• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Link's Handedness and Potential Controls

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I have to agree that the analog stick for the sword would be awkward, But i think all control options should be available, and used to their fullest extend. How the gamepad could do this WITHOUT using the stick for control of the sword i dont know, may a more elaborate version of how you are moving with the left stick, like forward jab, back for either and up slice, right and left fore you vertical slices, but then we would be missing the diagonal strikes. so im stump on that. But i think it would be cool to use the pro controller and the gamepad in tandem, where as the gamepad just functions as your inventory on the fly, maps, ect. we will just have to see how this pans out!

However JJ you went all out with that OP. I mean you really got your sources and visual proof down, i commend your thoroughness!

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I'd rather have a game-enhancing mechanic than a minor convenience.
I liked the motion controls in SS, but now I just wanna play a Zelda game with normal button controls rather than multi-directional sword swings.

Also, I don't think camera controls is minor, it is important to me at least.

Last edited:
I'd rather a button be pressed to control link's sword.

Same. I'd be fine with a motion control scheme or whatever they dish out, but I wouldn't mind the return of a simple push of a single button to use the sword. The controls could be somewhat like The Wind Waker, in which you could tilt the control stick to slightly modify Link's sword slash combos. This little 'maneuver' could be performed in other past games in the series as well, to a lesser degree. A lot of people are unware of this little detail (lol).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
However JJ you went all out with that OP. I mean you really got your sources and visual proof down, i commend your thoroughness!

Gee, thanks. :embarrassed: :sweat:

At E3 I was really hoping to see something about what the game's controls would be like (if we knew something about the controls and had the name of the game then I may be satisfied).

Yeah, I was disappointed that we didn't get any info on that. Hopefully we will at Gamescom.

Clank

Hmm
How you hold/use a bow doesn't have to do with your dominant hand, rather it has to do with your dominant eye. Most of the time it correlates directly to your dominant hand, but there were a couple of people in my small archery class where their dominant hand and eyes were different.

So yeah, this suggests that he is right handed, but by no means confirms it (I mean he was a special case in SS, so they might do that again).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
How you hold/use a bow doesn't have to do with your dominant hand, rather it has to do with your dominant eye. Most of the time it correlates directly to your dominant hand, but there were a couple of people in my small archery class where their dominant hand and eyes were different.

So yeah, this suggests that he is right handed, but by no means confirms it (I mean he was a special case in SS, so they might do that again).

Correct. Like I said, alone the bow & arrow thing isn't really enough evidence. That's why I pointed out other things to coincide with it.

I also said that he might NOT be right-handed, just that I think it's likely that he will be.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
View attachment 35855

As we can see here, his sword is on the right, meaning he draws it with his left... yes?

No. Reaching all the way across his horse to pull out his sword would be counterproductive. Notice how he has his arrows on the right side of his horse, as well, and uses his right hand to pull them back.

Of course, he might wind up using his left hand to pull out the sword on his horse, but it'd be a very odd design choice.

I don't think that this information alone is enough to determine links handedness but I hope he stays a lefty. I can't see them using WM+ controls simply because this needs to focus on the gamepad to really sell people on the Wii U. And honestly, TWWHD played so well with the gamepad I wouldn't want to play with the pro controller.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't think that this information alone is enough to determine links handedness

I know, and I addressed that myself. This is all just speculation on my part.

I can't see them using WM+ controls simply because this needs to focus on the gamepad to really sell people on the Wii U.

Pikmin 3 is proof that you can utilize the GamePad's features excellently while still having the Wii MotionPlus as the "main" control scheme. Zelda will also sell people on the Wii U just because it's Zelda.

And honestly, TWWHD played so well with the gamepad I wouldn't want to play with the pro controller.

And you wouldn't be forced to. That's the beauty of having multiple control options.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
See, now you're overlooking that I said the right analog stick would be used to emulate the 1:1 controls. I'm know that buttons wouldn't be able to properly do that, and I know that attempting to do such would end in disaster. I'm also aware that trying to swing the GamePad around would be a ludicrous concept.

I hope to god they don't use the right analog for that. Movement would be awful. I haven't played a new game that didn't utilize dual analogs for movement for years.

There've been other games that have used the right analog stick for sword control before, such as Metal Gear Solid 2 & Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (though that one functioned a bit differently than what I described), and they did it just fine. I have full confidence that Nintendo would be able to nail it. I mean, they've always nailed Zelda's controls, so what would stop them now?

They've always nailed Zelda controls because they've always used their own control scheme. Not yours. If you worked for Nintendo, perhaps this would be a difference conversation.

D

Deleted member 14134

View attachment 35855

As we can see here, his sword is on the right, meaning he draws it with his left... yes?

Yes, you would wear a sword on you right hip if you were to draw it with your left hand and same on a horse. Drawing with your right hand while wearing on your right side would not allow you to hold the sword properly unless you are somehow freakishly double jointed in your wrists lol.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Yes, you would wear a sword on you right hip if you were to draw it with your left hand and same on a horse. Drawing with your right hand while wearing on your right side would not allow you to hold the sword properly unless you are somehow freakishly double jointed in your wrists lol.

It's positioned in such a way that Link would easily be able to grab it with his right hand -- all it would take is a small turn of the wrist, followed by a good tug, and he'd be holding it properly. He did the same exact thing when grabbing his arrows.

It's also positioned in such a way that would be extremely strenuous to grab it with his left. He would have to reach all the way around his body just to do such, and that's just not practical, nor is it smart combat-wise.

Edit: And let's not forget that his shield is on the left side of his horse. Were he to grab his sword with his left hand, that would mean he would have to grab his shield with his right. Surely you know what that means; he'd have to grab them separately as opposed to at the same time. Again, not practical and not smart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom