• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mafia Round 3 (Game Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Din Akera

Sniper
I really hate my role.Oh well.I better not get killed at the beggining this time.Lets answer the questions then.

um... you arn't supposed to reveal anything about your role, and I know you know that because you have played games like this before. I know you were part of guild wars So the question is, was this a slip? Or are you purposfully trying to plant the see the you are just[I/] a townie and are unhappy with that?

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
um... you arn't supposed to reveal anything about your role, and I know you know that because you have played games like this before. I know you were part of guild wars So the question is, was this a slip? Or are you purposfully trying to plant the see the you are just[I/] a townie and are unhappy with that?

You can't check his role (only the cop can) so we'll never know, but it's very typical to say something like that.

IGMEOY: DracoMajora

T

TheSkywardSword

So we have begun, have we? Cool.

Concerning the village idiots/lurkers issue, I have a couple of points to make.
1. Sure, this is a good way to lynch someone, but not alone. And I stress this for good reason. Sure, they may seem stupid at the beginning, but they may turn out to be a helpful asset. Look at Zenox last game, he was acting pretty stupidly and suspiciously at the beginning, but as he calmed down, he became pretty valuable. So before you vote someone who is acting this way, make sure you've got some more evidence first.
2. No. No. No. That is all I can say. Mafia is not the only thing in the world. We have school, work, and generally stuff that keeps Mafia out of our minds. And by the time that we remember and log on - we've been lynched. Great. And when you aren't there to defend yourself, everyone else grows more suspicious, then when you're lynched and turn out to be the Vigilante or something, they facepalm at their own stupidity. Now I'm not encouraging people to lie low, that is a bad idea, and I'm not saying that all Mafia are active, because they aren't, but idleness alone is not a good way to win. Not a way to win, period.

And while we're on this subject, I would like to disencourage people to 'jump on the bandwagon,' as it is called, and vote just because everyone else is. You need to be convinced that this is the guy/girl you want.

I feel that the way to tell if these "villiage idiots" are scum or not is to read all of their posts in the game thread. If they are scum and go around posting so much, they are bound to let something slip eventually. If all of their posts are, for lack of a better word, spam, then there is a good chance they are just townies.
The point is the "village idiots" are so random and difficult to understand that whether they let something slip or not is irrelevant. I've played games with these sorts of people. We've found ones that were Mafia and ones that were Townie, but it's very, very hard to figure out which is which. The line blurs a lot.

1) I think lynching them works against us. Numbers is what counts the most in this game. Number of townie vs number of scum. The more on the townie team, the better.
Numbers count, yes, unless those numbers are made up of useless players who make no sense. When they don't make sense there is no way to read them, and they become dangerous. Not to mention even the Townie ones can be dangerous as they act like sheep and are easily controlled by the Mafia.

Players need to form their own theories.

2) I mostly see this a a random stab in the dark. Lynching simply because the are inactive is a bad idea imo, again choking up numbers. But if there is other suspicousness about them, i think it is a great move.
Thing is, them being inactive is in itself a suspicious quality. I don't think people should lynch based on one small thing, but yes, it is a suspicious quality that should not be ignored.

The only thing about these two types of people are that both are a waste of a lynch if there is no real evidence. Gives the mafia a free kill, which we all experienced to much in the last game.
There is no such thing as evidence in Mafia. It doesn't exist. There are theories, including theories backed by strong reasoning and analysis, but there is no such thing as solid evidence. Even the most obvious scum could end up being Townie or vice-versa. Don't go into this game thinking you have to wait until we're sure, because we will never be.

Waiting until we can be sure is a peacekeeper action, and in a lot of cases (not every one, but often) peacekeepers are actually dangerous.

Concerning the village idiots/lurkers issue, I have a couple of points to make.
1. Sure, this is a good way to lynch someone, but not alone. And I stress this for good reason. Sure, they may seem stupid at the beginning, but they may turn out to be a helpful asset. Look at Zenox last game, he was acting pretty stupidly and suspiciously at the beginning, but as he calmed down, he became pretty valuable. So before you vote someone who is acting this way, make sure you've got some more evidence first.
I can somewhat agree. There are people who need to be given a chance. But we still can't be sure if they're innocent or not because they could be scum who learn how to play as well.

Remember, this game is not an innocent until proven guilty system. We should not trust anyone. We can't, that's dangerous. It's illogical and suspicious behavior to assume we should wait until we're absolutely sure before lynching someone.

2. No. No. No. That is all I can say. Mafia is not the only thing in the world. We have school, work, and generally stuff that keeps Mafia out of our minds. And by the time that we remember and log on - we've been lynched. Great. And when you aren't there to defend yourself, everyone else grows more suspicious, then when you're lynched and turn out to be the Vigilante or something, they facepalm at their own stupidity. Now I'm not encouraging people to lie low, that is a bad idea, and I'm not saying that all Mafia are active, because they aren't, but idleness alone is not a good way to win. Not a way to win, period.
I understand where you're coming from, but the fact is that Mafia is an intense game, and unfortunately one that does require a fair amount of activity.

The best way to stay hidden is to stay quiet. I have employed this to MASSIVE SUCCESS as a Mafioso in an old game, and have seen many mafia do the same. It is a common and legit tactic. And unfortunately, because of that, you make yourself more suspicious by being inactive.

And while we're on this subject, I would like to disencourage people to 'jump on the bandwagon,' as it is called, and vote just because everyone else is. You need to be convinced that this is the guy/girl you want.
Agreed 100%.

It's incredibly stupid to follow others' theories, and that's actually the surest way to bring on the town's downfall. If you're going to vote, pay attention. Draw your own theories or the Mafia's manipulation will take effect. ;)

kokirion

I want to say something about the vengefull vigilante and RVS.

We're playing with 25 players, the "vengefull vigilante" is only one of them, while there are 7 scum. The change you randomly lynch a scum is seven times as big as the vengefullie (more easy to say) so you don't have to be afraid. Also the vengefullie kills someone random, who says it's a townie?? When there are less townies alive it could be very helpfull if people get randomly killed.

And the RVS, like Axle said, there is not such thing as "evidence" you can only have evidence when you are the cop. In fact, most votes in the beginning are RVS, they are based on conspiracy theories who are based on nothing.

I really hate my role.Oh well.I better not get killed at the beggining this time.Lets answer the questions then.

1)Well,I think the people who would act this way are either incredibly bad at the game,or aren't taking the game seriously.Those are both most likely to be townie,so I don't think it's a good idea.

2)Being inactive alone isn't grounds for a lynch,but it can be used as evidence,and put someone under suspicion.So no,unless you have more evidence.

What's with the bringing up of your role? I don't see why you need to announce that you hate it...:P

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
You have to realize these roles add up quickly though. :I vengefull vigilante gets lynched another townie will die. Princess/prince gets outed to the mafia and another townie on top of them dies. Most likely the vigilante is going to make mistakes and if the SK isn't on our side well... enough wrong moves and this game will be over very quickly.

We found out what happened when we just concentrated on inactives last game, and that was pretty much playing into the hand of the Mafia by picking off townies one by one.

kokirion

The problem is that "inactivity" can be used by the Mafia, they pretend like they are inactive while the village is only lynching the active players (most of the townies in this case) so I'm really glad people will get modkilled when they don't post in 3 days. 3 days are to short to play inactive.

@chise, have you ever played Guild Wars? In that game almost the half of everyone is scum but the game still takes at least a month. It's not that fast ;)

Wow there's been a lot of posts since I was last on. Anyway, to address the village idiots and lurkers issue:

Village Idiots: Why should they be lynched? We're just helping the scum then, which will eventually make us lose.

Lurkers: I agree with whoever said that they shouldn't get lynched, but it should be used as evidence against them, but I forget who said it :P

After going through the topic, the only thing I find a little suspicious is this:

I really hate my role.Oh well.I better not get killed at the beggining this time.

Granted, Dracomajora could have let it slipped but you can never be sure.

IGMOY, Dracomajora

AwesomeLink86

Link is awesome!!
There is no such thing as evidence in Mafia. It doesn't exist. There are theories, including theories backed by strong reasoning and analysis, but there is no such thing as solid evidence. Even the most obvious scum could end up being Townie or vice-versa. Don't go into this game thinking you have to wait until we're sure, because we will never be.

QFT

Question for mod (or anyone else who knows): Are the rules implying that there will always be a lynch even if a majority is not reached? I've always played that if you don't have a majority vote by deadline, then no one is lynched. Can you also vote NO LYNCH?

kokirion

QFT

Question for mod (or anyone else who knows): Are the rules implying that there will always be a lynch even if a majority is not reached? I've always played that if you don't have a majority vote by deadline, then no one is lynched. Can you also vote NO LYNCH?

Yes, if there isn't a majore lynch the one with the most votes will get lynched

Hanyou

didn't build that
The problem is that "inactivity" can be used by the Mafia, they pretend like they are inactive while the village is only lynching the active players (most of the townies in this case) so I'm really glad people will get modkilled when they don't post in 3 days. 3 days are to short to play inactive.

@chise, have you ever played Guild Wars? In that game almost the half of everyone is scum but the game still takes at least a month. It's not that fast ;)

Inactivity can be used by the mafia, but we have to look for more clues than that. Admittedly, clues will become more obvious once we have made our first lynching and the mafia has made its first nightkill. But even then there is not a guarantee (as you have admitted yourself), and quite frankly one could justify random lynching throughout the game with the train of thought that there will never be "evidence."

No one's saying we have to be certain who's mafia beyond a shadow of a doubt before lynching. But there's a reason some of us are discouraging randomly targeting members, regardless of activity, in the first day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom