• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Should Have a Voice!

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
I do not think Link should have a voice, period. It's his trademark not to talk. Besides, the last series to add voices was Metroid and look how that turned out.

Just because Link doesn't have a voice or any in-game text doesn't mean he's some blank slate for the player. As Extra Credits said in "Learning from Other M" ACTIONS DEFINE A CHARACTER

Ignoring that stupid cartoon, let's take the very first game and guess. We know he's a boy, he seems to know how to use a sword and other weapons, he travels alone so he must know how to take some care of himself, he's brave enough to not only travel a monster filled Hyrule, but also enter the dungeons, face monsters and battle one on one with the mighty Ganon. And the manual itself said he had a "burning sense of justice". All of this means he's a brave, determined boy who is willing to face impossible odds to save lives. True this is all just us guessing, but somewhere in those 8-bit pixels, there's a character in Link. Just because he doesn't speak or have any dialog text doesn't mean he needs any of that to be his own character or make him better... or, say, be turned into an incompetent, perverted buffoon because the writer doesn't know anything about the game or medieval fantasy.

I'm okay with him not having a voice. Having dialog COULD work if it fits him, but for now I'm okay. I do imagine him with a voice at times.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I've found a fandub, that sounds really nice. The girl who is talking there has a beautiful voice. So, you may watch this video, just to imagine how a dub could sound like. The video is taken from Twilight Princess.

[video=youtube;73tIQj7RAM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tIQj7RAM8[/video]

I've found a fandub, that sounds really nice. The girl who is talking there has a beautiful voice. So, you may watch this video, just to imagine how a dub could sound like. The video is taken from Twilight Princess.

[video=youtube;73tIQj7RAM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tIQj7RAM8[/video]

This was really good.

I really don't see the problem in Link joining in the talking, as long as he only speaks when spoken to and keeps a neutral opinion, unless the player can make choices.

Think of the main character from red dead redemption, sot of like that.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wouldn't like for Link to have a voice, but dialogue boxes as per Azure Sage's suggestion would be alright so long as they don't have too much text. Also I wouldn't like for the series to push for better graphics, Nintendo might slip up and create a "Current generation game" as I call them rather than a Zelda game.
Offtopic:John Marston is probably one of my most favorite characters ever, he almost had that feeling that Link has.

Back to Link, we did kinda have dialogue boxes in Wind Waker, though they were few and far between. That, in my opinion, was good for Link because it still gave us an opinion (accept vs reject in most cases), but at the same time didn't force something upon the storyline based on that simple making a selection on a jumble of text. At the end of the day in that scenario, we are still Link because we still choose what to do with actions rather than words (if you understand what I'm saying, I honestly don't). If Link had voice acting, I believe he'd (with time) become another generic character in another generic, graphics based poor gameplay game simply because that automatically limits the Link persona to the degree of a couple lines repeated that are stored in the game disc. Even if Nintendo chose the best voice actor to voice Link, I still think he would be vastly limited.

Take Ryan's example of John Marston from the PS3/360 game Red Dead Redemption. He's pretty amazing, we get to make our own choices with him as far as if he's evil or good. But, he's John Marston. Everyone in the game calls him "Mr.Marston", "John", etc. That's partly due to his own distinct voice and commands, we don't really call the shots in a sense. For example, if Miss MacFarlane asks to help rope up some cattle and I press the affirmative button, John will vocally say in the affirmative. In Zelda, Link is the player even if the player names Link something completely off of their real name. Everyone refers to him as [Player Name]. If we make a choice, we virtually do that choice with our own actions, not through words of the character. I know I'm not making the most sense, mostly because I don't understand English all to well, but I hope you can at least get the main idea out of that mess of a post. :)

Last edited:

Kybyrian

I've always disagreed with the subject of voice acting. Personally I feel that it doesn't get you as involved in the game. When Nintendo said it makes you feel less like you're the actual character, they're right. In games that I've played where the main character talks a lot, it's kind of hard to get involved and feel as if you are the main character. I played Crysis 2 not long ago, and it works very similar to Zelda as far as the main character goes. The entire time I was playing I felt like I was actually the guy inside of the suit going through the game. The same is with any Zelda game I've played. I just feel that voice acting kind of ruins the tradition that Zelda has set forth and makes you feel less involved.

I don't doubt that Nintendo could pull off voice acting in a great game, but I think voice acting altogether is just kind of the wrong idea for a Zelda game. Just think... we have had absolutely no voice acting for not just Link but any character the entire series. The only difference between the other characters and Link is that he has no dialog, period. If they ever add dialog to Link, I suggest voice acting, though. It seems that voice acting would be better than just adding dialog to Link. That being said, however, I don't wish to see either in a future Zelda game. We've gone too far without it for Nintendo to change it up now. It's something a majority of their fans are opposed to and they recognize that.

Take Ryan's example of John Marston from the PS3/360 game Red Dead Redemption. He's pretty amazing, we get to make our own choices with him as far as if he's evil or good. But, he's John Marston. Everyone in the game calls him "Mr.Marston", "John", etc. That's partly due to his own distinct voice and commands, we don't really call the shots in a sense. For example, if Miss MacFarlane asks to help rope up some cattle and I press the affirmative button, John will vocally say in the affirmative. In Zelda, Link is the player even if the player names Link something completely off of their real name. Everyone refers to him as [Player Name]. If we make a choice, we virtually do that choice with our own actions, not through words of the character. I know I'm not making the most sense, mostly because I don't understand English all to well, but I hope you can at least get the main idea out of that mess of a post. :)

Yes! Thank you for reminding me of his name lol :P

I see what you're getting at, but, back to the body language thing, Link nods when he's asked to round up cattle, which is the same as answering in the affirmative by speaking.

I believe red dead redemption is great proof that a character can have a voice, but at the same time the player can also feel in control of and emotionally connected to that character.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
I do not think that Link should have a voice.
The big part about Zelda is that you are Link (or [insert name here], if that's what you prefer). I can play how I want, and do whatever I want when I want. Nobody or nothing is contradicting what I do because there is no "set in stone" character guidelines, other than you wear green and such. Other than that, the character development is 100% up to you. You can choose to rush through fighting evil, or you can choose to do everything else. (You can also choose to only do sidequests that gain you rupees and not do anything else but that would only be a short and boring game.)

Dialog options would be a halfway decent alternative, but only in a very limited sense. In a good RPG they have a varied enough choice that you can essentially get the response from the other character you wanted, and with a little practice and experience you can essentially "choose" an option to get the response you would have gotten by "saying" whatever you want to say. However, this only works with games based heavily on character development and not story or gameplay. (Hence, an open RPG.) Zelda lets you develop your character however you want, if you want. If you just choose to play the game as a game then Link will remain nothing but an emotionless extension of your own self in the game, and that's fine.

When you throw voice overs, it multiplies the potential problems exponentially. Just given one choice of what to say, and you can't "say" something other than what you "choose". And even if it's exactly what you'd say, it's not ever going to be how you'd say it. How would the game know if you like, dislike, love, hate, distrust, etc. the character you're interacting with? Should you put the emphasis in the sentence "Where did you go?" on go, on you, on where? Should it even have emphasis? There is no possible way to get the voice acting from the character you're playing to match that which you want him to be. Meaning the character's personality is predetermined. Which is purely an RPG; not what Zelda is about at all.

It is not a Zelda element to play the character, but rather to be the character. It is not an RPG element to be the character. An RPG, you are playing the character (it's even directly stated in the genre name; you are playing the role). In the unique, amazing adventure that is Zelda, you are Link. And the series wouldn't necessarily be ruined by voice acting alone, but you cannot add something as drastic as voices without changing other stuff, and in that case you might as well not call it Zelda.

As a comparison, look at the Halo series.
I can play that game all I want. But no matter what happens, I will always be playing Master Chief, instead of being Master Chief playing the game.

A

Ark96

If link had a voice, nintendo would have to try and find quotes that EVER zelda player would say, otherwise link isn't saying what you, so in my opinion, it wouldn't feel like an RPG

Epona

Ordon Village
I do not want Link to have a voice. I am Link. You are Link. WE are Link. The player is Link. It would just be weird if a character I am playing is talking, and it's not what I'm thinking or what I would say. I would feel a huge disconnect between myself and the character I'm playing, the character that is supposed to be me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom