• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Sneezes in OoT!?

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
(sorry if this has already been pointed out, I couldn't find any threads in the search but... oh and sorry it was in the wrong place xDD)

The other day I was messing around with Redeads and the Iron Boots in the Royal Family's Tomb on OoT (GCN version), and my brother distracted me. When I came back to the game, Link had gone into his 'idle' animations, but he did something I've never seen before- sneezed!
I stared stunned at the screen and waited to see if he'd do it again, or whether I'd imagined it. But sure enough, he stared shivering, rubbed his arms and then sneezed. I was amazed, I'd never seen him do it before xD
It was positively adorable :3

I investigated it a bit more, and he does it in other holes/caves as well, as both Young and Adult Link (he tends to do it more as an Adult if you change boots in the cave e.g. put the iron/hover boots on). I still can't get over that after 10 years I found something I'd never seen before in the game. Shows how much care and detail Nintendo put into their games~

Had anyone else here seen/noticed this?

Last edited:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Doesn't this belong in the OoT/MM forum?

And, indeed he does.

If you leave Link to figit somewhere cold - like the Ice Cavern, he'll start sneezing. He sneezes in the prescence of ghosts/in crypts - I noticed him sneezing a lot when he was in Dampe's tomb.

Also, a little trick that a friend taught me - anywhere hot (such as the Fire Temple)... if you back Link into a corner where the camera can't pan on its own behind him, you'll see him, as he wipes sweat off his brow, look as though he's catching himself/keeping himself from pasing out.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I never really realized exactly what conditions will constantly make him sneeze, but then I don't really leave Link alone long enough to see what he does and when more than one or two times. I tend to see him kick the dirt off his boots, and then I get bored of waiting and start running around again. :P

I think it's neat that he sneezes when near to ghosts or when in crypts. Not just because the idea of being underground might mean it's colder, but that it could be a play on the real-world concept that if a ghost is present in a room then the temperature is supposed to drop a significant amount.

A

Anthony

Hmm, I belive that I have seen this happen before.
I think that with certain conditions Link will sneeze, such as underground areas or caves.

I belive this may be because it is colder in these areas, mostly because there is no sunlight in these areas.
Nintendo probably only placed this is the game as an extra, like music that only plays after you leave the game to idle for a while.

Also, if a ghost is present, such as a Poe (which I have noticed happening) Link will sneeze, for as the myth goes, Temperatures in a room severely drop if a spirit is present.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Wow, that's awesome, I didn't know he sneezes near poes too. I was stood next to a redead when it first happened but I didn't think enemies would/could affect his animations. Heh, funny they play on the real-world concept of temperature drop near spirits xD
And of course he'd react to hot as well! I wonder if there's any other animations for different conditions, I'll have to give it try...

Also sorry this was originally in the wrong place, I saw it as a kind of mystery, but I guess it's more suited here xDD

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I've seen it although I didn't research it enough (or at all) to find out he does it in all caves and holes and around poes. I discovered it while just messing around in my room while I left the game running (I was searching for something in my room) and I found it and went back to playing it and as soon as I grabbed my controller he sneezed. I was kinda astonished but didn't think much of it. Just thought it was Nintendo's genius shining in the Land of Hyrule.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Sometimes, I like just to leave Link idle to see what he does. I've discovered a vareity of reactions.

Different Link idle reactions as I remember them:

Kicking dirt off boots.

Yawning (I seem to recall him yawning... but I can't remember where. I think it's something he only does as a kid).

If on Epona - he'll pet Epona, slap her on the neck or rump.

If he has his sword out - he does sword poses, sword flourishes. Can get annoying when you're ready for action and you pick up the controls when he's mid-flourishing. I've had enemies take advantage of it.

Cold conditions or prescense of ghosts - same stuff he does regularly, with added sneezing. I seem to remmeber him sneezing A LOT in Dampe's tomb.

Hot conditions - wipes sweat off brow, looks like he's going to pass out and catches himself. This is WITH the Goron Tunic. Without it, he has a catch-on-fire-and-die time limit.

Badly hurt/down to two or less hearts - He huffs, slumps over, and coughs painfully. If you leave him for a few moments, you see him really double over, hands on knees, coughing, sounds of pain.

----

In Twilight Princess:

I've seen Link, when idle and with his sword out, slap it against his boots in the boot-cleaning move. At least, I remember seeing him do that, I could be mistaken.

As a wolf - if you leave him long enough, he will eventually sit down and wag his tail. He will also stretch and yawn.

Midna - will pet him on the side (much like Oot/MM Link does with Epona). She will also look around, and occasionally will stand up on his back, turn right around and look over. She looks like she is scoutinng for enemies.

And of course, she yawns when you're idle. A lot.

HaruHaru

The one with pickles
I remember The first time I noticed that, I was in the same place! I was half asleep, and I accidentally rubbed my foot against the volume control on my remote. Right after the volume shot up, Link sneezed! It scared me So much:P

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Shadsie: lol I remember most of those, I used to leave him idle just to see what he'd do. xDD I remember when I was little I'd copy him when I was bored stood somewhere (like in a queue)

He shivers/sneezes in the Ice Cavern too, but yet he kept yawning in frozen Zora's Domain wut
I noticed him also ajusting his belt, and looking around (if you're stood outside).

I wonder if he does it in MM too, I've never really let him stand idle in that one (for obvious reasons)...
I'll look into that later~

EDIT: Yeah, Link does most of his OoT idle animations in MM, and he'll sneeze if you're in the mountain village when it's cold, haven't had time to check out Snowhead dungeon or underwater or anything though ^^

Last edited:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
A good time to see MM Link's idle animations is if you're doing one of the mask quests where you have to wait for something - such as being stuck waiting for the postman outside of Kafei's hideout during the Reuniting Kafei and Anju quest. Even with the Song of Double Time, you may find yourself just... waiting.

Wind Waker Link yawns a lot. I was doing a little re-playing of the game today and had to get up to go to the bathroom a lot (don't ask) and I'd hear him yawning from the other room. He'll also just kind of look around.

Doesn't this belong in the OoT/MM forum?

And, indeed he does.

If you leave Link to figit somewhere cold - like the Ice Cavern, he'll start sneezing. He sneezes in the prescence of ghosts/in crypts - I noticed him sneezing a lot when he was in Dampe's tomb.

Also, a little trick that a friend taught me - anywhere hot (such as the Fire Temple)... if you back Link into a corner where the camera can't pan on its own behind him, you'll see him, as he wipes sweat off his brow, look as though he's catching himself/keeping himself from pasing out.
Holy crap. I wasn't aware of this! :O

That's a nice detail they put into the game.

I did notice the sneezing and shivering the other day, actually. I was playing Master's Quest and it happened in the Windmill after I screwed it up with the Song of Storms. I thought it had to do with the song and the rain it brought on, so I played it a few times outside and nothing happened. But it probably happened in the Windmill because it's actually part of Dampe's Tomb.

Silver

The Blue Bomber!
I've always noticed that he does sneeze, it's just that I never really cared. I always thought it was some idle stance or something. Although I never knew how to trigger it. Also, I do agree it is quite strange and baffling at times!

I noticed this the first day i had the game. I was in the Deku Tree, had to leave for 5 minuets, came back and he was doing some weird movements. SO i watched if for a little bit, and i seen him sneeze, shiver, and move around. It was really cool to see, and i have no idea what they mean if they mean anything.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I noticed this the first day i had the game. I was in the Deku Tree, had to leave for 5 minuets, came back and he was doing some weird movements. SO i watched if for a little bit, and i seen him sneeze, shiver, and move around. It was really cool to see, and i have no idea what they mean if they mean anything.

I think the idle animations are there to humanize the character. :)

I find it incredibly adorable how it's programmed into the character to act... like we would act if we were left wating somewhere, in different situations. Of course, some of us might be yelling at our players to "Hurry it up, already!" but Link is a quiet, polite boy, for the most part.

Other video game characters get some interesting idle animations. The original Sonic the Hedgehog games have Sonic tapping his foot, *glaring* at you, and once in a while looking at his wrist (watch).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom