• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Let Me Tell You Why AoL Was Horrid. *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Indridcold85

So I am doing this thing where I am trying to marathon the Zelda games. I was planning on skipping AoL because it doesn't even seem like a Zelda game to me. People told me I should try it so I gave into playing it, against my mind telling me not to. I can handle the sidescroller aspect of it. That wasn't a problem to me. Here are my problems. If I have a sword that can shoot magic I would really like for it hurt more than like three monsters. Second would be that it doesn't look like Link has a sword more than just a dagger, with the range of a dagger. This game doesn't seem like a Zelda game as it does a "Tales of.." game. I didn't like the bosses except shadow Link. But if i want a real shadow link battle i will play OoT. I wanted some items that i could play with but not so much with that. If i had to rate it i would give it a 1 / 5. Sorry... Just didn't like it.

So the game that brought the Triforce of Courage, the Magic Meter, the mark on Link's left hand, Dark Link, and the upward and downward thrust that we see in many other games is horrid just because of minor things? This just sounds like whining to me.

Indridcold85 said:
If I have a sword that can shoot magic I would really like for it hurt more than like three monsters.
Sword beams made you over-powered in LoZ, so they were powered down to only affecting the weaker enemies. Also, these enemies come from upper Hyrule, LoZ was in lower Hyrule, so there can be a difference in the monsters' defenses.

Second would be that it doesn't look like Link has a sword more than just a dagger, with the range of a dagger.
Anything better than that?, cuz this excuse is old.

I didn't like the bosses except shadow Link.
Why not? All the bosses in this game are unique to the series. The bosses in this game were great and they only appeared in this game, excluding the blue Iron Knuckle, since Iron Knuckles appear in other games.

But if i want a real shadow link battle i will play OoT.
The only thing I can say to this is if you didn't have the Dark Link battle in The Adventure of Link, then you would most likely not have this battle in Ocarina of Time.

Also:
So I am doing this thing where I am trying to marathon the Zelda games. I was planning on skipping AoL because it doesn't even seem like a Zelda game to me.
Why isn't it a Zelda game to you? It's the sequel to LoZ and it has Zelda in the title. Obviously it is a Legend of Zelda game.

Last edited:
It seems to me that most people who didn't like AoL say the same things. "Short sword", "not a Zelda game", "Bosses suck", and most commonly "no items".
These are all just cover-ups. In reality, it's just too hard for them, and they need to either practice or leave. I don't want to sound vicious, but the whole point of Zelda 2 was to be hard like every other good NES game. Those complaints about items? You get PLENTY of items to use! If you want items in the sidescrolling parts, there are these new and VERY important things called "spells". If you want to experiment, use the spells.
Also, you didn't like the bosses? What's not to like about them? Their patterns are unique, they each have somewhat clever weaknesses, and you even get a challenging fight when you have every good spell and technique.
When you said "if I wanted a Dark Link fight, I would play OoT", there is one thing you forgot: time. This is before we could fit bosses of that magnitude on a cartridge.
You're asking too much of a game that can only do what it's limited to.

I

Indridcold85

Hey don't get your panties in a knot, I was just saying why I didn't like it. There were plenty of Nes games that were hard that I loved. Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man games, River City Ransom, The "Real" Super Mario 2 (lost levels to most), Metroid, Captain Skyhawk.....just to name a few. I will just equate it to the "Doki Doki Panic!" Mario 2. It sold well but it wasn't not as good as the original. They changed the format as they did in OoT. But OoT did it well. If everyone liked zelda 2 so well why did they go back to the original format for aLttP? If you liked the side scroller magic using link and the upward and downward thrust I suggest the Phillips CD-I games except Zelda's Adventure...;)

Indridcold85 said:
Hey don't get your panties in a knot, I was just saying why I didn't like it.
Yes. You were. I can understand why you don't like it. I'm just saying that your reasons sound a bit whiny, especially the "sword being too short" reason. A lot of people use that one.
Also, I'm just countering your reasons in an attempt to make you rethink about what you think about the game. The way you sound, it makes it seem as if you don't appreciate this game.

Last edited:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I really didn't like AoL either, to be honest with you. I took the time to beat it, but I didn't enjoy it enough to recommend it to anyone who isn't dead set on beating all the Zelda games.

I sort of enjoyed the combat, but I disliked the side-scrolling layout of the dungeons. I also thought the translation was horrible. "I am Error"? Seriously? "Get candle in Parapa Palace"? How primitive. Before you say that they couldn't do better than that on the NES... well, just take a look at Final Fantasy. THAT was an 8-bit game with good story.

Well, I never took the time to beat AoL, mostly because it was too hard to me, so I can't say if I like it or not.
But, as Pocket Asian said, your reasons did seem whiny. I think that you're seeing the game in a prejudiced way.
If you want to know if a game is really good, you shouldn't take in acount other games in the series, or you'll be too tied to the series' convencions and won't be able to enjoy the game's new aspects.
You have to play it open-minded.

I

Indridcold85

Hey I gave it the benefit of the doubt. That is about as open minded as you can get. I love that you people are nit picking my "whining". All I said is that I beat it and I didn't like the new format. Also if there you agree that there is a flaw in a game with tons of people, there is usually reason to back it up. LOL it is like you are trying to convert me to liking something I don't. Just agree to disagree. :)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
IN ADVANCE, SORRY IF I COME OFF AS SNAPPY. I MEAN NO OFFENSE BY IT, AND IN ADVANCE APOLOGIZE TO ANYBODY WHO MAY POSSIBLY BE OFFENDED BY MY SARCASM.

I was planning on skipping AoL because it doesn't even seem like a Zelda game to me.

I don't like that way of thinking to be honest. It's a direct sequel to the original LoZ. It had the Zelda feel. It had the Zelda characters. It even had the Zelda plot (well, a Zelda feeling plot). It was made by Nintendo and only Nintendo with the mastermind behind the first game, Shigeru Miyamoto, helping out. And it's not a Zelda game how?

Indridcold85 said:
I can handle the sidescroller aspect of it. That wasn't a problem to me.

Well, at least you aren't following every other AoL hater and saying that the sidescrolling sucked.

Indridcold85 said:
If I have a sword that can shoot magic I would really like for it hurt more than like three monsters.

I'll admit, it did seem kinda odd that they give you a sword beam but it's only useful in the areas before Death Mountain. But, sword beams were overpowered in LoZ. Extremely overpowered. That was Nintendo trying to make the game harder like other NES games.

Indridcold85 said:
Second would be that it doesn't look like Link has a sword more than just a dagger, with the range of a dagger. This game doesn't seem like a Zelda game as it does a "Tales of.." game.

Okay. So it looks like Link has a dagger with the range of a dagger. Since when did the range of a weapon become a legitimate reason to dislike a game? :huh: Lemme guess, now you're gonna make a thread about how OoT sucked because the Kokiri Sword looked like a glorified dagger and had the range of a dagger.

Indridcold85 said:
I didn't like the bosses except shadow Link. But if i want a real shadow link battle i will play OoT.

Okay, what's not to like about the bosses? Some of them had some pretty clever weaknesses (giving a boss with the name THUNDER BIRD a weakness to the THUNDER spell? A boss that can be made easier with the Jump spell? A boss that requires the Downward Thrust? Those were pretty clever boss weaknesses for a Zelda game actually) and even if you used the appropriate spells (Jump and Shield for, oh say Gooma) there wouldn't be any guaruntee that you'd make it out alive were amazing.

And come on, the Dark Link fight in AoL was fierce. He wasn't your equal like in OoT. He wasn't a major pushover like in ST. The scales were tipped in Dark Link's favor. Seriously, Dark Link in that game is potentially the hardest boss in the series. And if you don't use the corner trick, then beating Dark Link becomes EXTREMELY satisfying to beat.

Indridcold85 said:
I wanted some items that i could play with but not so much with that.

Okay, Zelda 2 didn't exactly have that many items and most of them were barely used. But, you see, there were these things called "Spells" that pretty much took over for the items. All of them had SOME use in the game, were extremely useful (Shield, Life, Fairy, you know), and actually didn't allow you to completely destroy the game.

Indridcold85 said:
If i had to rate it i would give it a 1 / 5. Sorry... Just didn't like it.

Eh, you can think that if you want to. You're just another hater who didn't seem to give the game a fair chance. You went in there expecting to hate it. And whaddaya know. You hated it. It's only because you went in there expecting to hate it that you hated it.

It's just like SMG2 was with me. I expected it to be the one of the hardest games I've ever played. And whaddaya know, it kicked my butt.

Indridcold85 said:
Hey I gave it the benefit of the doubt. That is about as open minded as you can get. I love that you people are nit picking my "whining".
It's not nit-picking, I'm just defending my favorite Zelda game much like any one would defend their's. You only used minor factors that aren't really a big deal. The only good point you seemed to make was the bosses which I still don't understand.

All I said is that I beat it and I didn't like the new format. Also if there you agree that there is a flaw in a game with tons of people, there is usually reason to back it up.
Yes, I understand. Every game has its flaws. No game is perfect. The Adventure of Link is flawed. Ocarina of Time is flawed. I can accept flaws, and I do accept them.

LOL it is like you are trying to convert me to liking something I don't. Just agree to disagree. :)
No, we're just trying to make you realize how important of a game The Adventure of Link is to the Zelda series. Saying that it "isn't a Zelda game" is truly absurd. It brought many of the elements in Zelda that we see today. Magic Meter, Spells, Hidden Moves, all those come from this game.

As I said before, it seems like you don't appreciate this game. I'm not trying to make you like the game. I'm trying to make you realize its importance to the series. It is a Zelda game.

I

Indridcold85

no I didn't like it. I beat it. Get the heck over it that I didn't like it. If you don't understand that lump it. I am sick of people telling me that I have to like it. No I don't. It was short, I hated the spells, I hated the bosses, and I hated the lives system. Get over it.

You aren't reading what I'm posting, are you? I didn't say you had to like The Adventure of Link, I just said that you needed to realize its importance to the Zelda series. One does not need to like a game to understand that it's important.

I

Indridcold85

grow the heck up. I was playing zelda before you were out of diapers.....Your argument is stupid and making fun of me shows your immaturity. But if you insist that i must like a game that i don't i will leave your forum....I was hoping i could find tolerance but i guess not.

Indridcold85 said:
grow the heck up. I was playing zelda before you were out of diapers.....Your argument is stupid and making fun of me shows your immaturity.
Immaturity right there for you, too. My argument is not stupid. My argument comes with good reason. Yours did not. If you want to talk about my "immaturity," then you can just send me a visitor message or a private message and we can talk from there. Threads are not the place to talk about that.

But if you insist that i must like a game that i don't i will leave your forum....I was hoping i could find tolerance but i guess not.
Want to know a secret? It's not my forum. Don't tell any one, though, k? If you want to leave because I'm disagreeing with you, go on right ahead.

But now that my segment of immaturity is through, I'll let you know that I can tolerate people's opinions. I'm just here to debate and have stressed this many times: I'm not here to make you love The Adventure of Link, I just want you to know it's important to the series. Like I said in the last post, you don't have to like the game to get its importance.

Last edited:
grow the heck up. I was playing zelda before you were out of diapers.....Your argument is stupid and making fun of me shows your immaturity. But if you insist that i must like a game that i don't i will leave your forum....I was hoping i could find tolerance but i guess not.

Seeing as I was playing Zelda before I was out of diapers means that this game has kicked my *** for over 15 years. (and no I wasn't in diapers when I was 5... I was introduced to LoZ when I was 2 and a half) Its not my favorite game in the series. But I have found it challenging none the less. I would never go for another "leveling up" Zelda game, but I did indeed like some of the other aspects of it. The dungeons for one were challenging. Things like the Death Mountain Maze and finding the hidden 'tiles' or whatever you want to call them on the overworld is what made the game interesting.

For the record I still haven't beaten this game. I have thrown my tantrums many a time yet I keep going back to it, knowing someday I will beat it. It will be one of my greatest Zelda accomplishments because I stuck with it.

AoL is horrid because its hard. Its horrid because it challenges you. Horrid doesn't necessarily mean its a terrible game. Horrid also applies to "cruel" Which I would say dying over 140 times before you even get to the final palace is a little cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom