• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Link's Handedness and Potential Controls

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
It's positioned in such a way that Link would easily be able to grab it with his right hand -- all it would take is a small turn of the wrist, followed by a good tug, and he'd be holding it properly. He did the same exact thing when grabbing his arrows.

It's also positioned in such a way that would be extremely strenuous to grab it with his left. He would have to reach all the way around his body just to do such, and that's just not practical, nor is it smart combat-wise.

Edit: And let's not forget that his shield is on the left side of his horse. Were he to grab his sword with his left hand, that would mean he would have to grab his shield with his right. Surely you know what that means; he'd have to grab them separately as opposed to at the same time. Again, not practical and not smart.

Till you mentioned the Shield, i was disagreeing with you, as crossing you body to Draw your sword, is the ideal way to do it, however, i would not make sense to do so with your shield. Usually you would grab your sword cross body, while looping your Shield around your wrist, So i dont know, im stumped now!

D

Deleted member 14134

It's positioned in such a way that Link would easily be able to grab it with his right hand -- all it would take is a small turn of the wrist, followed by a good tug, and he'd be holding it properly. He did the same exact thing when grabbing his arrows.

It's also positioned in such a way that would be extremely strenuous to grab it with his left. He would have to reach all the way around his body just to do such, and that's just not practical, nor is it smart combat-wise.

Edit: And let's not forget that his shield is on the left side of his horse. Were he to grab his sword with his left hand, that would mean he would have to grab his shield with his right. Surely you know what that means; he'd have to grab them separately as opposed to at the same time. Again, not practical and not smart.

I still think it would be awkward to grab with his right, though you're right in saying there's abit of a reach with his left. As for the shield, it might just be stored in that position, if the battles take place at high speeds I imagine Link would be able to use his left as his sword hand and his right to hold the reins and control the horse. Holding a sword and shield wouldn't give much control over a horse unless there were slower paced battles where Epona was not running at the time.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I've been meaning to reply to this thread for the longest time, but I've constantly forgotten....

Anyhow, I think for the first time for a console Zelda game, there is reason to believe that multiple control schemes will be supported. Not only, as ThatGamerGuy mentioned, do games like Pikmin 3 support both the GamePad and Wii Motion Plus, but Nintendo has shown a larger interest in every type of control scheme from traditional button pressing to motion control with nearly every first party game on the Wii U. Months after release, Pro Controller support was patched into New Super Mario Bros. U, for example.

Nintendo has already technically experimented with multiple control schemes with the Gamecube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess. Granted, those were on different systems, but the idea still holds some ground. If I recall correctly, Aonuma and Miyamoto cited the Wii Motion Plus as the future method of control for franchises like Zelda implying it has some sticking power. The Pro Controller is a bit of the stretch as the GamePad will, at the minimum, clear up the HUD, but Wii Motion Plus support is by no means far-fetched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom