• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Having your username as your real name

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
My real name (Matthew) is just way too common to be a good username. And I don't feel like being just another Matt lying around the forums.
Well I WAS here first. And by the time you came around I already had a rather notorious reputation. :cool:

I prefer Matt where ever I go, online or off. My sisters usually use Matt, my mom does sometimes, my dad always says Matthew and that irritates me. I just don't like the full name and insist on the shorter version.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Well I WAS here first. And by the time you came around I already had a rather notorious reputation. :cool:

I prefer Matt where ever I go, online or off. My sisters usually use Matt, my mom does sometimes, my dad always says Matthew and that irritates me. I just don't like the full name and insist on the shorter version.

Okay Matthew. :P

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
This is my third username here. I originally went by "TSter The Great", but that was a ridiculously stupid nickname I gave myself when I was like 11 or 12. Once I started coming here really frequently and getting more known around here, I changed it because that name was so stupid. So I became "Mellow Ezlo", which was actually a fairly accurate representation of who I was (really mellow, yet quirky and sarcastic like Ezlo). I thought I was never gonna change it because that name fit me so well. I used it for a little more than two years. But then the site fell to **** back in October and I got banned for two months. During those two months, I missed both my real birthday and my ZD birthday, which made me sad.

I gave it a lot of thought during my ban. I wasn't originally gonna change my name because I liked having that sense of mystery. After all, I had never once straight up told anybody here my real name (though a lot of people guessed it). I left this place when it was a bit of a savage land. I kept browsing the forums while I was banned to stay up to date with what was happening, and so I was able to see it get better and better. By the time I returned, it was basically drama free.

So why did I actually change my name? Well, Mellow Ezlo was the person that trolled the site to get banned. I didn't want that reputation (even though I never got it). I went with my real name to reflect changes in both my online and offline site. I realized I didn't need to hide by using fake identities anymore. I realized that the forums truly feel like home to me and that I didn't need to hide, that I could just be myself. There were things I did both online and offline during my three year history here that I didn't want to be reminded of. In full, I decided to start using my real name here as a way to sort of start from scratch. I don't wanna be known as TSter or Mezlo anymore, I just wanna be me. And because this site is like home, I can do that.

When new members join, or older members come back, they will never know me as TSter or Mezlo, they'll just know me as Tristan. That's what I want.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I just never really felt like changing it to my real name (Chase). I've gotten used to being called Deku, Dek, DN, Nutty, whatever people want to call me. It's just a nickname to me really - not some kind of alternate identity. I actually know people irl that use some of my online names as nicknames. It's just who I am I guess.

Malia

Passive aggressive custom rank B)
Malia is my real name. Well, it's my English name translated into Samoan. Some people call me Liah, which is actually short for Malia (the H at the end was tacked on by friends in high school, and it just stuck for me). I'm not terribly creative with names online lol.

Well, my real name has been taken since before I joined like 7 years ago. Hasn't ever really been an option.

Honestly, I like my username because of how much of a memorable accident it seems to be. I joke that it's based on the Virgo cluster, but that's not even true. I can't tell you where it came from, because I have no idea/can't remember how my 13 year old self created it.

It kind of stuck for everyone at this place, and I've always thought it was funny how people would add like a million "go"s behind it. I'd like to think it makes me stick out in a positive way (or not so much, lol).

Personally I think using your real name is extremely boring, I'd even say it's a pet peeve of mine seeing other people use their names.

D

Deleted member 14134

Although it's been the spark that has ignited many wars and the subject of many heated debates, my forum name actually is not the same as my real name, which I'm sure will come to a surprise to many of you. I don't love my real name and I would find it weird if people online called me by it (heck I never even name my video game characters after myself). Therefore I will stick with the random stupid names I use online.

Dan

My real name isn't Dan. Personally I would feel a little odd using my real name on an internet forum but it's up to the user.

My real name isn't Dan. Personally I would feel a little odd using my real name on an internet forum but it's up to the user.

And here I thought I was special for calling myself Tim online, but you went one step further. :eek:

Reactions: Dan
I prefer to tell only the people I trust most my real name, but I can totally understand why some people would prefer to have their real name as their username. I have a lot of memories, both good and bad, with my current username, so I don't see myself changing it anytime soon. If I did ever change it, however, I'd consider using my real name.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I just think having your regular name as a username is not as exciting as picking one for yourself online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom