• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask: The Heavily Debated Topic of Finding Link's Friend

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Hey everyone, I know this has been debated millions of times, but I started up Majora's Mask again a few days ago and I couldn't help but notice the caption that read : "...A journey in search of a valuable friend...A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiney and took his place among legends...". After this caption you hear the "twinkle" sound of a fairy flying away. When I read up on the game and played for the first time I was open to just about anyone from Ocarina of Time including Navi but after noticing this for the first time I'm convinced that it's Navi. Of course at the end of the game you don't see Navi and Link makes a new friend with the Skull Kid, but does that mean that Link continues his search for Navi? I just want to get some opinions to better understand the situation. Many people say the "friend" is Saria, or in fact that it is the SAME Skull Kid whom Link sells the Skull Mask to in Ocarina of Time. Can you guys give me your opinions? Thanks :)

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
Personally, I think it's Navi. I know we all found her annoying, but she was his closest friend. And she left at the end of Ocarina and we don't know where she went, while we know Saria is waiting to be awoken. And the Skull Kid wasn't an 'invaluable friend'.

SuperGleeok64

For the Greater Good.
It's probably not Skull Kid 'cause if Link truly was looking for Skull Kid would he have left to go elsewhere at the end of the game if he had been? Or could he be looking for someone we don't know about. Or he could be looking for someone we don't know left.

Personally, I think it's Navi. I know we all found her annoying, but she was his closest friend. And she left at the end of Ocarina and we don't know where she went, while we know Saria is waiting to be awoken. And the Skull Kid wasn't an 'invaluable friend'.
This.

Plus, we hear a fairy sound right before the cutscene to Link in Lost Woods. Or am I just hearing things?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, um...it's Navi. It talked about how his friend "parted ways with him" after he "waged battles across time," and that depicts Navi's departure at the end of Ocarina of Time perfectly. Plus, the sound of a fairy flying by is made after all the text *with the black screen still on.* (Which means it wasn't a foreshadow to Tatl, or anything, which is a huge stretch, anyway.) I don't see why anyone would think it's not Navi. It just doesn't make sense to think otherwise.

Djinn

and Tonic
Saria and Navi have been the two most likely candidates for the "lost friend" mostly since no one else can really fit the description. Or Link would not wonder around in the Lost Woods looking for them, he would be looking elsewhere. Anyone else is either not going to be anywhere near the lost woods, Link already knows where they are (like Zelda or Ruto) or he would not be close enough to them to look for them.

Saria might be the one he is looking for, she is called Link's closest friend a few times in the story, but it is unknown when she left for the forest temple in the story, and when Link went back in time the troubles that caused the Kokiri Forest to be dangerous leading to Saria leaving might have been avoided.
"Oh, you're leaving... I knew... that you would leave the forest... someday, Link... Because you are different from me and my friends.... But that's OK, because we'll be friends forever... won't we? I want you to have this Ocarina... Please take good care of it. When you play my Ocarina, I hope you will think of me and come back to the forest to visit." — Saria
That meanie, Mido, made me cut the grass at Saria's house. Mido told Saria he would do it so she would like him, but I'm the one doing all the work! You and Saria are close friends, so will you help me cut the grass? I'll let you keep anything that you find while cutting it." — Kokiri
Saria did wonder out to the sacred forest meadow early in the game, since this is on the other side of the Lost Woods it could be possible that she somehow got lost wondering to it. The argument against it is, she had been wondering to the sacred forest meadow for so long she should know her way through the Lost Woods by that point. Also this could be after the Deku Tree had died but before the sprout had grown so there was no guardian deity protecting the forest and Kokiri could become lost in the forest.
"If you're looking for Saria, she's in the Lost Woods, as usual. Don't tell me you don't know where that is! The entrance is up on the cliff overlooking the village! I know you'll get lost! Don't worry, you'll just end up back at the entrance! Harumph!" — Mido
Also the real nature of a Sage is not known, it is also unknown if they went back to being normal individuals after Link went back in time at the end. Saria could have simply disappeared from the Kokiri Forest and became the same of the forest regardless of Link's changing history. It was said that she cannot come back after she awoke as a sage.
"Oh...I see... Saria won't ever come back... But...I...I made a promise to Saria... If Link came back, I would be sure to tell him that Saria had been waiting for him... Because Saria...really... liked... Hey, you. If you see him somewhere, please let him know... And also... I'm sorry for being mean to him. Tell him that, too." — Mido
This disappearance might have confused Link as well who went out to look for her beyond the lost woods in the sacred forest meadow or the forest temple.

Navi might make more sense as the lost friend since we actually see her leave at the end of OoT. Although she was not accompanying Link for very long to be the invaluable friend, they had only known each other a short time during the course of Link's adventure. And Navi was only assigned to Link for the purpose of helping him on his quest. While Link was happy to finally resemble the other Kokiri.
"A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends..."
This does sound much more like Navi than Saria since they did part ways after he fulfilled his destiny. Since Link did return to the Kokiri Forest after the adventure he would appear out of place again without a fairy. And then might decide to go out into the forest to look for her again, not understanding why she left.

Another thing is, Link went through all those troubles in Termina, helped everyone living there, stopped Majora, and rescued the giants, but never actually did find that friend he was looking for at the beginning of the story. Whoever they are, they are still missing somewhere in the lost woods. This is less of a concern if it is Navi since she was capable of living in the forest before the was called by the Deku Tree to guide Link and could simply return without trouble.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Plus, we hear a fairy sound right before the cutscene to Link in Lost Woods. Or am I just hearing things?

Fairy sound? You must be hearing things :P

Just kidding. My take on the fairy sound is that it's the game's way of saying "This invaluable friend we're referring to is Navi, in case you haven't already figured it out." If you've beaten OoT, then the 'parting ways' bit should be a clear enough indication as to who the friend is, but they decided to throw in her jingle just in case.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Saria might be the one he is looking for, she is called Link's closest friend a few times in the story, but it is unknown when she left for the forest temple in the story, and when Link went back in time the troubles that caused the Kokiri Forest to be dangerous leading to Saria leaving might have been avoided.

It said that it was after the adventure that his friend left. It's rediculously implied it's Navi. In fact, it is.

it has to be Nav, even the manga agrees tatit's Navi, but also yea Link never does find her in the game, nor in the manga this why i always felt that there should be some sort of sequal it would put OOT Link into a trilogy which would be cool and i always felt that the game was a bit dissapointing at the end, cause ya knw when you start the game and guess that it's Navi that he's looking for you expect to actually find her in the game but no the game sends you leaving Termina at the end without finding Navi and even if he did there's no indication that he did fnd her so one would expect a third chapter for OOT Link

A

An Hero of Time

The official Japanese translation for MM's intro:

ハイラルに伝わる王家の伝説 そこに一人の少年が登場する
In Hyrule, a legend is handed down by the royal family in which a lone boy appears

巨悪と戦いハイラルを救ったのち 彼は、伝説から姿を消した
After saving Hyrule by battling a great evil, he disappeared from legend

時をこえた戦いを終え 彼は人知れず旅に出た
Done with the battles that exceeded time, he embarked on a secret journey

冒険の終わりで 別れた かけかえのない 友を探す旅に……
A journey in search of an irreplaceable friend he had parted with at the end of the adventure……

Link didn't part with someone like Saria or Zelda at the end of OoT; he parted with Navi.

So it's definitely Navi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom