant of Metroid's history and canon, especially concerning Sakamoto's role in the 2D entries in the franchise. The man has been directly involved in some of the most fantastic entries in the franchise (Super, Zero Mission, Fusion, and now Samus Returns along with being a part of the original), and we owe a large part of the series' success to him. If you don't like those games.... I really don't think you should be concerning yourself with this series as it's apparent you're not a fan of some of its core titles.

I get it, people don't like Other M just because they're sensitive to how a characterless character was portrayed for the first time and it didn't match their headcanon, but I just really wish people would be more aware of how important Sakamoto is to the series, especially in light of this fantastic new 2D game he's just helped create.

Never been the hugest fan of metroid only recently played super but i really love Same Returns and i love the backgrounds of each area, area 2 is so far the best because you actually see some living creatures in the background ^^ on the eastern side of it is a large biped drinking water.

I also praise the gods they brought back Lower Norfair that soundtrack is (excuse this) ****ING glorious. So far SR388 does indeed feel like a living planet and i'm loving it. Not a huge fan of having to collect Metroid DNA or there only being 40 metroids in the game, it makes it seem shorter T.T.

Right down to metroids ^^, only encountered the alpha and i think it's gamma and i gotta say i love Alpha's design the fact theres two types of metroid prevalent a electrical and a fiery type is awesome, means you gotta react differently to them and the Gamma, my god the Gamma i've died so much to him T.T it's a really creepy insectoid creature as well i think the cluster eyes give it that final touch y'know ^^

I also praise the gods they brought back Lower Norfair that soundtrack is (excuse this) ****ING glorious. So far SR388 does indeed feel like a living planet and i'm loving it. Not a huge fan of having to collect Metroid DNA or there only being 40 metroids in the game, it makes it seem shorter T.T.

I'm not really sure how I feel about Lower Norfair kind of becoming the "hot lava area theme" (I associate it more with a Ridley showdown buildup because of Super), but the remix was so awesome that I didn't care in the slightest. That's something I forgot to mention - I love the soundtrack of this game. The original Return of Samus had one theme that wasn't just disjointed beeps, and that was The Tunnel that played when you were between areas. Samus Returns remixes The Tunnel excellently, but manages to actually create some awesome atmospheric pieces from the "beeps" the original had. It's really good stuff.

Right down to metroids ^^, only encountered the alpha and i think it's gamma and i gotta say i love Alpha's design the fact theres two types of metroid prevalent a electrical and a fiery type is awesome, means you gotta react differently to them and the Gamma, my god the Gamma i've died so much to him T.T it's a really creepy insectoid creature as well i think the cluster eyes give it that final touch y'know ^^

This is another thing I adore about this game - the details. We know from past lore that Metroids are highly adaptive creatures (they were able to adapt to highly toxic substances like Phazon and were even able to become immune to the cold after heavy experimentation), so I love how they adapt to electricity and magma environments.

The "insectoid" approach you mentioned for the Metroid evolutionary path is spot-on. The Gammas are bad, but just wait until you meet the Zetas and Omegas. It's really disturbing stuff, and definitely takes heavy influence from the even more disturbing Xenomorphs of the Alien movie series.

Also, the Metroid fights are designed excellently. The Metroids gain more and more control over the flow of battle and how you're forced to fight the further underground you get and the nastier they evolve, just how it should be. It really took me a while to get down a core strategy for the Gammas and Xetas, but it's so satisfying when you get the pattern down, you're ultra powerful, and you can take them out with little problem.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'm not really sure how I feel about Lower Norfair kind of becoming the "hot lava area theme" (I associate it more with a Ridley showdown buildup because of Super), but the remix was so awesome that I didn't care in the slightest. That's something I forgot to mention - I love the soundtrack of this game. The original Return of Samus had one theme that wasn't just disjointed beeps, and that was The Tunnel that played when you were between areas. Samus Returns remixes The Tunnel excellently, but manages to actually create some awesome atmospheric pieces from the "beeps" the original had. It's really good stuff.

This is another thing I adore about this game - the details. We know from past lore that Metroids are highly adaptive creatures (they were able to adapt to highly toxic substances like Phazon and were even able to become immune to the cold after heavy experimentation), so I love how they adapt to electricity and magma environments.

The "insectoid" approach you mentioned for the Metroid evolutionary path is spot-on. The Gammas are bad, but just wait until you meet the Zetas and Omegas. It's really disturbing stuff, and definitely takes heavy influence from the even more disturbing Xenomorphs of the Alien movie series.

Also, the Metroid fights are designed excellently. The Metroids gain more and more control over the flow of battle and how you're forced to fight the further underground you get and the nastier they evolve, just how it should be. It really took me a while to get down a core strategy for the Gammas and Xetas, but it's so satisfying when you get the pattern down, you're ultra powerful, and you can take them out with little problem.

Funny enough you're spot on there Metroid is influenced by Xenomorphs ^^. I've found Freezing them works really well to stop any elemental charging on Gammas and Alphas, but Jesus the melee Parry for Gammas is tough. Also i was hoping Metroids would get tough :P I'm loving them so much.

I'm mostly too busy beating up lifeforms to notice the soundtrack but when i do i love that music :P

One thing to note outside of the metroids Arachnus' has to be one of the toughest bosses i've fought in a long time. Brings back memories of childhood when i couldn't beat early game zelda bosses like the Armos Knights in Eatern Palace, Gohma in the deku tree or Aquamentus ^^ i knew the technique and still died T.T Alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom