• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mega Evolutions Confirmed for Pokémon X and Y!

I think mega evolution will be something that is rarely if ever used competitively, especially since it means you can't hold another item i.e. a choice item or life orb or leftovers.

Fair game really. Something needs to be sacrificed in order to drastically change your Pokémon's Type, Stats, abilities etc. Mega evolutions freely using other items would just be over the top.

Whoa hey don't get yer hopes up yadig, see, I don't see GF/Nintendo doing such a thing, I don't think they would push Megas on every Pokemon ever because that'd entail designing and redesigning new sprites/models!

Yeah, that's the thing that I was worried about in one of my earlier posts. I find it baffling that some Pokemon receive a mega, while others don't. I wonder what's the rationale behind this. Like, how and why were certain Pokemon chosen over others? That is, assuming every group of a certain kind of Pokemon will not be receiving one... (inb4 popularity and fanservice)

I dislike when an established franchise introduces major gameplay changes well into its lifespan.

This reminds me of how the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game become unnecessarily complicated through synchro monsters.

There were enough fun battle changes already implemented in the game like flying battles so adding another stage of evolution seems gimmicky. Why introduce these evolutions now during the sixth generation? Hopefully, there is a decent story explanation as to why these evolutions are unique to the Kalos region.

I'm glad Nintendo at least balanced these changes by making them temporary.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I dislike when an established franchise introduces major gameplay changes well into its lifespan.

...Why? So long as the core gameplay structure doesn't change (which it isn't), new and exciting features can only be BENEFICIAL to a long-lived franchise. They honestly need that if they want to not feel stale, and Pokemon was on the verge of prior to the upcoming Gen VI.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hopefully, there is a decent story explanation as to why these evolutions are unique to the Kalos region.
"We discovered Mega stones in the Kalos region." There you go. That's really all there is to it. It's the same with, say, Leafeon.

...Why? So long as the core gameplay structure doesn't change (which it isn't), new and exciting features can only be BENEFICIAL to a long-lived franchise. They honestly need that if they want to not feel stale, and Pokemon was on the verge of prior to the upcoming Gen VI.
"on the verge" Hmm...

This reminds me of how the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game become unnecessarily complicated through synchro monsters.

There were enough fun battle changes already implemented in the game like flying battles so adding another stage of evolution seems gimmicky. Why introduce these evolutions now during the sixth generation? Hopefully, there is a decent story explanation as to why these evolutions are unique to the Kalos region.

But wouldn't it be a bit counterproductive to not implement a new idea into a given medium well into its lifespan? I mean, sure, the idea may have an equal chance of succeeding or failing, similar to your opinion of sychro-monsters (which I totally agree with), but not taking risks and implementing a new idea can prove fatal to a given medium. However, I tend to agree with the gimmicky bit; I myself am just a tad ambivalent towards the whole idea. It is more so your argument in disfavor of the idea that I don't agree with. Which brings me to a point regarding the idea's introduction in this generation. Why not? Of course, the game would have to provide a logical explanation for the idea, and it has. Say hi to the Mega Stone...

From what I gather, it has been said that there can be only one Mega per battle. Now this could mean two things: 1.) There can be one Mega Pokémon in the player's entire party, or 2.) there can be one Mega in battle at any time, which by extension may mean that Megas cannot fight alongside companions in double or triple battles (1 vs. 2/3/horde?). This might serve as a testament as to how powerful Megas truly are. With that in mind, Megas can be regarded as the series "Summons." Geez, it's about time that it acquired them; after all, the Pokémon series IS a JRPG... (lol)

I guess there is now another component to balancing the game...:j

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Check it, there's also a Mega Kangaskhan!

3YDlj.jpg

Serebii said:
It has the ability Parental Bond that allows its attacks to hit twice in one turn.

Fig

The Altruist

While synchro monsters did bring somewhat make the Yu-gi-Oh game unnecessary complicated, it did balanced the game as you must have certain cards in order to synchro summon the monster that you wanted. Now with the inclusion of XYZ monsters, I personally think by adding a few gameplay mechanics is needed in almost every franchise. With that said, it has been confirmed through Corocoro Magazine that each trainer may only have 1 Mega Evolution Pokemon in battle. It is not known if it's talking about all of the battle, or just within your team. This is presumably to allow for a specific balance in the Pokemon. It has also been been stated that the Pokemon will revert after the battle has ended, not within it itself.

But wouldn't it be a bit counterproductive to not implement a new idea into a given medium well into its lifespan? I mean, sure, the idea may have an equal chance of succeeding or failing, similar to your opinion of sychro-monsters (which I totally agree with), but not taking risks and implementing a new idea can prove fatal to a given medium. However, I tend to agree with the gimmicky bit; I myself am just a tad ambivalent towards the whole idea. It is more so your argument in disfavor of the idea that I don't agree with. Which brings me to a point regarding the idea's introduction in this generation. Why not? Of course, the game would have to provide a logical explanation for the idea, and it has. Say hi to the Mega Stone...

I totally agree with Wolf Sage. I believe that every once in a while a franchise will have to risk its success when the company decides to implement a new gameplay mechanic. At the same time, I do have to admit that sometimes a new gameplay mechanic may be somewhat "gimmicky".

Check it, there's also a Mega Kangaskhan!

3YDlj.jpg

Darn, and I was just about to post about it. :kawaii: I might as well discuss about it and edit the first post.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I... don't know how to react to Mega Kangaskhan. On one hand, OMG BABY KANGASKHAN FINALLY GETS TO FIGHT! On the other hand, Kangy's design doesn't change at all.

3ow6fu.jpg

Oh, by the way... Is it only the final form of a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve?

From what I gather, it has been said that there can be only one Mega per battle. Now this could mean two things: 1.) There can be one Mega Pokémon in the player's entire party, or 2.) there can be one Mega in battle at any time, which by extension may mean that Megas cannot fight alongside companions in double or triple battles (1 vs. 2/3/horde?). This might serve as a testament as to how powerful Megas truly are. With that in mind, Megas can be regarded as the series "Summons." Geez, it's about time that it acquired them; after all, the Pokémon series IS a JRPG... (lol)

I guess there is now another component to balancing the game...:j

Mega Evolutions can also only happen during a battle.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Still waiting for a Psyduck Mega Evolution. Come on Game Freak, don't drop the ball here, it's what we all want. Give us Megaduck! I even did a mock-up of what it'd look like.

dCSE1ZU.png

Make it happen, Game Freak. Make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom