• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link and Zelda's Relationship

To be honest if Aonuma and Miyamoto were to suddenly make Zelda and Link be related, but before you find that out, together, I'm sure that game would be banned. That'd be sending out a SERIOUSLY wrong message to kids. There's gotta be a law against including incestial relationships in games and such lol.

Actually in some animes there are incestial relationships so it's not as uncommon as you might think.
I don't see Nintendo ever doing that with the Zelda games, and ever if they did NOA would change it.
But I don't see Nintendo doing it in the first place.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Why? Just because it was Link's mother that brought him to the kikori forest, Doesn't mean that she wasn't the Hylian knight. However, we have never seen a female knight in hyrule (at least I dont think so,) although this doesn't mean there aren't any.

This doesn't help give evidence that Link is part of the royal family. If the mother was a soldier then she most certainly was NOT the queen, as the queen definitely would not be fighting in a war. Whether she was the soldier or not doesn't affect Link being in the royal family or not.

Well... why would a solider be carrying a baby around?

And why would the soldier be the queen? As I stated before, the queen would not be fighting, hence her being a soldier doesn't matter when discussing Link being in the royal family or not.

To be honest if Aonuma and Miyamoto were to suddenly make Zelda and Link be related, but before you find that out, together, I'm sure that game would be banned. That'd be sending out a SERIOUSLY wrong message to kids. There's gotta be a law against including incestial relationships in games and such lol.

There are plenty of different generations of Link and Zelda which means that in some games they could be related (except that's never hinted to in any game) and in other games they can be romantically involved.

Unless there was a game where Link and Zelda are obviously romantically involved AND related, then we don't have to worry about incest.

A

Angelmonster

To tell the truth I don't know what their relationship is. Before TP I wanted them to be a couple, would just add that extra layer to the story. Technically though they never actually spend time in the game. I really got this feeling with OoT when they meet as children at the end.

Then TP comes along and to tell the truth I like the idea of Zeld aand Link fighting together for the greater good and Link ending up with Midna. I liekd Link and Midna's "relationshop" much more then Link and Zelda!

I've never understood how Link and Zelda could have a relationship.

Zelda is the Princess of Hyrule and is of royal blood.
Link is just a common citizen of Hyrule.
There is no way that he and Zelda can be together.

The only Link and Zelda that can have a relationship are Link and Tetra because Hyrule is no more in that timeline.

HaruHaru

The one with pickles
Quite Annoying....

I Do really hate it when People Automatically picture them both together. I can see why people who have no idea whatsoever about what they are talking about think that. Take my friend Carter, For instance. He thought That Link and Zelda were married. How disturbing. Theres a ****-load of Manga and Sprite comics I have found on The Interwebs that involve them being in a relationship. xD

Kazumi

chagy
Hrmm.. Well, I've always liked the Link x Zelda pairing. I've always thought that it made sense. As I always go for the practical yet refined pairing. Barring Fruits Basket. (Kyo x Kagura) Sure, there have been many hints through out the series. My favourite Link and Zelda hint would have to be Link's flashback of Zelda in MM. I found it very touching. Yet other shippings, such as Midna x Link also have a few hints I believe.. In TP at least.. Because Midna is only in TP. As Zeruda pointed out earlier, both Miyamoto and Aonuma support the Link x Zelda pairing. I think that is decent proof. But really, there will never be a confirmed relationship between Link and Zelda. They just won't do it. As much as Miyamoto would like to. The best we will get is a hint here and there. Like it is right now.

As for the Link and Zelda being brother and sister thing, as everyone else has said, it's easily disproved. I'm not going to bother listing all of the reasons that have already been said by other people.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I just don't like the idea of Link and Zelda being together. To me, as close as it should get is the same situation as Mario and Peach. It's hinted to that they are love interests, but they never are actually stated that they love each other or like each other or are together. It can be slightly hinted at but I wouldn't like anything being acted upon in a game. It takes away from being able to identify with Link.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I just don't like the idea of Link and Zelda being together. To me, as close as it should get is the same situation as Mario and Peach. It's hinted to that they are love interests, but they never are actually stated that they love each other or like each other or are together. It can be slightly hinted at but I wouldn't like anything being acted upon in a game. It takes away from being able to identify with Link.

That is a good point, and I think that is why ZeLink moments (and other pairing moments) are rare in the games. The only real, solid moments are:

TAoL: 1. Behind the curtain at the end 2. The manual states that Link had the mark of the next king. Both are more like strong hints rather than OMGINYOURFACE proof.
OoX: Zelda kisses Link, and he gets all swoony with the cheesy hearts and stuff.
LA: The Marin x Link thing going on, only if one considers Marin the dream version of Zelda. Never been proven or disproven.

Personally, I like the Link and Zelda pairing. Their social status really isn't a hinderance considering that TLoZ is a fairytale, and Royalty x Peasants happens all the time in fairytales. In any case, I'm one who likes certain ZeLink pairings, but not all. Some support them all. Some don't support them at all.

But you're right when you say that it'd take away from being able to identify with Link. With the whole Link/Player bond, I don't think it should ever be a solid thing, but more like the Peach x Mario relationship.

A

Angelmonster

How does this take away from being able to identify with Link? most old fairy tales involve the guy rescuing the Princess and they live happily ever after. There is no reason to not identify with "getting the girl".

Unless a female is playing then they get the enjoyment of the couple getting together. Nintendo is so PC beyond what it should be though I think they would rate Zelda NC-17 if they proposed their love for one another or jus theld hands, lol.

wha tI find really funny though is saying someone can't identify with Link being in a relationship but fighting monsters with a sword is a lot eacier to identify with. becaus eyou know that happens all the time lol.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
How does this take away from being able to identify with Link? most old fairy tales involve the guy rescuing the Princess and they live happily ever after. There is no reason to not identify with "getting the girl".

Unless a female is playing then they get the enjoyment of the couple getting together. Nintendo is so PC beyond what it should be though I think they would rate Zelda NC-17 if they proposed their love for one another or jus theld hands, lol.

wha tI find really funny though is saying someone can't identify with Link being in a relationship but fighting monsters with a sword is a lot eacier to identify with. becaus eyou know that happens all the time lol.
I think what Zemen is trying to say is that it takes away from the bond between Link and the Player. What if Link has feelings for the princess but the Player does not? What if the Player prefers Link to have romantic interests in another character, or no romantic feelings at all? Forcing a relationship on Link is the same as forcing it on the player, and that's not always welcome.

Seeing hints is better, because it leaves the relationship up for debate, and the relationship debates are just as huge as timeline debates. It's part of what keeps the series going. Ultimately, if the Player sees fit that Link and Zelda share a romantic relationship, then it is so. If they don't, they Link and Zelda do not. Only a few games have had solid ZeLink moments, and after the distaste shown by many at the forced Link x Ilia relationship in TP, it's safe to assume that doing that with Link and Zelda would have a simiar- if not the same- result.

So what is their actual relationship? It's going to vary from game to game. They could be the best of friends like they were in The Minish Cap, or they could show comradery as they did in Twilight Princess. Whether or not the relationship devles into romance is left up to the individual players, and it's more than likely going to stay that way unless the Link/Player bond is broken and Link becomes his own, fully-developed character.

A

Angelmonster

Honestly I have never had that problem in a game before. I love the relationships in Final Fantasy. It adds more depth to the game, that they are actually human and not just game characters walking around and fighting monsters. My one critique of the Zelda games have always been that Link is a pretty boring character. I understand I am suppose to be Link when I am playing but he never talks, never has an opinion, is never a character beyond someone coming in and fighting monsters :-/

I would much rather have the whole story, including what Link is feeling, then nothing at all. I dislike things that ar eleft for our own interpretation.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think what Zemen is trying to say is that it takes away from the bond between Link and the Player. What if Link has feelings for the princess but the Player does not? What if the Player prefers Link to have romantic interests in another character, or no romantic feelings at all? Forcing a relationship on Link is the same as forcing it on the player, and that's not always welcome.

Seeing hints is better, because it leaves the relationship up for debate, and the relationship debates are just as huge as timeline debates. It's part of what keeps the series going. Ultimately, if the Player sees fit that Link and Zelda share a romantic relationship, then it is so. If they don't, they Link and Zelda do not. Only a few games have had solid ZeLink moments, and after the distaste shown by many at the forced Link x Ilia relationship in TP, it's safe to assume that doing that with Link and Zelda would have a simiar- if not the same- result.

So what is their actual relationship? It's going to vary from game to game. They could be the best of friends like they were in The Minish Cap, or they could show comradery as they did in Twilight Princess. Whether or not the relationship devles into romance is left up to the individual players, and it's more than likely going to stay that way unless the Link/Player bond is broken and Link becomes his own, fully-developed character.

Thank for explaining that for me. You did a great job.

To add on to what this says, like Zeruda was saying, if they were going to make a solid relationship with Zelda then Link would have to be a fully devoloped character, and by that I mean he would HAVE to be named Link in the game, he would have to be able to talk and he would have a personality.

That's another thing I meant when talking about identifying with Link. You always get to name your character (with the exception of older titles) and he only talks in theory (when answering questions etc..). You get to put yourself in the game because there essentially is no character. You can imagine what he's saying as if you were saying it. You can put your own name in the game and you can be called the hero. You're projecting yourself into the game. If they forced a relationship, like Zeruda said, then there is much less of your identity in that character because you don't get to choose. Like Zeruda said, what if you don't want them to be together? Then you immediately stop identifying yourself with Link and the game becomes a little less creative.

A

Angelmonster

Then give us the choice int he video game. If they really want us to be Link then give us more choices. Make the game a little more customisable. IE: At the end of TP, say the Mirror did not have to break. End it with Link looking at Midna and Zelda and then off to the horizon. Give us the choice of going with Midna, going with Zelda or walking off into the sunset. That way 1) You get to choose what the ending to the story is, even better then having to suffer a bad ending. 2) You get to see different endings depending on who you choose. 3) People will play the game more if they want to see the other to alternate endings :-)

Best of both worlds for everyone. Zelda is so notorious for not answering the big questions that it starts to get to you after playing these games for 15 years now. Just answer a few of the big questions already! No more coping out and "leaving it up to your interpretation!" -_-

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Then give us the choice int he video game. If they really want us to be Link then give us more choices. Make the game a little more customisable. IE: At the end of TP, say the Mirror did not have to break. End it with Link looking at Midna and Zelda and then off to the horizon. Give us the choice of going with Midna, going with Zelda or walking off into the sunset. That way 1) You get to choose what the ending to the story is, even better then having to suffer a bad ending. 2) You get to see different endings depending on who you choose. 3) People will play the game more if they want to see the other to alternate endings :-)

Best of both worlds for everyone. Zelda is so notorious for not answering the big questions that it starts to get to you after playing these games for 15 years now. Just answer a few of the big questions already! No more coping out and "leaving it up to your interpretation!" -_-

Then the game would have to put much more focus on romance which would still take away from identifying with Link. They are FORCING us to choose someone and they are FORCING us to be in romantic situations. I don't play Zelda games because I want to be a matchmaker. They leave just enough hints and thoughts in your mind after a game to the point where you can decide for yourself, without it needing to be in the game, if they are together or not.

A

Angelmonster

Wrong, they do not force you at all. re-read what I wrote, I said they give you three ptions. 1) Go with Midna. 2) Go with Zelda. 3) Go off into the sunset, meaning you do not choose to have a relationship with either of them. It gives the ebst of both worlds to the people that want a relationship and to people, like you, that do not want one. That can make everyone happy then and it can also give us alternate endings to watch. I see nothing bad in that at all. Have the hints drop throughout the entire game and wait til the very end to choose whether you want to know is Link ends up with someone(who you can choose) or leave into the sunset and not know. They are not forcing you to do anything, you are given the full choice. This actually allows you to identify with Link a lot more because you are choosing your own characters destiny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom