• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Meat!

What is the best meat?

• Beef

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Chicken

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Pork

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Lamp

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Turkey

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Seafood

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Bison

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Dolphin

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Vegetarian

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Any meat that is not halal slaughtered. Halal is animal cruelty. I refuse to knowingly eat any meat that is slaughtered via the halal ways. I care too much for animal cruelty.
Also the halal certification tax does indeed help fun islamic extremist terrorism. Another reason to avoid all halal slaughtered meat.

Note Well: Not all meat packaging has a halal certification logo on it (there are many different logos for this). This is often hidden from the public.

I hope you dont eat non free range meats if your main reason for not eating halal is the cruelty, because the animals entire lives are often torturous if they aren't free range.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The way that zabiha works is that the animal's jugular is cut while someone recites Allah o Akbar, and the animal is left there for all of its blood to drain out. Zabiha is the method by which meat is made Halal, so stop shouting at people that they're saying propaganda without understanding. Halal simply means approved of by God, so basically anything that a particular sect of Islam says is good is Halal. The bad things are called Haram. Haram meat, from animals slaughtered without this ritual, is usual made by stunning the animal it comes from and then killing the animal. Neither way is painless, but that said there's not really any way to slaughter animals that's painless. The Halal method is more painful, and more excruciating, because the animal could take up to two minutes of bleeding out from its neck to die, while the stunning non-Halal kills them faster and with less pain.

I can understand where you're coming from, and the8thark is pretty conspiratorial, but Zabiha is a ritual some people don't want performed on the animals they end up eating, and don't want the animals to have to suffer a more gruesome death for them.
I'm not shouting at anyone without understanding. I already knew of this previously and even refreshed my memory by reading up on it more before I made that post. What you described is the same as what I said in much more detail. Don't talk to me about not understanding.

My problem isn't that people don't want to eat Halal meat, because that's their choice and that's fine. It's ridiculous to force someone to eat something they don't want to eat. No, my problem is when they start spouting a bunch of crap about it being evil and other propaganda because that is propaganda. There's no way to sugarcoat it. You can't call Halal animal cruelty without calling anything that's not free-range like @Deus said animal cruelty, too. That's what I have a problem with.

Feverish

Source of stink
CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN OH MY GOD CHICKEN
I love chicken tenders a lot, and that isn't a joke. Put one in front of me and it'll be gone in a blink of an eye. And then there's rotisserie chicken which I tear up and put on buns with some barbecue sauce and cheese which is also pretty great. And I couldn't live without chicken alfredo

I hope you dont eat non free range meats if your main reason for not eating halal is the cruelty, because the animals entire lives are often torturous if they aren't free range.
I do also try my best to eat free range also. You are totally corrrect in what you say there.

Reactions: Dio
Used to love steak, but I once had a big steak dinner whilst having a serious virus (it had been a few days so I thought I was in the clear) but I vomited everywhere at like 2 AM, and I can't eat steak without thinking of that experience

Chicken is definitely my favorite now, and I really enjoyed alligator from the bit I tried (mainly because it tastes like chicken)

Feverish

Source of stink
I really only like turkey if it's sliced, white turkey on a sandwich. Regular turkey isn't bad but I avoid it if it isn't thanksgiving

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Used to love steak, but I once had a big steak dinner whilst having a serious virus (it had been a few days so I thought I was in the clear) but I vomited everywhere at like 2 AM, and I can't eat steak without thinking of that experience

Chicken is definitely my favorite now, and I really enjoyed alligator from the bit I tried (mainly because it tastes like chicken)

Yeah that's what happened to me after eating the 'ox' liver. I was having it with some fava beans and a nice chianti. I haven't vommed in over a decade and that was actually the last time I did, but I just can't eat liver anymore and up until recently couldn't enjoy venison because it has that taste about it. Fortunately now I can eat venison and enjoy it so maybe I will be able to eat livers again one day too.

Lanky Kong

borf
i've tried a ton of exotic meats, so i'm going to rate them here
for reference, i consider chicken a 7.5/10 and beef a 8/10
Ostrich: 8/10
ostrich is like a weird hybrid between chicken and beef. it tastes more like beef than chicken, but its texture is an equal mix of the two.
Kangaroo: 10/10
kangaroo is like the perfect meat. it's like steak but much more tender and with next to no fat. i would recommend this to anyone who can access it
Goat: 8/10
it's like beef but gamier, tbh i like them equally
Elk: 8.5/10
it's like beef but more tender
Water Buffalo: 6/10
tastes like beef but more tough.
Bison: 6.5/10
bison is like beef but tougher and drier. if you can get high quality beef, just get that over bison (and if you live in an area with plentiful bison, you probbly can access high quality beef anyhow)
Duck: 7/10
usually, duck is to chicken as bison is to beef. however, in some cases when cooked well it can be better than chicken. I'm conflicted as to how i should rate this one, but overall i've got to go with slighty worse than chicken
Pheasant: 7/10
same argument as duck
also, this is unrelated but i personally want to recommend to everyone who likes meat a type of arab sausage called merguez. it's very delicious, and spiced nicely

Skunk

Floof
I'm not shouting at anyone without understanding. I already knew of this previously and even refreshed my memory by reading up on it more before I made that post. What you described is the same as what I said in much more detail. Don't talk to me about not understanding.

My problem isn't that people don't want to eat Halal meat, because that's their choice and that's fine. It's ridiculous to force someone to eat something they don't want to eat. No, my problem is when they start spouting a bunch of crap about it being evil and other propaganda because that is propaganda. There's no way to sugarcoat it. You can't call Halal animal cruelty without calling anything that's not free-range like @Deus said animal cruelty, too. That's what I have a problem with.

Alright, but just saying that Halal isn't animal cruelty because other forms of slaughter are is a terrible argument. And at any rate, we're talking about slaughtering methods. An animal being free range is irrelevant, because they could be slaughtered in pretty much any way. Obviously slaughter can't be painless yet, but until it can be, it's not a bad idea to look at different slaughtering methods and see what is the most humane. And zabiha isn't that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
i've tried a ton of exotic meats, so i'm going to rate them here
for reference, i consider chicken a 7.5/10 and beef a 8/10
Ostrich: 8/10
ostrich is like a weird hybrid between chicken and beef. it tastes more like beef than chicken, but its texture is an equal mix of the two.
Kangaroo: 10/10
kangaroo is like the perfect meat. it's like steak but much more tender and with next to no fat. i would recommend this to anyone who can access it
Goat: 8/10
it's like beef but gamier, tbh i like them equally
Elk: 8.5/10
it's like beef but more tender
Water Buffalo: 6/10
tastes like beef but more tough.
Bison: 6.5/10
bison is like beef but tougher and drier. if you can get high quality beef, just get that over bison (and if you live in an area with plentiful bison, you probbly can access high quality beef anyhow)
Duck: 7/10
usually, duck is to chicken as bison is to beef. however, in some cases when cooked well it can be better than chicken. I'm conflicted as to how i should rate this one, but overall i've got to go with slighty worse than chicken
Pheasant: 7/10
same argument as duck
also, this is unrelated but i personally want to recommend to everyone who likes meat a type of arab sausage called merguez. it's very delicious, and spiced nicely

I might do a rating list at some point. I've tried a lot of different meats but there was one one I haven't tried on your list and that is the Elk. I'd like to give that a go at some stage.
Where did you try Elk by the way?

Lanky Kong

borf
I might do a rating list at some point. I've tried a lot of different meats but there was one one I haven't tried on your list and that is the Elk. I'd like to give that a go at some stage.
Where did you try Elk by the way?
I had it two places actually, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada at this place called Normand's, and in Banff also in Alberta at The Grizzly House.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I had it two places actually, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada at this place called Normand's, and in Banff also in Alberta at The Grizzly House.

I need to stay away from this thread I am getting hungry. I looked up one of those sausages you mentioned. I'll have to give one a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom