• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Hyrule Warriors is Average at Best.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
To both Heroine's, I'm not judging it as a Zelda game. I'm simply saying that different genres have different standards and if HW isn't an adventure game, it should meet the standards of other games in the genre. The visuals are lacking. The strategy is lacking. The multiplayer is lacking. And the game doesn't really do anything unique either.
The problem with what you state is that HW is nothing more than Dynasty Warriors with Zelda skins slapped on. DW has never been about good strategy (except which routes to take and for how long); DW has never been about frame rate or visuals; DW certainly has never been about multiplayer. Objectively, HW fails pretty badly at all categories that could possibly affect a game's score. It's a real 2/10 IF that. But the creators never intended it to be a "good" game or a "legendary" game. It's simply DW cross Zelda. And it does what it intended to do quite well..

The problem with what you state is that HW is nothing more than Dynasty Warriors with Zelda skins slapped on. DW has never been about good strategy (except which routes to take and for how long); DW has never been about frame rate or visuals; DW certainly has never been about multiplayer. Objectively, HW fails pretty badly at all categories that could possibly affect a game's score. It's a real 2/10 IF that. But the creators never intended it to be a "good" game or a "legendary" game. It's simply DW cross Zelda. And it does what it intended to do quite well..
Hyrule Warriors is a very good game. Not best ever but it's very good and does many things well. I give the game 8/10.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hyrule Warriors is a very good game. Not best ever but it's very good and does many things well. I give the game 8/10.

I disagree. It isn't that good of a game. But the thing is that it doesn't try to be. It's trying to be Dynasty Warriors which it pulls off very well.

I didn't pick up the game at launch, almost specifically for the reasons you mentioned. I had previously bought Dynasty Warriors 7 for the PS3 for about $10 from a Gamestop, and I wasn't impressed at all. The game was rather bland, repetitive, and lacked any sort of element that made me want to take it out of its case again and play it more. I think I played two maps on it before I completely lost interest, and later returned it to Gamestop for a small bit of in-store credit. It's for this reason, on top of wanting to save my money for both versions of Smash Bros 4, that I didn't get the game until Christmas as a present.

I was blown away by how much more I loved it. I don't know if it was purely the Zelda aesthetic, but the way the game is structured seemed so much more intuitive that a main-series DW game. I immediately understood the upgrade system and gameplay elements, just as I could easily identify all of the game's elements when it came to bosses, playable characters, and other things such as the Gold Skulltula's and the adventure board. I found myself hooked on the way the game was structured, as it was very Fire Emblem-esque to me in the way that you "control" many units on a large battlefield with strategic points and goals to accomplish (Fire Emblem is among my most favorite game series, easily being in the top five). I also found the fact that the playable character roster is much smaller than a core DW game attractive, as I wasn't overwhelmed with fighting styles and multiple upgrade trees that were so convoluted that I deemed it not worth while to even attempt to fill them in.

It doesn't hurt that the game is a huge nostalgia trip for people that love OoT and TP. In an era where I find myself disliking the 3D style of Zelda games more and more, it was nice to have all the fanservice to the games I remember loving so much as a kid.

I've been playing it nearly nonstop since Christmas, and even if my interest does wane in the coming days, I can honestly say that I think Hyrule Warriors is a good game. If I had to rank it, I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. Perhaps button mashing isn't as mundane to me as it would be to other players, but I think this is an excellent game for any Wii U collection.

Mido

Version 1
I've kept tabs on this thread on and off for a while, but since I did not have the game yet, I never saw it fit to offer a few cents. However, now that I've played it, I will say one thing: Hyrule Warriors expanded ever so slightly on the Warriors formula and made it better in my eyes. I may have complained about the smaller roster beforehand, but the game's mechanics canceled out my complaints. First, Hyrule Warriors cleans up the combos and offers targeting, which makes battles a tad more personal. Also, the jewel-marked outposts add more to the soldier mechanic, which as of late, has become quite obsolete in Dynasty Warriors. The boss fights added some complication to the formula as bosses required a tad more strategy. Overall, the gameplay was much cleaner than usual. The only complaint that I have about the game is that fellow officers seem to get routed so easily, even compared to another Warriors series like DW and SW. I found myself getting angry with Agitha and Impa for not holding their ground countless times! :lol: Nonetheless, I really appreciated the hack and slash formula being cleaned up and refined in the game.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the solid story. While I love Dynasty's story, after a while, it becomes very humdrum. Hyrule Warriors, as a separate entity, offered something a bit different for me. The story was very much like a Zelda game, and I immersed myself into it through and through. I have no complaints about the story! Indeed, while Hyrule Warriors is not a breakthrough in gaming, it provides a modest experience that proves to be a good time and a half! :yes:

Ver-go-a-go-go said:
I had previously bought Dynasty Warriors 7 for the PS3 for about $10 from a Gamestop, and I wasn't impressed at all. The game was rather bland, repetitive, and lacked any sort of element that made me want to take it out of its case again and play it more. I think I played two maps on it before I completely lost interest, and later returned it to Gamestop for a small bit of in-store credit.

Ouch. DW7 was one of the biggest letdowns for me when I borrowed it from a friend a few years back! While I enjoyed the large roster being a longtime fan, I absolutely loathed the story's linear approach that time around, while it also offered a bland multiplayer mode. DW7 ranks among the worst of the series in my eyes! :xd: Anyhow, outside my little tangent here, I think that your post takes the cake in terms of how I felt about the game as well!

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Revisiting this thread, I still feel the same. Not even paying attention to the new DLC's. It's some new content for dedicated Zelda fans. But to me, having the motifs of Zelda isn't enough to be a good game. With the limited time I have, I'd rather play new exciting innovative games than average ones.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I've never played the games, but from videos I am extremely disappointed. Looks like a button mashing fest. I love Zelda, and I will buy every Zelda game. This is not a Zelda game.

This game is ver above average. That is a fact. But the game is an acquired taste though. It will not appeal to everyone. But the game does not try to appeal to everyone. If you don't like the game, that's fine. But accusing the game as average is wrong. The game's worst part is how repetitive it is. Same thing over and over. Still fun though.

I just got the game and I love it way more than I thought I would! While nothing is exactly spectacular or innovative per se, it's still a lot of fun. It certainly isn't a "Zelda" game though. It's more like a Dynasty Warriors game with a Zelda setting.

The fact that they came out with Young Link/Fierce Deity as a playable character makes it that much better for me. Tingle's creepy though, lol.

This game is ver above average. That is a fact. But the game is an acquired taste though. It will not appeal to everyone. But the game does not try to appeal to everyone. If you don't like the game, that's fine. But accusing the game as average is wrong. The game's worst part is how repetitive it is. Same thing over and over. Still fun though.

^This. While a good game overall, it's still pretty repetitive, but not in a bad way. It's still a fun game despite it's issues. Heck, at least it's a much better beat-em-up last year than say, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Now that's a game that gets old very fast with it's repetitiveness.

I've never played the games, but from videos I am extremely disappointed. Looks like a button mashing fest. I love Zelda, and I will buy every Zelda game. This is not a Zelda game.
Trust me, the videos don't really do it justice. If you look at some core elements of gameplay, then yes they look repetitive. But it's the escalation of skill demanded of the player, and the way tactics can change from between different map or battle types that gives the game its variety and appeal. That screen cap up there of someone's play time is accurate. In november alone I put almost that much into this game. There's nothing like being embroiled in fighting some tough enemies, seeing the tiny flicker or red at the bottom left of the screen, realizing you have about half a second to dodge an incoming attack, dodging out of the way, blindly attacking offscreen where the hit would have come from, and breaking the weak point gauge of a Stalmaster without ever really breaking stride. If you don't like things that demand at least some good reflexes, then stay far away.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I think it's the best Wii U game out so far. Aside from Smash Bros of course.
Super Mario 3D World is AWESOME too. It's so fun. But it doesn't have quite as much replay value as HW or Smash, IMO.
Same is said for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. I really am liking it, but I'm not sure I can always come back to it and never be bored, like in Hyrule Warriors or Smash, where it's ALWAYS fun to play.

Oh- also Metroid Blast! in Nintendoland. That's always fun, but the issue with it is that it's too short, and it's better with other people. I'm an only child and my friends haven't wanted to play in a long while. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom