• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Having your username as your real name

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I've gone by many names in the past:
Xyphon
Ventus (for about 10 minutes)
Repentance
Jamie (once at the same time as Repentance, but that's another story)
Koolaid Man

Etc etc. However, I think out of all of them, Jamie is probably the best choice. Originally, I didn't want this as like most people, I cherish my anonymity. But at this point, everyone knows who I am, and what's the big deal about a first name, anyhow?

Users like Dan, Vanessa, Jimmy, Seth, Tristan, Crus@der77x, Matt, etc all use their real name as their username.

What do you guys think about using your real name as your username? Are you doing it? If so, why? Is it due to a lack of originality, or do you prefer to just be called by your name? If you aren't doing it, have you? Why or why not?

Thanks for reading :)

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I've only had one username here and I wouldn't use my real name. It's not like people here havent known my real name for a really long time now (Georgia in case you don't know) but I don't like my name anyway. Irl most people call me Gee or Geebee, Georgie or George or something else which derives from my name. I was thinking of changing my username but it wouldn't be to my real name. I don't mind the people that do though.

Pen

The game is on!
I had the username Komali during my first year here at the forums, but I had it changed to Pendio in early October 2011. I have considered changing to my real life name actually since I feel like a lot of members here (at least the ones I am the closest to) already know my name anyway. I guess I'm still thinking it over. I really wouldn't mind using my real name as my username on here. The only downside I see with it would be that some people would probably either not know how to pronounce it, or they'd get it mixed up with another more common name. DX

Come to think of it, how DO you pronounce your name? I've been wondering about that one for a while now to be honest. ^^

I've never gone with my real name on an online board before, though my fake name on one became kind of my "real name" for some people, so there's that.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I had the username Komali during my first year here at the forums, but I had it changed to Pendio in early October 2011. I have considered changing to my real life name actually since I feel like a lot of members here (at least the ones I am the closest to) already know my name anyway. I guess I'm still thinking it over. I really wouldn't mind using my real name as my username on here. The only downside I see with it would be that some people would probably either not know how to pronounce it, or they'd get it mixed up with another more common name. DX
ITS SPELLED "PETER"

Pen

The game is on!
Come to think of it, how DO you pronounce your name? I've been wondering about that one for a while now to be honest. ^^

It's pronounced the same way you'd pronounce "better", but with a P sound instead of a B sound.

tumblr_n20hi0tqrK1rp1voro1_500.gif

c:

ITS SPELLED "PETER"

umu

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Nah, I don't really want to. I prefer to be a man of mystery at the current moment ;)

Nah, not really, I just really don't like my name.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I had my real name as my username on here once. I wanted to change it to something Zelda related and luckily I found a name that fit since I love Zelda and Pink Floyd.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I guess my username is kind of my real name, although it is a nickname I was given in school.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
When I first joined I used the name Bigelover88. This was because of a crush and admiration I had on a former Hockey player Eric Lindros back in the days. But I grew out of it (I already did at the time I signed up here so why I ever used that name is still a riddle to me). I thought it was so immature and childish (also a bit of a groupie nature and I hate that) to have that name so I got it changed in early 2012 into my real name (as Jamie already said, I'm one of the members who use their real names). And I don't regret it one single bit. I don't use anything else anymore because after a while I'll get tired of the chosen username or perhaps the fandom and thn I'm stuck with a silly name. Or I might even forget my username after a while. But my real name is not easy to forget :P

Night Owl

~Momentai
My real name (Matthew) is just way too common to be a good username. And I don't feel like being just another Matt lying around the forums.
I might be able to come up with something clever with Kohn though. (pronounced like cone).

I've grown to really love my username Night Owl. It's cool and not really attached to a fandom. The story behind the name is that I was called the night owl of the family because I would stay up really late reading or playing videogames. I generally prefer night over day.
It's been my username since Oct 2011 when I joined. I'd have to come up with a great name in order for me to consider replacing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom