• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dr Who, Anybody Like This Show?

Who is the Best Doctor?

• William Hartnell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Troughton

• Jon Pertwee

• Tom Baker

• Peter Davidson

• Colin Baker

• Sylvester McCoy

• Paul McGann

• Christopher Eccleston

• David Tennant

• Matt Smith

• Total voters

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well to be honest out of the 100% fans who watch the new Dr Who 99% loves Tennant. I left a couple of facebook Dr Who pages because I thought it was about Doctor Who but it turned out it was more about Doctor David Tennant. With all respect, the guy did a good job but it annoys me till no end people are always mentioning him and Rose and never or hardly watched Classical Who. Classical Who has so many GREAT companions who are waaaaaay better than Rose who's biggest talent was crushing and drooling over the Doctor. One personal fav of mine is Tom Baker who is considered widely as THE Doctor of all time and I think people should watch the classical Who too. The stories are so good!!!
I am actually doing just that, taking on Classic Who from the very beginning. I'm 11 episodes in so far on the first Doctor and just finished watching the very first Dalek storyline. I've decided that I'm going to do my best to watch through all the classic Doctors, so that I can truly decide for myself what I think of the old series versus the new. But I think in the end, I think we will all be biased when choosing our favorites. Classic Who fans will most likely favor one of the classic Doctors and modern Who fans will most likely favor one of the modern Doctors. Because the series reflects on the era and the generation it was aired for. However I will get back to you once I've made my way through the show and seen the movie.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well I grew up with the old Who but never really watched it. I think I only saw one episode of Baker in that time and one or two of Davidson. It was not until the end of 2011 when I got myself into dr Who and started to watch the show. I like both classical and new series. Both have great storylines. The classical ones have a bit more adventure but the new ones have a better explanation. I also like they're using old enemies again and their ways are still the same

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well I grew up with the old Who but never really watched it. I think I only saw one episode of Baker in that time and one or two of Davidson. It was not until the end of 2011 when I got myself into dr Who and started to watch the show. I like both classical and new series. Both have great storylines. The classical ones have a bit more adventure but the new ones have a better explanation. I also like they're using old enemies again and their ways are still the same

I didn't grow up with any Who at all, I'm simply from the wrong country. It was never aired here, even the new series is import only and has never aired on any channels here. We can watch it with Norwegian subtitles on Netflix (the new one, that is), but that is the only option where we can have Norwegian subtitles.

I tend to prefer things made within the time I've been alive (80's, 90's, and onwards), because I have lived those decades and thereby understand those generations better than the ones before that. However, I'm not adverse to watching older things, for instance my favorite incarnation of the Addams Family is the black'n white TV-show from 1964. I tend to be a bit sceptical to older sci-fi, because what I've seen so far tends to have very stale, robotic kind of acting and I tend to be very character-focused when I watch something. Thankfully Classic Who doesn't seem to be falling into that trap so far, and that's a big relief for me. Sure, in terms of gender roles and general culture, I have to remind myself what decade the show is taking place in (so I don't continuously roll my eyes at Ian Chesterton's savior-complex and things like that), but the dialogue is witty, I find the first Doctor to be amusing, and not just a little bit manipulative (pretending the TARDIS is broken just so he can do what he wants without the others making a fuss, lol).

It'll be nice to be able to form a real opinion of each of the Doctors, but I doubt I will be re-watching a lot of it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh I admit at first it's a bit hard to watch but trust me ;) The good ones are entering soon. I know for a fact I will rewatch Tom Baker for sure. He is so good and so is Peter Davidson. He is actually the one I should consider "my" Doctor since I remember him the best. I wasn't a Who fan but my brother and mom used to be. But now my brother has no interest in it at all. Too bad because it's really good. The new series brought me into Dr Who. Ecclestone was so sassy anf funny in the first episode I kept on watching. I don't know if we got netflix over here in Holland but I bought the dvd boxes of the new series with english subtitles available. I recently watched a couple of Matt and Tennant's episodes. And I'm watching Tom every evening till i'm up to date :D I can't wait for March to arrive so I can watch Dr Who season 7 again!!!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Still need to get through the First Doctor and I think that's gonna take a while with there being 40+ episodes per season...

I've never seen it, but to be perfectly honest, it looks like a bad show and every time I hear someone talk about it I get cancer.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've never seen it, but to be perfectly honest, it looks like a bad show and every time I hear someone talk about it I get cancer.

You mean the Classic series? Or are you talking about Doctor Who in general?

If it's the second, then I can understand to a degree. I was exposed to a random Who episode at a convention a few years ago. I was very unimpressed with it as nothing made sense to me, I had no clue who the people were or what was going on, so I didn't understand why people were raving on about it. But then my best friend had me watch from one of the series "starting points" (new doctor, new starting point - well mostly), and it helped me understand.

The fantastic thing about the show is how few limitations it has. It's hard to explain, but basically whatever storyline you want to do, whatever genre you want to do, whatever you want to mix together - it can be done in this show.

I started watching it this year (starting with 9th Doctor) because a friend made me. I disliked it the first 5 episodes in...I just thought the concept of terribly animated aliens running around the streets and zapping citizens with lasers was really lame...but episode 6 (the Dalek one?) was pretty well written, and from there I started liking it. By the end of the 9th Doctor's run I was pretty attached to the Doctor and Rose, and no matter how much they stress how Tennant is "the same doctor with a different face," I can't help but miss Eccleson (he doesn't seem to get as much love from the fandom D:). I'm around episode 4 of series 2, and I think it's a good show with good writing, good morals, and righteous/humble main characters. I also really like what misskitten said about how flexible the genre is. Sometimes I feel like the animation is low-budget and lo-q compared to the writing, but there's a certain charm about that as well :D

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I started watching it this year (starting with 9th Doctor) because a friend made me. I disliked it the first 5 episodes in...I just thought the concept of terribly animated aliens running around the streets and zapping citizens with lasers was really lame...but episode 6 (the Dalek one?) was pretty well written, and from there I started liking it. By the end of the 9th Doctor's run I was pretty attached to the Doctor and Rose, and no matter how much they stress how Tennant is "the same doctor with a different face," I can't help but miss Eccleson (he doesn't seem to get as much love from the fandom D:). I'm around episode 4 of series 2, and I think it's a good show with good writing, good morals, and righteous/humble main characters. I also really like what misskitten said about how flexible the genre is. Sometimes I feel like the animation is low-budget and lo-q compared to the writing, but there's a certain charm about that as well :D

Just wait until you reach later seasons in terms of quality of special effects. The budget was increased as the new series gained popularity. And I think you'll be pretty happy with the look of it matching the writing as time passes ;) I was introduced to the show through the 11th Doctor, so when I eventually got around to watching the first season and onwards I could really see the difference. I think one of the reasons Eccleson's Doctor doesn't get as much love from the masses as the others is probably due to him only doing one seasons, thereby we didn't get as much time with him as we did with the others.

Here's a good video that shows the differences without really spoiling anything (well, except the faces of other Doctors and companions, lol)
[video=youtube;Dx59C8JeF7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx59C8JeF7Q[/video]

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I never had that much trouble with the effects. The storylines are pretty good and make up for it. Some like the RTD writing better and some like Moffat's writing better. I think both men did a great job. I like the returning themes in Dr Who. We didn't have that in season 1-3. In Season 4 we saw a theme returning with the announcement of the Doctor's song be ending soon. This makes things more interesting and facinating. Right now in Tom Baker's fifth season you'll see a returning theme as well. I love that!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I enjoy both RTD and Moffat's writing, but I kinda have to say I prefer Moffat since he created and has full creative control of my favorite character :)

I finally finished the first season of Classic Who, now. So far the only storyline that really appealed to me was the Aztec one, simply because Barbara got to show her worth for once, both in terms of her knowledge and strength. I loved how she handled herself with everything she had to face. I also enjoyed the bit where the Doctor accidentally got engaged for the first time. I think I'm gonna keep a running count on how many times this will happen. His expression when he realized he'd accidentally proposed to the woman was priceless!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've decided to give "report" once I have finished all the episodes with one particular Doctor. I have just finished watching up until the Doctor's regeneration now. So here's what I think. It amused me how far he was willing to go to get his own way, including pretending the TARDIS was broken in order to get to explore the things he wanted to explore, lol. Out of his companions I liked Barbara and Dodo the best. Ian annoyed me because he was always acting the hero, Susan annoyed me for the exact opposite reason, she was far too unsure of herself and clingy. Don't really have much of an opinion about the rest. They were alright, but didn't stand out much. My favorite storyline was the Aztec one, primarily because Barbara finally was allowed to show some strength and independence. Other than that I doubt very much that I'll re-watch any of those episdes.

So, so far I like my Doctors in the following order: 11, 10, 9, 1
Time to get started on the second Doctor

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
And I'm almost done with the Fourth Doctor. I have like 4 or 5 episodes left till he will regenerate. What can I say about him so far? He is funny, sarcastic, smart, determined, impatient, curious and he also has the darker side of him which we see more of in the new Who. This one is definitely one of my favs. Out of all Doctors I've watched him and 5th are my two favs

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well, I've seen Half of the classics and all of the modern show and my favourite is my first introduction to the Doctor, which is Matt Smith, but I've also enjoyed Tennant, Eccleston and Tom Baker. Pertwee had his moments, Hartnell was okay and I personally wasn't a fan of Troughton. Haven't seen the other Doctors yet, so can't say what I think of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom