• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Kazuya Mishima comes to Smash

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Fig

The Altruist
Well, after watching his presentation, he’s about as interesting as I expected, which is to say he’s not interesting in the slightest.

Having the original stick inputs was kinda neat the first time, but now that we’ve reached the 4th character to do this it’s kinda boring. Isn’t the entire point of smash from a mechanical standpoint to be easy to learn due to only having 4 directional inputs? I get that kazuya wouldn’t feel right without them, and I’m not saying that having characters with more than 4 directions should be outright done away with, but I feel like we’re starting from the point a little here.

Aside from that there’s very little mechanically that really leaves an impression. His neutral special is pretty neat, I’ll give him that, but aside from that all of his moves just seem kinda uninteresting. His various combos exist, but once again that kinda defeats the purpose of Smash in the first place. This isn’t Tekken, I shouldn’t have to memorize the combination to the safe at Fort Knox, the lyrics of Modern Major General, the opening paragraphs of every single Sherlock Holmes story, and the first 327 digits of Pi just to unleash a string of punches.

His “revenge” gimmick is just a worse version of Terry’s and Sephiroths. He gets a new move at a certain percent, but only one, and he can only use it once. It’s better than Pyra and Mythra gimmick of swapping between Mario and Dr.Mario, but not by much.

The Mii Fighters were once again the clear highlight of this presentation. I don’t think Dante, Shauntae, or the Dragonborn really had a chance of making it in, and they more than deserved at least a Mii costume, and I’m always happy to see a character I don’t want in smash get deconfirmed like Lloyd.

Overall, 4/10 update. Really could’ve been better.

Gonna start from the beginning because I'm missing something there. And there won't be any flaming. Criticizing ==/== attacking/flaming, let's get that out of the way now.

I'm going to say it, but just because a character doesn't appeal to you, doesn't make them bad. It's subjective at best and the whole point of DLC is to make you buy the DLC because you need to buy the base game first to even have access to the DLC. Tekken deserves to be included into Smash because Nintendo outsourced the game to Bandai Namco since 2013 with Smash 4 (3DS) and Smash 5 (Wii U) and also worked on Smash Ultimate. Another Namco rep was going to happen and Kazuya fits the bill, especially when you consider that the Tekken team is just down the aisle and you can transfer any and all resources with ease. You couldn't ask for a more efficient method of resource management than that during a pandemic.

Steve is literally the only character in this pass that’s iconic enough to deserve to be in smash bros. He’s no more a meme than Sephiroth is, and is just as iconic as Mario and Link. If anyone should be in smash, it’s Steve, not some nobody RPG characters like Pyra/Mythra.

That’s absurd. Obviously they put a lot of work into it, but the put work into the wrong aspects. I don’t give people participation trophies. If their product is crap, I tell them that, even if they put a lot of care and effort into it. Most of the DLC characters have ranged from underwhelming to complete garbage, and therefore this fighters pass was a waste of time and money.

What is this take? Sephiroth is one of the most iconic characters of all time. You have to honestly be born yesterday to not know who he is. Even if you never played FF7, everyone has heard of Sephiroth and the most iconic gaming cutscene of all time. Pyra and Mythra are added because ever since Ultimate's development, Sakurai attempted to make Rex and Pyra a playable character. Even though Pyra and Mythra have one game, they are a legacy character due to association with Xenoblade and Xenosaga/gears. Same thing with Byleth. They are a legacy character because of FE's legacy regardless of how you feel of the character. Everyone minus Min-Min is a legacy character because they have left an impact to the gaming industry longer than most people here who are alive.

You do release you can not buy the DLC right? Why be so upset that an optional character is optional? Don't like? Don't buy and buy yourself a lunch with that money. You are not entitled to buy something just because it has Smash or Nintendo on the title.

Except I do. I get to decide what I think is wrong and what I think is right. You do to. If you think it’s bad, you can. Don’t like that I have a different opinion on what’s good and what’s bad? Suck it up, buttercup. I’m allowed to dislike things. I’m following the fighters pass because I don’t want, it to be a waste, obviously. The “lol just don’t buy it” argument is incredibly stupid because it doesn’t resolve the issue.

God complex much? Anyone who claims they know what is good and wrong for a game without having any merits of its developing (i.e. being a shareholder or a programmer for the game) is just upset that X character was added and not the niche character you wanted. You can dislike or don't care about DLC characters, everyone does. To say you know what's good and bad is clear you never developed or marketed for a game because guess what? You may think it's bad but clearly Nintendo thought it was good to choose all of these characters they released so far. They have their own analytics and decided it was best to release of these characters because it would sell and that's the whole point of a company, to make money.

no, but it’s a pretty damn good indicator of how iconic something is.

You do realize that Banjo and Kazooie games sold like actual trash in Japan right? Most JP people don't know about Banjo despite the west loving the games. From Wikipedia: As of March 2003, the game had sold more than 405,000 units in Japan. Needless to say, Earthbound didn't sell well at all yet Ness and Lucas are in the game. This point is so contradictive, there's no reason to utilize sales as an indicator of being iconic. Especially when there are currently video games that are free to download/play that are leaving an impact to the industry right now. So something like Friday Night Funkin' isn't iconic because it's a free game you can play on the internet right now? Yeeea, that's not how we factor if a game is iconic or not.

It was a waste of my money, but I’m not complaining that I wasted money. I perfectly understand that that it’s my fault I wasted the money, but i still wasted it. So what if I made up a rule set? It’s still my opinion on what i think makes for a good and bad character, based on what Sakurai and Nintendo themselves have said about the game. Don’t agree? Good for you. You don’t need to ***** about me having an opinion.

Kazuya and Sephiroth are iconic, sure, but nowhere near as iconic as a ton of other characters that could get in. Pretending I made up a rule specifically to have a reason to dislike them is stupid, since this reason literally only could apply once a good number of characters were announced anyway. Why is wanting a more spread out roster a bad thing? Why is thinking that we have too many new RPG newcomers a bad thing? You don’t have to agree with me, but I’m still allowed to have an opinion on the mater.

So I'm confused. If you are saying you are not complaining because you wasted money, then it wasn't bad. That's just facts. I still would like to know what makes a character "good" and what makes a character "bad". If could elaborate with a set of metrics, that would be appreciated.

If you are saying Kazuya and Sephiroth are "nowhere near as iconic as a ton of other characters that could get in", what are those specific characters you believe are more iconic that Kazuya and Sephiroth? I want to know who is that you believe deserves to be in Smash. Once again, these RPG characters have a legacy, they are far from new. SMT/Persona change protags all the time with the first SMT game out in 1992, and the first Persona game being out in 1996. Hero and Dragon Quest is another name you associated with RPGs so much so that Japan has a literal day named after Dragon Quest. And DQ has been a thing since 1986. Fire Emblem needs no intro for Nintendo fans, the franchise started way back since 1990. Byleth happens to also represent the classic weapons of sword, lance, axe, and bow with their kit. They just happened to be the latest protag, much like Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin at the time of their original inclusions. Final Fantasy is made by the same company that makes Dragon Quest so you know it's iconic since 1987. FF7 being the first FF not on Nintendo platforms changed gaming forever regardless if you love, hate, or never played the game at all. Last but certainly not least, Xenoblade has been around since 2011 however the first games started with Xenosaga back in 2002. Much like other RPGs mentioned above, most games switch protags. Pyra and Mythra just happened to be the newest set. By the way, Namco owns the rights to Xenosaga and since they are working on Smash, there was maybe a subtle influence to push Pyra and Mythra especially since Sakurai did tweet back in 2017 how much he loved XBC2 and again, originally designed Pyra and Mythra as Rex and Pyra but couldn't due to game limitations.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
When have I ever thrown a “fit” outside of byleth? Literally all of my discussions have been just talking about why I didn’t like them. Hell, I have prefaced each one of these with something along the lines of “meh.” The only reason why I have any sort of attitude is because you insist on acting like I’m an asshole for thinking differently.

Like I said, I will give you Byleth, I was incredibly pissed at that, and still am, mainly because of how it was downright insulting. But these other characters don’t make me dislike anyone any less.
it's your retreating on how bad the dlc is and ignoring the rationale to them, for instance you ignore the reasons for pyra's inclusion and just focused on how it doesn't fit your guidelines, when again, despite what nintendo or sakurai have said in the past, they're operating on their own terms

similar thing w/ min min too, even I was a bit underwhelmed but I came around to her

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
it's your retreating on how bad the dlc is and ignoring the rationale to them, for instance you ignore the reasons for pyra's inclusion and just focused on how it doesn't fit your guidelines, when again, despite what nintendo or sakurai have said in the past, they're operating on their own terms

similar thing w/ min min too, even I was a bit underwhelmed but I came around to her
And I’m not allowed to think those reasons are stupid?

Gonna start from the beginning because I'm missing something there. And there won't be any flaming. Criticizing ==/== attacking/flaming, let's get that out of the way now.

I'm going to say it, but just because a character doesn't appeal to you, doesn't make them bad.

And? I think it’s bad. So what. Not everyone else does, so good for them.

Tekken deserves to be included into Smash because Nintendo outsourced the game to Bandai Namco since 2013 with Smash 4 (3DS) and Smash 5 (Wii U) and also worked on Smash Ultimate. Another Namco rep was going to happen and Kazuya fits the bill, especially when you consider that the Tekken team is just down the aisle and you can transfer any and all resources with ease. You couldn't ask for a more efficient method of resource management than that during a pandemic.

You act as if there aren’t other Bandai Namco franchises that could’ve been added though. I’m not saying that Tekken is an absolutely garbage series that nobody likes, I’m saying that it’s a series in a genre that really didn’t need any more characters yet. I would’ve been fine with him in a later game, but we just got a ton of other characters.

What is this take? Sephiroth is one of the most iconic characters of all time. You have to honestly be born yesterday to not know who he is. Even if you never played FF7, everyone has heard of Sephiroth and the most iconic gaming cutscene of all time.

You are really making him sound like the Mikey Mouse of gaming, which he’s not. He’s definitely the most iconic FF villain, but to call him as iconic as you’re acting like he’s is a huge stretch.

Pyra and Mythra are added because ever since Ultimate's development, Sakurai attempted to make Rex and Pyra a playable character. Even though Pyra and Mythra have one game, they are a legacy character due to association with Xenoblade and Xenosaga/gears.

I don’t care what his reasoning behind adding Pyra/Mythra, I still think they’re bad additions since they’re from a relatively unknown franchise that already had a rep as is.

Same thing with Byleth. They are a legacy character because of FE's legacy regardless of how you feel of the character. Everyone minus Min-Min is a legacy character because they have left an impact to the gaming industry longer than most people here who are alive.
Byleth isn’t a legacy character. FE is a series that did incredibly poorly up until 2012, and even then it still had 7 characters. Hell, Famicom wars came first, and up until recently the “wars” series sold nearly as well, and was generally reviewed better than FE. If it weren’t for Melee, Fire Emblem would be nothing more than a footnote in gaming history.

You do release you can not buy the DLC right? Why be so upset that an optional character is optional? Don't like? Don't buy and buy yourself a lunch with that money. You are not entitled to buy something just because it has Smash or Nintendo on the title.

But I want to buy it. I want it to be a good character so I can play it. “Don’t buy it” is by far the dumbest argument anyone can make about this.

God complex much? Anyone who claims they know what is good and wrong for a game without having any merits of its developing (i.e. being a shareholder or a programmer for the game) is just upset that X character was added and not the niche character you wanted.
i never claimed that I knew what was good and bad for smash, at least not from a financial standpoint. I did say that I get to chose what I think is good and bad, and that everyone does. You’re pretending I’m trying to enforce something because you can’t handle the fact that not everyone likes your little Tekken character.

You do realize that Banjo and Kazooie games sold like actual trash in Japan right? Most JP people don't know about Banjo despite the west loving the games. From Wikipedia: As of March 2003, the game had sold more than 405,000 units in Japan. Needless to say, Earthbound didn't sell well at all yet Ness and Lucas are in the game. This point is so contradictive, there's no reason to utilize sales as an indicator of being iconic. Especially when there are currently video games that are free to download/play that are leaving an impact to the industry right now. So something like Friday Night Funkin' isn't iconic because it's a free game you can play on the internet right now? Yeeea, that's not how we factor if a game is iconic or not.
It’s almost as if there’s more than one way to make a game iconic. Like I said, sales are an indicator, that doesn’t mean they’re the final say. If you want proof that Steve is a more iconic character than Link, literally look anywhere on the internet that isn’t here.

So I'm confused. If you are saying you are not complaining because you wasted money, then it wasn't bad. That's just facts. I still would like to know what makes a character "good" and what makes a character "bad". If could elaborate with a set of metrics, that would be appreciated.
A good character must be (in my opinion, because apparently I need to specify that):

1.From a series that hasn’t had a rep (or at the very least hasn’t had a new rep in a very long time such as Zelda or Sonic)

2.From a series that’s iconic, has had a relatively large impact on the industry, and is still loved by many fans. It’s ok to have a handful of characters break this rule, but overall they need to be rather well known.

3.An important enough character in said series to reasonably be a good representation, though this rule is a little looser than the others.

4.From a series who’s genre isn’t well enough represented in both the newcomer and overall roster of the game.

5.From a video game.

Once again, you don’t have to agree, but I fail to see how this isn’t reasonable.

If you are saying Kazuya and Sephiroth are "nowhere near as iconic as a ton of other characters that could get in", what are those specific characters you believe are more iconic that Kazuya and Sephiroth? I want to know who is that you believe deserves to be in Smash.
I usually decide on a case by case basis, but there are a few other characters I think fit the bill better. A few characters that I don’t particularly care for but still think would be good additions are Master Chief, Doom Slayer, another Sonic rep, another Mega Man rep, Bill Rizer, etc. I don’t particularly want them but I still think they would be fitting because they are iconic, while being from genres that aren’t over saturated.

Once again, these RPG characters have a legacy, they are far from new. SMT/Persona change protags all the time with the first SMT game out in 1992, and the first Persona game being out in 1996. Hero and Dragon Quest is another name you associated with RPGs so much so that Japan has a literal day named after Dragon Quest. And DQ has been a thing since 1986. Fire Emblem needs no intro for Nintendo fans, the franchise started way back since 1990. Byleth happens to also represent the classic weapons of sword, lance, axe, and bow with their kit. They just happened to be the latest protag, much like Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin at the time of their original inclusions. Final Fantasy is made by the same company that makes Dragon Quest so you know it's iconic since 1987. FF7 being the first FF not on Nintendo platforms changed gaming forever regardless if you love, hate, or never played the game at all. Last but certainly not least, Xenoblade has been around since 2011 however the first games started with Xenosaga back in 2002. Much like other RPGs mentioned above, most games switch protags. Pyra and Mythra just happened to be the newest set. By the way, Namco owns the rights to Xenosaga and since they are working on Smash, there was maybe a subtle influence to push Pyra and Mythra especially since Sakurai did tweet back in 2017 how much he loved XBC2 and again, originally designed Pyra and Mythra as Rex and Pyra but couldn't due to game limitations.
I don’t have an issue with RPG characters ordinarily, which is why I think Joker and Hero were such amazing additions. I have a problem when a massive chunk of the newcomers have been from a single genre.

Fig

The Altruist

Calling something stupid because it doesn't fit your desires is what makes it subjective. Not to mention you just now lost the argument claiming you know what is "good and bad" for character picks because you are trying to bringing emotional and anecdotal evidence rather than accepting reality.

You act as if there aren’t other Bandai Namco franchises that could’ve been added though. I’m not saying that Tekken is an absolutely garbage series that nobody likes, I’m saying that it’s a series in a genre that really didn’t need any more characters yet. I would’ve been fine with him in a later game, but we just got a ton of other characters.

There isn't but you can't be serious if you are going to tell me that Sakurai, the game developer who loves fighting games who decided to make his own fighting game, wasn't going to pick to Tekken at one point. We saw that in the presentation today that The Lord basically spoke to Sakurai to add a Tekken character in Smash. It's obviously in jest but you can tell that he really wanted to do it. The other Namco games are either anime or niche titles like the Tales Of series. I'm sorry, you can love the Tales games, nothing wrong with them but if you yourself are using a metric to determine what's iconic, then you know if your heart, mind, and soul that anyone from Tekken is more recognizable to the entire gaming audience, not just Nintendo fans compared to something like the Tales Of or Ni No Kuni series.

You are really making him sound like the Mikey Mouse of gaming, which he’s not. He’s definitely the most iconic FF villain, but to call him as iconic as you’re acting like he’s is a huge stretch.

No, that's Mario. However, Sephiroth is still iconic to everyone regardless of your stance of him as a character. He's the anime swordsman and he has all the tropes of what makes "anime swordsmen/swordfighter" you see today since FF7, whether it's monologues, aesthetics, or power. The anime swordsman trope/meme started with him.

I don’t care what his reasoning behind adding Pyra/Mythra, I still think they’re bad additions since they’re from a relatively unknown franchise that already had a rep as is.

And that's why you are being subjective. You are failing to recognize how much of a struggle that Xenoblade had to go through. You weren't here in 2011, but there was a fan petition known as Operation Rainfall that was trying to get games such as The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, and Xenoblade Chronicles to be localized for the west. The fact that Shulk is even in this game is proof of acknowledgement from Sakurai himself that it's a great franchise and it is. There's so much history for the franchise, again it's not "relatively unknown" when it's been around since 2002.

Byleth isn’t a legacy character. FE is a series that did incredibly poorly up until 2012, and even then it still had 7 characters. Hell, Famicom wars came first, and up until recently the “wars” series sold nearly as well, and was generally reviewed better than FE. If it weren’t for Melee, Fire Emblem would be nothing more than a footnote in gaming history.

Byleth is a legacy character, again through association of Fire Emblem. If you are going to say that Banjo with 4 games (B&K1 and 2, Nuts and Bolts and the GBA port of B&K but I have inkling you don't want to remind yourself of Nuts and Bolts despite it selling over a million copies) is legacy, then Fire Emblem with 16 games is 4x the legacy. Same thing with Joker. He may have only had 2-4 games by the time he was announced/revealed for Smash, but Persona and SMT overall have a deep legacy that changed the RPG franchise because it was one of the first in the genre. If you don't understand, then take a look at my friend's video she made criticizing the issue of Nin10doland's video of "The Problem with Ultimate's DLC" which honestly sounds very similar to your stance at the moment. It's 2 hours long and if you don't feel like watching, that's why I'm here discussing this with you.

Fire Emblem changes its protags all the time like every other JRPG franchise. You also forget that even though Nintendo isn't creating the game, they still call the shouts. If they want to promote Three Houses, they can because it's their game. It happened with Ike for Brawl since Radiant Dawn just recently came out on the Wii. It happened with Lucina and Robin when Awakening was out for a year. They did it again with Corrin who was just about their EN release on February 2016. And they did it again for Byleth to close out the 2010 decade.

But I want to buy it. I want it to be a good character so I can play it. “Don’t buy it” is by far the dumbest argument anyone can make about this.

But if you want to buy it, swallow your own pride and accept it already. Plus we, and this is speaking in general, don't know if he is good. I already know based on options and what he can he's going to be good for me and anyone who loves Tekken/fighting games because that's what we want in the first place. You don't have to spend hours on the internet trying to justify your dissatisfaction with character choices. Most people simply go: "Who cares? Not buying."

i never claimed that I knew what was good and bad for smash, at least not from a financial standpoint. I did say that I get to chose what I think is good and bad, and that everyone does. You’re pretending I’m trying to enforce something because you can’t handle the fact that not everyone likes your little Tekken character.

Exactly, so that's why I'm asking what makes a "good" or "bad" character, which will be answered in a few quotes from now.

It’s almost as if there’s more than one way to make a game iconic.

Exactly.
Like I said, sales are an indicator, that doesn’t mean they’re the final say. If you want proof that Steve is a more iconic character than Link, literally look anywhere on the internet that isn’t here.

I never denied that Steve is more iconic character than Link, in fact I agree with this point. Minecraft is the most sold video game of all time. It has printed billions and now is owned by Microsoft. That's the greatest dream any indie developer can ever ask for. I will say this response in particular is moving the goalpost as it was so unnecessary because you're trying to deflect with a statement I didn't bring up in my original statement.

A good character must be (in my opinion, because apparently I need to specify that):

1.From a series that hasn’t had a rep (or at the very least hasn’t had a new rep in a very long time such as Zelda or Sonic)

2.From a series that’s iconic, has had a relatively large impact on the industry, and is still loved by many fans. It’s ok to have a handful of characters break this rule, but overall they need to be rather well known.

3.An important enough character in said series to reasonably be a good representation, though this rule is a little looser than the others.

4.From a series who’s genre isn’t well enough represented in both the newcomer and overall roster of the game.

5.From a video game.

Once again, you don’t have to agree, but I fail to see how this isn’t reasonable.
1. So then what about characters that are currently being represented right now? There's a lot of Nintendo fans who are unironically asking for Dr. Eggman and Waluigi. They are being represented by the Sonic and Mario franchises respectively. Most would argue their inclusion is a good thing and if that's the case, then they definitely count as good choices. In this case Kazuya fits the bill since he's the first Tekken rep.
2. So in that case, Sephiroth and Kazuya are both super iconic as their games have sold millions through the decades and Tekken is currently the best selling 3D fighting game of all time. What more could you ask for?
3. Again, this means that Sephiroth and Kazuya are important seeing that they are main villain and main character respectively within their franchises.
4. I'd argue because there's different styles of games within the RPG and fighting game genre, both still qualify with how vast the scope of RPGs and fighting games. If you say that Tekken is just like Street Fighter, you never touched a fighting game in your life except for Smash and maybe other platform fighters similar to Smash.
5. This should be the first rule.

I usually decide on a case by case basis, but there are a few other characters I think fit the bill better. A few characters that I don’t particularly care for but still think would be good additions are Master Chief, Doom Slayer, another Sonic rep, another Mega Man rep, Bill Rizer, etc. I don’t particularly want them but I still think they would be fitting because they are iconic, while being from genres that aren’t over saturated.

So here's the contradiction. You said it yourself in the last quote that for a character to be "good" they must :
You're already contradicting yourself since Mega Man was just added from the previous game and now you want a Mega Man rep (which I would be down for since I love Mega Man). This is why I'm so confused. You say one thing and that contradict yourself the next. It makes it inconsistent and muddies the water of what is it that you really want from the DLC. For me, I don't care who is in the game. Do they look cool doing their moves/combos and are they fun? If yes, then I'll try them out for much longer than the usual trial period of a day and that's it.

I don’t have an issue with RPG characters ordinarily, which is why I think Joker and Hero were such amazing additions. I have a problem when a massive chunk of the newcomers have been from a single genre.
If you are talking about newcomers then from the 23 out of 24 known right now, we have:
7/8 RPG characters (Chrom, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Byleth, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra*)
7 Platformer/Metroidvania characters (Daisy, Ridley, King. K Rool, Simon, Richter, Piranha Plant, Banjo & Kazooie)
4 Fighting game/arena fighter/sports characters (Min Min, Ken, Terry, Kazuya)
2 Nth-person shooter characters (Inkling, Dark Samus**)
1 Open-world sandbox character (Steve)
1 Life/social/education simulator (Isabelle)
* = 8 if you count Pyra and Mythra as separate which would equate to 23 characters out of 24. Otherwise it's 22 out of 23 if counting as 1 character.
** = I'm categorizing Dark Samus under Nth-person shooter because she debuted in the Metroid Prime series which is definitely more of a 1st person shooter than a Metroidvania. This is the same reason why Ridley is listed under a Metroidvania character due to have more appearances within the Metroidvania style games within the franchise.

By these numbers, in terms of newcomers, the batch is definitely healthy. At least you have 1/3rd of the newcomers being RPGs which isn't too bad and I think that's a fair balance given the rest of the genres portrayed. I fail to see what's to be upset about when the roster is clearly diverse enough to cater to a bunch of fandoms which is the point of Smash to begin with as more 3rd parties are added.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Finally got to watch the presentation. As expected, all those command inputs melted my brain and I don't think I would ever be able to utilize him to potential. Not that I was remotely interested in him, anyway. The love and effort Sakurai put into making him was abundantly clear, though, so I'm sure people who actually like Tekken will appreciate and enjoy him. Happy for those people.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Calling something stupid because it doesn't fit your desires is what makes it subjective. Not to mention you just now lost the argument claiming you know what is "good and bad" for character picks because you are trying to bringing emotional and anecdotal evidence rather than accepting reality.
Literally nothing I have said has been either emotional or anecdotal. I don’t know where you’re pulling out that argument from but it isn’t working.

There isn't but you can't be serious if you are going to tell me that Sakurai, the game developer who loves fighting games who decided to make his own fighting game, wasn't going to pick to Tekken at one point. We saw that in the presentation today that The Lord basically spoke to Sakurai to add a Tekken character in Smash. It's obviously in jest but you can tell that he really wanted to do it. The other Namco games are either anime or niche titles like the Tales Of series. I'm sorry, you can love the Tales games, nothing wrong with them but if you yourself are using a metric to determine what's iconic, then you know if your heart, mind, and soul that anyone from Tekken is more recognizable to the entire gaming audience, not just Nintendo fans compared to something like the Tales Of or Ni No Kuni series.
Actually I didn’t want a Tales rep, and I’m really happy that Lloyd was deconfirmed with a mii costume. Also I’m pretty sure Dark Souls is more iconic than Tekken.

No, that's Mario. However, Sephiroth is still iconic to everyone regardless of your stance of him as a character. He's the anime swordsman and he has all the tropes of what makes "anime swordsmen/swordfighter" you see today since FF7, whether it's monologues, aesthetics, or power. The anime swordsman trope/meme started with him.
No, Cloud is the anime swordsman, not sephiroth. Guess what? Cloud is already in the game. I’m not debating whether or not Sephiroth is iconic, he clearly is, but he’s not as iconic as you’re making him out to be. There are a ton of people that have never played an RPG in their life that love smash, and they don’t know who Sephiroth is. Like Kazuya, I think he’s a character that should’ve gotten in eventually, but he’s not so iconic that he’s as good of a pick as certain other characters.

And that's why you are being subjective. You are failing to recognize how much of a struggle that Xenoblade had to go through. You weren't here in 2011, but there was a fan petition known as Operation Rainfall that was trying to get games such as The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, and Xenoblade Chronicles to be localized for the west. The fact that Shulk is even in this game is proof of acknowledgement from Sakurai himself that it's a great franchise and it is. There's so much history for the franchise, again it's not "relatively unknown" when it's been around since 2002.
I know about Operation Rainfall, I wasn’t born yesterday. That doesn’t mean that Xenoblade is a super popular series though, at least not on the level you’re trying to say it is. I’d go as far as to say that it’s relatively obscure. Hell, even Operation Rainfalls website describes the games it tries to get localized as being “niche.” Even so, we already had a Xenoblade character. We didnt need another.

Byleth is a legacy character, again through association of Fire Emblem. If you are going to say that Banjo with 4 games (B&K1 and 2, Nuts and Bolts and the GBA port of B&K but I have inkling you don't want to remind yourself of Nuts and Bolts despite it selling over a million copies) is legacy, then Fire Emblem with 16 games is 4x the legacy. Same thing with Joker. He may have only had 2-4 games by the time he was announced/revealed for Smash, but Persona and SMT overall have a deep legacy that changed the RPG franchise because it was one of the first in the genre. If you don't understand, then take a look at my friend's video she made criticizing the issue of Nin10doland's video of "The Problem with Ultimate's DLC" which honestly sounds very similar to your stance at the moment. It's 2 hours long and if you don't feel like watching, that's why I'm here discussing this with you.

Id call Banjo and Kazooie legacy specifically because of Rare’s history with Nintendo. The amount of games has nothing to do with it. Fire Emblem, on the other hand, had close to no impact on the gaming front since, once again, Famicom Wars came out first and had generally more favorable reviews. Sure, Marth and Roy could be considered legacy, maybe even Ike. Not Byleth.

I actually like Jokers inclusion in smash, he’s a fun character from a neat franchise, though SMT is a lot less well known than you’re giving it credit for (Atlus games in general tend to suffer from being obscure). The franchise never became super popular until Persona 5, and even then was half as popular as it became once Joker was added to smash.

Fire Emblem changes its protags all the time like every other JRPG franchise.
Who the hell cares if it changes protagonists? That doesn’t mean they should add every FE character and their father into smash.

You also forget that even though Nintendo isn't creating the game, they still call the shouts. If they want to promote Three Houses, they can because it's their game. It happened with Ike for Brawl since Radiant Dawn just recently came out on the Wii. It happened with Lucina and Robin when Awakening was out for a year. They did it again with Corrin who was just about their EN release on February 2016. And they did it again for Byleth to close out the 2010 decade.
And this is a good thing? If anything this point just makes FEs inclusion more scummy than not if Nintendo is just doing it for the advertising. I don’t care how popular you think FE is, or doesn’t deserve more than a few characters, much less 8.

But if you want to buy it, swallow your own pride and accept it already. Plus we, and this is speaking in general, don't know if he is good. I already know based on options and what he can he's going to be good for me and anyone who loves Tekken/fighting games because that's what we want in the first place. You don't have to spend hours on the internet trying to justify your dissatisfaction with character choices. Most people simply go: "Who cares? Not buying."
Believe me, if I had the option to unbuy I would, but once again, that doesn’t fix the issue. The issue is that I want the characters to be good so I can have a reason to buy it, because I want to have a reason to buy it. Just pretending the characters I dislike don’t exist doesn’t fix anything, and even if I didn’t buy them, I still would be voicing my complaints just as much.

Exactly, so that's why I'm asking what makes a "good" or "bad" character, which will be answered in a few quotes from now.

Exactly.

I never denied that Steve is more iconic character than Link, in fact I agree with this point. Minecraft is the most sold video game of all time. It has printed billions and now is owned by Microsoft. That's the greatest dream any indie developer can ever ask for. I will say this response in particular is moving the goalpost as it was so unnecessary because you're trying to deflect with a statement I didn't bring up in my original statement.

I wouldn’t call this moving the goalpost, as I didn’t realize the point you were trying to make. I believe we’re overall on the same page here though so im not sure why we’re arguing this point.

1. So then what about characters that are currently being represented right now? There's a lot of Nintendo fans who are unironically asking for Dr. Eggman and Waluigi. They are being represented by the Sonic and Mario franchises respectively. Most would argue their inclusion is a good thing and if that's the case, then they definitely count as good choices. In this case Kazuya fits the bill since he's the first Tekken rep.
Dr.Eggman would be great because we haven’t had a Sonic rep since brawl, which is something I said in that first point. Waluigi wouldn’t be a good pick because of different reasons, but if Daisy hadn’t already been added I wouldn’t apply this point.

2. So in that case, Sephiroth and Kazuya are both super iconic as their games have sold millions through the decades and Tekken is currently the best selling 3D fighting game of all time. What more could you ask for?
I never said that they didn’t meet this point, even if they aren’t as iconic as you give them credit for, they are still iconic enough to eventually be in smash, keyword being eventually.

3. Again, this means that Sephiroth and Kazuya are important seeing that they are main villain and main character respectively within their franchises.
once again, this isn’t the point against those 2, they more than meet this standard, though I think a different FF protagonist would be a better pick just to have a different FF game represented.

4. I'd argue because there's different styles of games within the RPG and fighting game genre, both still qualify with how vast the scope of RPGs and fighting games. If you say that Tekken is just like Street Fighter, you never touched a fighting game in your life except for Smash and maybe other platform fighters similar to Smash.
I’m not saying that they’re the same game or that they’re just like one another, that’s ridiculous. But they’re still of the same general genre. if someone doesn’t like RPGs they’re just as likely to not like FF as they are Pokémon or FE.

So here's the contradiction. You said it yourself in the last quote that for a character to be "good" they must :

You're already contradicting yourself since Mega Man was just added from the previous game and now you want a Mega Man rep (which I would be down for since I love Mega Man). This is why I'm so confused. You say one thing and that contradict yourself the next. It makes it inconsistent and muddies the water of what is it that you really want from the DLC.
I haven’t contradicted anything Mega Man was the 2nd character revealed for Smash 4, this was nearly a decade ago. I think that’s enough time to have a new rep. Cloud, on the other hand, was one of the last characters revealed in smash 4, only about 4-5 years prior to Sephiroth.

7 Platformer/Metroidvania characters (Daisy, Ridley, King. K Rool, Simon, Richter, Piranha Plant, Banjo & Kazooie)
ok, but platformer and Metroidvania are 2 separate genres, with platformer having 4-5 characters (K.Rool, Banjo and Kazooie, Piranha Plant, Simon, and maybe daisy even though she appeared at the end of a single platformer on the game boy and at this point is much more well known as a “Party Princess” than an actual platformer character), and Metroidvania having 3 (Ridley, Dark Samus, Richter).

** = I'm categorizing Dark Samus under Nth-person shooter because she debuted in the Metroid Prime series which is definitely more of a 1st person shooter than a Metroidvania. This is the same reason why Ridley is listed under a Metroidvania character due to have more appearances within the Metroidvania style games within the franchise.
No, Dark Samus is definitely a Metroidvania character. The Prime trilogy are absolutely Metroidvanias, especially the first 2. Of course they’re FPSs too, so I’d put her in both, but yes it’s a Metroidvania character.

By these numbers, in terms of newcomers, the batch is definitely healthy. At least you have 1/3rd of the newcomers being RPGs which isn't too bad and I think that's a fair balance given the rest of the genres portrayed.
I definitely wouldn’t call 1/3 of the characters being RPG reps “healthy.” It should certainly be one of the bigger genres, but 1/3 is way too many.

I fail to see what's to be upset about when the roster is clearly diverse enough to cater to a bunch of fandoms which is the point of Smash to begin with as more 3rd parties are added.
you say that, yet 4 of the last 6 characters have been from franchises that already had representation.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
it is what it is dude, it just seems at a certain point you either accept the reality and temper expectations, or risk being more frustrated than necessary b/c you know for a fact nintendo is following a different model than you, b/c otherwise we would have seen more characters than fit your bill, can't change what was decided probably years ago

Fig

The Altruist
Literally nothing I have said has been either emotional or anecdotal. I don’t know where you’re pulling out that argument from but it isn’t working.
This is referring to how once again, you are calling something stupid just because it doesn't fit your desires. That's what makes it at the very least emotional because it's not because on objectivity. It's anecdotal because you are only considering your own thoughts and logic in comparison to considering the vast majority on the topic.

Actually I didn’t want a Tales rep, and I’m really happy that Lloyd was deconfirmed with a mii costume. Also I’m pretty sure Dark Souls is more iconic than Tekken.

Again, you're trying to move the goalpost by bringing up another discussion that wasn't part of the original discussion. Who cares about if Dark Souls is more iconic than Tekken? That can be a topic for a different discussion if that was the main point. I will say at the very least if you really want to play this game, then I can still say that Tekken still has more a legacy than Dark Souls as it's been around since the '90s while Dark Souls and the franchise gained notoriety starting in 2009 with Demon's Souls.

No, Cloud is the anime swordsman, not sephiroth. Guess what? Cloud is already in the game. I’m not debating whether or not Sephiroth is iconic, he clearly is, but he’s not as iconic as you’re making him out to be. There are a ton of people that have never played an RPG in their life that love smash, and they don’t know who Sephiroth is. Like Kazuya, I think he’s a character that should’ve gotten in eventually, but he’s not so iconic that he’s as good of a pick as certain other characters.

This paragraph tells me that you don't branch out from Nintendo games if you are going to insist that Sephiroth isn't as iconic. You do realize that Sephiroth has been evolving as a character with each new game he appears in right? Again, there's a reason why anime characters tend to be more like Sephiroth than Cloud. If you are saying Cloud is more of an anime swordsman than Sephiroth, then can you care to explain the lack of protagonists dealing with mental health? Because if you haven't played FF7, I'm here to tell you that mental health is the whole point of Cloud's character as you play throughout the game. It's why Cloud is iconic as a protag because not even Square has designed a complex protagonist like Cloud. Anyone can say a monologue or seek power/godhood. That's why people follow that path. Take a look at Vergil from Devil May Cry. You can't tell me he wasn't inspired by Sephiroth more than Cloud.

Again, you are living in a bubble if you are claiming that people don't know who Sephiroth is. Maybe if they are under the age of 10 and haven't touched a video game in their life sure. But if you have been around video games from 1997 til now, then you have at one point seen or heard of Sephiroth.

I know about Operation Rainfall, I wasn’t born yesterday. That doesn’t mean that Xenoblade is a super popular series though, at least not on the level you’re trying to say it is. I’d go as far as to say that it’s relatively obscure. Hell, even Operation Rainfalls website describes the games it tries to get localized as being “niche.” Even so, we already had a Xenoblade character. We didnt need another.

If we are going by your metrics then care to explain how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has surpassed 2 million sales and XBC Definitive Edition reaching 1.48 million sales? That's quite popular if you ask me and go by your sales metrics. Again, whether you like it or not, another Xenoblade rep was going to be added to the game either at base roster or as DLC as Sakurai has stated he was working on Rex and Pyra before switching gears to Pyra and Mythra due to technical limitations with the driver system they were seeking to implement into Smash. So Xenoblade was practically guaranteed. Just accept it and move on.

Id call Banjo and Kazooie legacy specifically because of Rare’s history with Nintendo. The amount of games has nothing to do with it. Fire Emblem, on the other hand, had close to no impact on the gaming front since, once again, Famicom Wars came out first and had generally more favorable reviews. Sure, Marth and Roy could be considered legacy, maybe even Ike. Not Byleth.

Then you don't know the definition of legacy. You are going to tell me you are going to ignore 30 years of the cultivation of the strategy rpg, of which very few are still designed to this day, and not call it a legacy? Please do research and review the history of the industry before brewing misinformation that then festers within fandom.

I actually like Jokers inclusion in smash, he’s a fun character from a neat franchise, though SMT is a lot less well known than you’re giving it credit for (Atlus games in general tend to suffer from being obscure). The franchise never became super popular until Persona 5, and even then was half as popular as it became once Joker was added to smash.

Once again, please do research before you say something that's misleading. You can't say Persona and by extension SMT were never popular when they always were. Read this article made in 2018 showing the sales of Persona and SMT and lo and behold, SMT has more sales than Persona. In fact, SMT and Persona are effectively the same franchise. It started with SMT and eventually SMT: Persona was made. The moniker of SMT in the Persona games just quietly dropped over time so that you didn't have to always say SMT: Persona X. If you are going to say that Persona got more popular because of Smash, you are mistaken. You want to know why SMT and Persona games are popular? Because their narratives really make you ponder what they are trying to tell the player. In SMT4's case, the narrative theme is about hope, dependency, and the will of humanity. Meanwhile the narrative of Persona 5 is to not be put down by society of what you can and can't do. That's why Persona 5 was also controversial at release because Japan is very much quid pro quo in its societal structure. It's easier to accept reality and to just live life based on your circumstance than to question or challenge the status quo in Japan which is why there were articles written how Persona 5 was bringing up the politics of Japan to the forefront which concern Japanese folk at the time and still do depending who you ask.
Who the hell cares if it changes protagonists? That doesn’t mean they should add every FE character and their father into smash.

This is to explain why specifically Joker and Byleth were picked because they were latest characters of their franchises at the time. As much as I would have preferred an SMT rep, Joker being picked made sense because at that time, the legacy of SMT and Persona culminated in Persona 5 at the time and thus why it exploded in its sales because of the years of effort that Atlus had to put in to reach their current point. That's why we saw Persona 4 Golden be released on PC, a first for Atlus at the time and eventually releasing SMT3: Nocturne on PC as well. Of course, SMT5 is on its way this fall.

Same thing with Byleth. For 30 years, Fire Emblem has innovated and developed its craft to be at its current point right now. It could have ended a long time ago but both the devs and the fans continued to support the game and now is why we have Byleth in the game.

And this is a good thing? If anything this point just makes FEs inclusion more scummy than not if Nintendo is just doing it for the advertising. I don’t care how popular you think FE is, or doesn’t deserve more than a few characters, much less 8.
Well...it's Nintendo's game, not yours. They can advertise their games all they want. In fact, that's kinda the point they have been doing for years if you have not released it. That's the whole point of a business, to market and advertise your product to as many people possible to get the most amount of profit. Even going back to Melee, characters such as Marth, Roy, Pichu, and Mewtwo were deliberatively picked because of either Sakurai's interest with FE or because of sheer popularity in Mewtwo's case. While Pichu is indeed a clone, he's still advertising Gold and Silver because Gen 2 just came out.

Believe me, if I had the option to unbuy I would, but once again, that doesn’t fix the issue. The issue is that I want the characters to be good so I can have a reason to buy it, because I want to have a reason to buy it. Just pretending the characters I dislike don’t exist doesn’t fix anything, and even if I didn’t buy them, I still would be voicing my complaints just as much.
But that's the thing, you yourself can't determine a character is "good" or "bad" until you tried them out. That's the whole point of a trailer to make them look cool and do cool things to garner interest. Sakurai himself said to only purchase the season pass if you feel confident with not knowing the characters until their eventual release. That's why it's important to either wait until you have more information on who is going to be in the season pass or just buy them individual after you find out. Consider this a lesson in impulse buying because that is unfortunately a lot of people have in today's age. The reason why I purchased both season passes is because I have faith in Sakurai's quality himself. I personally don't care for Min Min or Steve but you will never hear me say they are "bad" choices.

Dr.Eggman would be great because we haven’t had a Sonic rep since brawl, which is something I said in that first point. Waluigi wouldn’t be a good pick because of different reasons, but if Daisy hadn’t already been added I wouldn’t apply this point.

Even if I personally don't want Waluigi as the final character, he actually is a still good choice only because just like Ridley and King K. Rool, it would be a meme becoming a dream after being tormented for years. Which is why there are people who want Waluigi as the final character.

once again, this isn’t the point against those 2, they more than meet this standard, though I think a different FF protagonist would be a better pick just to have a different FF game represented.
I can understand wanting more FF reps. I wouldn't mind that but at the same time personally, I prefer FF7 so I'm fine with Sephiroth over someone like Squall or Tidus.

I’m not saying that they’re the same game or that they’re just like one another, that’s ridiculous. But they’re still of the same general genre. if someone doesn’t like RPGs they’re just as likely to not like FF as they are Pokémon or FE.
Even so, they are still enough differences for someone to dip their hands into one sub-section and not the full genre. In fact that's what you are doing right now with Smash as Smash is it's own sub-genre of fighting games without necessarily being a full on traditional fighting game but that's why they are including Terry and Kazuya because Sakurai loves fighting games himself.

I haven’t contradicted anything Mega Man was the 2nd character revealed for Smash 4, this was nearly a decade ago. I think that’s enough time to have a new rep. Cloud, on the other hand, was one of the last characters revealed in smash 4, only about 4-5 years prior to Sephiroth.
You're missing you're own point then. I see no difference between 8 years since the first Mega Man rep and 5 years since the first Final Fantasy rep. Are you going to say that you need to wait 6-7 years just for a 2nd rep to be "justified"? No one thinks like that, because it's way too much of a slippery slope to even discuss.

ok, but platformer and Metroidvania are 2 separate genres, with platformer having 4-5 characters (K.Rool, Banjo and Kazooie, Piranha Plant, Simon, and maybe daisy even though she appeared at the end of a single platformer on the game boy and at this point is much more well known as a “Party Princess” than an actual platformer character), and Metroidvania having 3 (Ridley, Dark Samus, Richter).
Only reason why I clumped platformer and Metroidvania is because even in Metroidvanias are you are still doing bits of platforming and Metroidvanias are essentially a sub-category of the platformer genre. Similar to how fighting games are a sub-genre of the beat 'em up genre. That's why I clumped Min Min with the FGC because while ARMS is a fighting game, it's not a traditional one and probably falls under an arena fighter before a fighting game.

I definitely wouldn’t call 1/3 of the characters being RPG reps “healthy.” It should certainly be one of the bigger genres, but 1/3 is way too many.
For me, as long as it's not 50% then we can say representation is fairly distributed well.

you say that, yet 4 of the last 6 characters have been from franchises that already had representation.
You mean 3 out of the last 6 characters have had previous representation. The last 6 added were Byleth, Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra, and Kazuya in that order. Min Min, Steve, and Kazuya are the first ARMS, Minecraft, and Tekken characters. Trying to inflate numbers to prove a point is misleading.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
If you are saying Cloud is more of an anime swordsman than Sephiroth, then can you care to explain the lack of protagonists dealing with mental health? Because if you haven't played FF7, I'm here to tell you that mental health is the whole point of Cloud's character as you play throughout the game. It's why Cloud is iconic as a protag because not even Square has designed a complex protagonist like Cloud.
just want to interject real quick, concepts of diving into the main characters subconscious were pulled from Fei Fong Long from xenogears, since that game was the original pitch for FF7 before it became it's own thing
not related to your overall point though, just wanted to give Fei a little credit since he goes through a similar arch

Reactions: Fig

thePlinko

ZD Legend
This is referring to how once again, you are calling something stupid just because it doesn't fit your desires. That's what makes it at the very least emotional because it's not because on objectivity. It's anecdotal because you are only considering your own thoughts and logic in comparison to considering the vast majority on the topic.
Calling something bad because it objectively doesn’t align with the standards I think are appropriate is not an emotional argument. Anecdotal maybe, but not emotional. Even then, saying I don’t consider other people’s opinions is stupid. If it were just my opinions I’d say that there’d be barely any RPGs period because they suck. I’m not saying that. Pretending this is a completely emotional or anecdotal as opposed to objective is simply incorrect.

This paragraph tells me that you don't branch out from Nintendo games if you are going to insist that Sephiroth isn't as iconic. You do realize that Sephiroth has been evolving as a character with each new game he appears in right? Again, there's a reason why anime characters tend to be more like Sephiroth than Cloud. If you are saying Cloud is more of an anime swordsman than Sephiroth, then can you care to explain the lack of protagonists dealing with mental health? Because if you haven't played FF7, I'm here to tell you that mental health is the whole point of Cloud's character as you play throughout the game. It's why Cloud is iconic as a protag because not even Square has designed a complex protagonist like Cloud. Anyone can say a monologue or seek power/godhood. That's why people follow that path. Take a look at Vergil from Devil May Cry. You can't tell me he wasn't inspired by Sephiroth more than Cloud.
I know exactly what Clouds personal story is, but that’s irrelevant, because that’s not my point. Cloud is the anime swordsman in the sense that his overall design and abilities are a better representation of what anime swordsmen are than Sephiroth.
Again, you're trying to move the goalpost by bringing up another discussion that wasn't part of the original discussion. Who cares about if Dark Souls is more iconic than Tekken? That can be a topic for a different discussion if that was the main point. I will say at the very least if you really want to play this game, then I can still say that Tekken still has more a legacy than Dark Souls as it's been around since the '90s while Dark Souls and the franchise gained notoriety starting in 2009 with Demon's Souls.
You apparently don’t know what “moving the goalposts” means, seeing as how you keep on insisting that i am when I am clearly not. Your original argument is that Bandai Namco needed another character, and my argument is that said character didn’t need to be from a genre that already had ample representation. “Moving the goalpost” would be if I said “what if they already had 2 characters, would they still need another rep?”

Again, you are living in a bubble if you are claiming that people don't know who Sephiroth is. Maybe if they are under the age of 10 and haven't touched a video game in their life sure. But if you have been around video games from 1997 til now, then you have at one point seen or heard of Sephiroth.
Ok, so apparently you don’t have a very broad knowledge of the general gaming market outside of your own personal interests, so let me spell it out for you.

if you were to ask 10 video game fans who don’t generally play RPGs who sephiroth is, about 9 of them wouldn’t be able to tell you. It’s be the same thing if you asked 10 non-fighting game fans who kazuya was (though you might get slightly better results with Heihachi). The fact of the matter is that RPGs are a very divisive genre, so not everyone is going to care enough about FF to know exactly who youreJust because you know who he is doesn’t mean everybody does. like I said, Sephiroth is iconic in his own right, at least more so than a ton of the other characters in smash, but he’s far from one of the most iconic characters in gaming, and I wouldn’t even really put him in the top 50.

If we are going by your metrics then care to explain how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has surpassed 2 million sales and XBC Definitive Edition reaching 1.48 million sales? That's quite popular if you ask me and go by your sales metrics. Again, whether you like it or not, another Xenoblade rep was going to be added to the game either at base roster or as DLC as Sakurai has stated he was working on Rex and Pyra before switching gears to Pyra and Mythra due to technical limitations with the driver system they were seeking to implement into Smash. So Xenoblade was practically guaranteed. Just accept it and move on.

2 million really isn’t a whole lot in this day and age. It’s good, sure, but compared to most AAA titles it’s a drop in the bucket, especially when you consider that it’s numbers were inflated just by virtue of being on one of the best selling consoles of all time. For reference, splatoon sold 5 million, despite being a new IP on the Wii U. By all accounts, if Xenoblade was anywhere near as popular an IP, it would’ve sold much, much more than that. Like I said, 2 million isn’t bad, but it’s certainly not enough to justify 2 whole characters.

Then you don't know the definition of legacy. You are going to tell me you are going to ignore 30 years of the cultivation of the strategy rpg, of which very few are still designed to this day, and not call it a legacy? Please do research and review the history of the industry before brewing misinformation that then festers within fandom.
Because FE isnt the cultivation of the strategy RPG, advance wars would be if Nintendo decided to support it as much as they did FE. Even if it weren’t, I’d still say something like XCOM is an overall more popular franchise. Pretending I don’t know what I’m talking about isn’t going to help you win an argument when you seem to know even less.

Even if FE were as popular as you say it is, it still doesn’t deserve 8 separate characters.

Once again, please do research before you say something that's misleading. You can't say Persona and by extension SMT were never popular when they always were. Read this article made in 2018 showing the sales of Persona and SMT and lo and behold, SMT has more sales than Persona. In fact, SMT and Persona are effectively the same franchise. It started with SMT and eventually SMT: Persona was made. The moniker of SMT in the Persona games just quietly dropped over time so that you didn't have to always say SMT: Persona X. If you are going to say that Persona got more popular because of Smash, you are mistaken. You want to know why SMT and Persona games are popular? Because their narratives really make you ponder what they are trying to tell the player. In SMT4's case, the narrative theme is about hope, dependency, and the will of humanity. Meanwhile the narrative of Persona 5 is to not be put down by society of what you can and can't do. That's why Persona 5 was also controversial at release because Japan is very much quid pro quo in its societal structure. It's easier to accept reality and to just live life based on your circumstance than to question or challenge the status quo in Japan which is why there were articles written how Persona 5 was bringing up the politics of Japan to the forefront which concern Japanese folk at the time and still do depending who you ask.

SMT 4 literally sold about 600k copies. For a franchise that has been running as long as SMT, that’s pretty low. Now either that can be attributed to the game being bad, which I don’t believe it is, or the game being obscure.

Likewise, Persona 4 sold about 700k before it was ported to steam.

Persona 5 was the first time the series really did well at all, selling about 2 million before joker was announced for smash. Even still, I’d call that rather obscure at the time.

please do your research before you pretend a game is more popular than it actually is next time.

Same thing with Byleth. For 30 years, Fire Emblem has innovated and developed its craft to be at its current point right now. It could have ended a long time ago but both the devs and the fans continued to support the game and now is why we have Byleth in the game.
I don’t care where FE is right now, Byleth has no reason to be in the game, especially since the FE fan base is so small compared to series like Zelda, which has less characters despite being nearly as old and far more impactful. Literally the only reason people even knew FE existed until 2012 was Smash.

Well...it's Nintendo's game, not yours. They can advertise their games all they want. In fact, that's kinda the point they have been doing for years if you have not released it. That's the whole point of a business, to market and advertise your product to as many people possible to get the most amount of profit. Even going back to Melee, characters such as Marth, Roy, Pichu, and Mewtwo were deliberatively picked because of either Sakurai's interest with FE or because of sheer popularity in Mewtwo's case. While Pichu is indeed a clone, he's still advertising Gold and Silver because Gen 2 just came out.
And that is a good thing? I’m sorry, but I’d rather have characters people actually want then characters that exist purely as a cash grab.

But that's the thing, you yourself can't determine a character is "good" or "bad" until you tried them out. That's the whole point of a trailer to make them look cool and do cool things to garner interest. Sakurai himself said to only purchase the season pass if you feel confident with not knowing the characters until their eventual release. That's why it's important to either wait until you have more information on who is going to be in the season pass or just buy them individual after you find out. Consider this a lesson in impulse buying because that is unfortunately a lot of people have in today's age. The reason why I purchased both season passes is because I have faith in Sakurai's quality himself. I personally don't care for Min Min or Steve but you will never hear me say they are "bad" choices.
Except I can decide if a character is good or bad. Even if I didn’t buy the pass I would still hold the same opinion on the characters that I do now. I’m allowed to have my own opinion on weather I think each character is a good fit or not.

Even if I personally don't want Waluigi as the final character, he actually is a still good choice only because just like Ridley and King K. Rool, it would be a meme becoming a dream after being tormented for years. Which is why there are people who want Waluigi as the final character.
I don’t decide if I think a character is good or not based on memes, though. I think Ridley and K.Rool were good picks because they are the main villains of some of the most influential franchises of their genre, which hadn’t had new characters since Brawl. As much as I love waluigi as a character, he simply hasn’t had enough of an influence in the industry or even his own series to truly be a good pick. I’d wait until he got a major role in another game first, like Wario Land or something.

I can understand wanting more FF reps. I wouldn't mind that but at the same time personally, I prefer FF7 so I'm fine with Sephiroth over someone like Squall or Tidus.
But you’re not the only FF fan, are you? There are people who can’t stand FF7 but love FF6. Why not have a wider variety to make more people happy?

Even so, they are still enough differences for someone to dip their hands into one sub-section and not the full genre. In fact that's what you are doing right now with Smash as Smash is it's own sub-genre of fighting games without necessarily being a full on traditional fighting game but that's why they are including Terry and Kazuya because Sakurai loves fighting games himself.
That doesn’t matter when there are entire major genres of gaming that have been left almost completely untouched by either the newcomer or veteran roster. Just because there are a ton of different types of RPGs doesn’t mean that there needs to be a ton of RPG characters.

You're missing you're own point then. I see no difference between 8 years since the first Mega Man rep and 5 years since the first Final Fantasy rep. Are you going to say that you need to wait 6-7 years just for a 2nd rep to be "justified"? No one thinks like that, because it's way too much of a slippery slope to even discuss.
You apparently don’t know what slippery slop means either. So that’s 2 logical fallacies that you’ve butchered. Next your gonna tell me that saying “water is wet” is a strawman.

8 years for a new rep is more than justified. That’s a 4 year difference between Mega Man and Cloud. That’s a pretty big difference. Or what about a new Zelda character? We haven’t had one since Melee (Toon Link doesn’t count). That’s 20 years. I don’t see how saying we didn’t need another FF rep so soon when there are so many other series that haven’t had one in recent memory is so ridiculous of a thought process.

Only reason why I clumped platformer and Metroidvania is because even in Metroidvanias are you are still doing bits of platforming and Metroidvanias are essentially a sub-category of the platformer genre. Similar to how fighting games are a sub-genre of the beat 'em up genre. That's why I clumped Min Min with the FGC because while ARMS is a fighting game, it's not a traditional one and probably falls under an arena fighter before a fighting game.

“Metroidvania” refers to the overal structure and style of progression of the game, not the level design and control. That’s why Metroid Prime is still considered a Metroidvania, but Metroid Prime Federation Force isn’t. That being said, a lot of Metroidvanias have elements of a platformer in them, so I understand why you’d lump them in together, I just wouldnt.

For me, as long as it's not 50% then we can say representation is fairly distributed well.

I guess we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree because I think having a third of all characters being from one genre is way too many, at least in ultimate.

You mean 3 out of the last 6 characters have had previous representation. The last 6 added were Byleth, Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra, and Kazuya in that order. Min Min, Steve, and Kazuya are the first ARMS, Minecraft, and Tekken characters. Trying to inflate numbers to prove a point is misleading.

I didn’t inflate numbers. ARMS had multiple spirits, Mii costumes, and an assist trophy prior to Min Mins inclusion. I don’t know if you chose to ignore them or just forgot about them, but they’re there. It’s understandable to not include them, but seeing as how your previous argument was so that smash could cater to different fandoms, I’d include that.

• Ugh

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
As much as there is a good discussion to be had on the topic at hand, which characters do or do not belong in Smash is beyond the scope of this thread, tbh. So, kindly resume discussing the subject of the thread or move on entirely, please.
thank you

Anyway, has anyone tested out Kazuya yet? How good is he?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom