• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favourite "Fourth Wall Breaking" Moment?

Basically what I'm referring to is the time when a Video Game character breaks the barrier between Themselves and the Player. It's pretty impressive seeing a character interact with the actual player and not their character. My question is what is your favourite one of these rare moments? I don't know that many so It'd be interesting to hear yours :D

My favourite one is in Metal Gear Solid when Psycho Mantis reads your mind (or memory card) and comments on what you play and how often you save such as "You like The Legend of Zelda don't you" and then vibrating the controller and changing the channel. It's pretty cool and if executed correctly these times can be fun and very interesting. What's your favourite fourth wall moment?

Thanks for reading :)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I agree, Psycho Mantis was amazing. You just do not expect it at all when it first happens and it takes you completely by surprise. Makes you think "Oh God! He really can read my mind!"

Musicfan

the shadow mage
May favrit its at the end of pokemon snakewood were the mc stevn draco and izumi go to save the world from senex and the creator "speeckes" directly to you.

Dan

Most likely Deadpools Hyper combo, where he literally grabs the health bar and hyper combo bar and beats the opponent with it, oh and when he says confronts the player about him doing all the work and me just sitting on my ***.
[video=youtube;Yfn8uDxtXUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfn8uDxtXUM[/video]

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
How can a MGS character know youre playing Zelda? Arent they on completely different consoles...

This is a Zelda forum, so I HAD to say this: Fi telling you your wimote is almost out of batteries. Even though it can be annoying.

In Spyro: A Hero's Tail, there is a part where Spyro is captured. Spyro's dragonfly companion(Sparx) goes to Hunter the cheetah and tells him Spyro's in trouble. Hunter agrees to rescue Spyro "before it's too late", then Sparx says "what if it's already too late?" To which Hunter replies: "Relax, Spyro's still alive. I know, because if he weren't, we'd be going back to a previous save." xD

This was explained in the OP. The game reads your memory card.
That and he was probobly playing the Twin Snakes remake on GameCube.

My favourite one is from MGS4 when Snake revisits Shadow Moses. When he gets to the area where the player originally had to switch disc in MGS1, Snake gets this message from Otacon.

[video=youtube;oyaPRQ8sKFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyaPRQ8sKFw[/video]

Beeker

Wild Card
My favourite fourth wall breaking game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Lots of hilarious moments in it. One of my favourites is when the one of the antagonists Lord Crump is disguising himself as a fellow pirate while on an expedition. You can obviously tell it's him, but he points to the screen and says that the person in front of the TV better not tell Mario who he really is. Another is when a boss who demands you guess his name right steals the letter P so you cannot complete it. You have to recover it to beat him. XD

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
This isn't an actual fourth wall breaking but I thought it was at first. In Twilight Princess in West (I think) Castle Town there's a guy that says something about "the guy who's watching us" which I thought was supposed to be the player, but later I found another guy across from the first guy who said something of the same effect. I realized they were talking about each other the whole time, but it would have been cool if that NPC was talking about the player.

Kirino

Tatakae
Pit: "Hey, those Komayato's sure look alot like Metroids."

Viridi: " Shhh, you're not supposed to say that."

Pit: "What? I was just saying that Komayato's look alot like Metr-"

Viridi: "Be quiet!"

A scene from Kid Icarus Uprising in which Viridi scolds Pit for breaking the fourth wall and talking about Metroid.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Since someone beat me to the 4th wall breaking moment in Kid Icarus i'd have to say in Mother 3 when they tell you how to save for example.

No More Heroes,

1. in NMH2 when Sylvia says "There are people playing this who don't care about continuity." *nods to the camera*
2. The last boss of NMH1 when Travis and the final boss have a sped up conversation as to not bore the viewer and then Travis sums it up in one line afterwards.

Good stuff.

Rare Addict

Site Staff
Many of my favorite "fourth wall breaking" moments come from Conker's Bad Fur Day. If I were to narrow it down to just one, however, I'd probably cite the ending of the game.

"The game's locked up. I don't believe it!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom