• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Face

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Let's compare, kids.

Picture18.png
Picture16-1.png

Yeah, they're really not too different... Obviously TP Link has a darker complexion, his eyebrows are thicker and more rectangular and his nose is slightly flatter.
I don't think he looks that feminine in either shot (He's a young teenager, anyway. He's not supposed to be big and uber manly..)

The facial features in both that I think make people call Link "girly", are his eyes and lips. Both Links have anime-inspired large eyes that flare out very slightly at the top corners, which may seem like a feminine trait to some. SS's Link's eyes are pretty heavily outlined in black which I'm not a big fan of, but whatever. TP link exhibits this too, but those outlines are in a subtler brown, so that's easily forgivable.

At certain angles, their lips can be a little overdone, meaning unnecessary upper lip distinction, when just bottom lip shading should be present... that might have a "girly" quality to it, I guess, but it only happens at certain angles and lighting, so I personally don't care.

Picture1.png
Picture2-1.png

In the end, I like the fact that Link isn't some overly masculine he-man of a video game protagonist. He's a very distinct character and while one Link may look "manlier" than the other, they're both young men, and I think they reflect it accurately.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I had never thought of Link os being girly at all, although looking at the pictures that Hylian Pants has posted, it does look like SS Link is wearing Mascara or something. But it's not a big deal, 'cause, I mean, how often will you see his face then you play? Not very often. And I also agree with HP among others when they say that they're glad Link isn't some Macho-guy. They might be fine for whatever game they're in, but in a medieval fantasy game, I think that would just look wrong.
In short: Link is fine.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
I don't think those SS pics do that link justice, what about this one?

Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 2.03.46 PM.png

Little small but i think it looks more like what the SS link is meant to look like.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Link in Slyward Sword is cool... but his face isen't quite what I expected, I thought he would be significantly older and that the difference would show in his face, but instead I can't tell if TP Link or SS Link is older. Which is a let down for me but only because I had my hopes up in that way. Something fans tend to do but still, the style for SS Link is pretty good but they have mentioned that there is still tons of work to do on the graphics. Could it be that this was an early version of Link's face? that would be awesome!!! if we had a pre SS Link to make fun of because they re-did his face to fit the newly tuned graphics lol I would call him butterface Link hahahhaa awwww not funny.

ZeldaSS04.jpg

Also I thought his hair would be more defined than ever before, but I was wrong about that too (unless they make a newer final version of this Link)
Click the picture <3

Con-man

Master Swordsman
HP, it looks like those pics you have of SS link ARE from the trailer(didn't realize that until i looked closer), but you blew them up, the TP pic was meant to be that size, so of course it's gonna look better and more defined,

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
HP, it looks like those pics you have of SS link ARE from the trailer(didn't realize that until i looked closer), but you blew them up, the TP pic was meant to be that size, so of course it's gonna look better and more defined,

Actually pal, those aren't blown up at all. All of those pics except the second TP one were screenshot'd from normal sized Youtube videos. The reasons that the TP shots are more defined is because

1) the style itself is inherently more defined
2) because the videos of the SS trailer were not in as high quality.
3) and because the first SS one was captured from a paused motion.

...I never meant for the TP pics to seem better than SS... I even said that they're pretty similar. I don't think I stated preference over either face.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
Ok, sorry, HP, but still whether they're blown up or just bad quality it still downplays the SS face. If we both took the pics from the exact same place, then why does mine look so much better? Aaaah,, I just need to shut up and stop being so argumentative. :)

Eskhandar

or khan he?
Eh, I like the new Link's face. I think it will be able to show even more emotion than Toon Link.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Ok, sorry, HP, but still whether they're blown up or just bad quality it still downplays the SS face. If we both took the pics from the exact same place, then why does mine look so much better? Aaaah,, I just need to shut up and stop being so argumentative. :)

No worries, you weren't really being being argumentative, more like you were just making an harmless assumption.

Our pics are different because yours was taken at a different point in the trailer. I took mine of Link at pause while he was in the middle of a sword swing so that I could get a picture of him head on and fairly close, so we'd be able to see his features. At the beginning scene of the trailer when he is first introduced unsheathing the sword, I found that his face was too small and far away for the purpose of this thread.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
They look pretty similar to me, besides the fact that the graphical styles are different.
And SS Link looks more energetic, which is good, because looking at TP Link made me drowsy. Although this is mostly cause of the lack of awesome bright colors.
However....Nintendo said that this Link was going to be the oldest he's ever been. Yet he looks the exact same age (if not younger) as TP Link. Ugh, darn cel-shading!

....Since when did Link look girly?? I like his smooth, chiseled face and bright eyes.
The other guys are just jealous of his BA looks xD

Z

Zoras Domain

Absolutely. I would hate Link to look like ever other muscley male character on the market.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Link looked very mature in TP. There was no trace of girliness in his face in TP. In SS though, I think that he looked just a mature. There was that stern look in his eyes that made him seem intimidating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom