• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Don't You Think There Are Very Few Items in SS?

As can be seen in http://www.zeldainformer.com/images/news/Pocket.jpg, there is just space for 8 items in our inventory in SS.

I think that 8 items are very few, and we should get more. We don't have to get items only in dungeons, we could get them doing quests, even sidequests!
I also think that if we have just 8 items, they should't be wasted with the slingshot, since we already have the bow and arrow.

What about you? Do you thing there are few itens in SS? Would you like to have more?

Last edited:

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
True, there are eight items, but I actually like that. In many Zelda games, too many items that are not used much make for a confusing inventory, and makes it difficult if you're stuck. If there are 8 items that are all used at equal rates, that is a lot less confusing and more useful.

Also, the Slingshot isn't a 'wasted' inventory space. If you haven't noticed yet, the bow and arrow is aimed with the Wii Remote upright, similar to Wii Sports Resort's archery. Because of this, it is difficult to use in the midst of a close-range battle. The Slingshot, however, is aimed using the pointer, making it more accurate and easier to use. I think both items will be equally useful in Skyward Sword.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
SS seems to pretty much focus on swordplay. With all the focus on the Wii Motion Plus and the fact that the very name of the game is Skyward Sword, the sword is obviously going to feature more prominently in fighting than any of the other items. Personally, I approve.

There's also the fact that more is not always better. Just look at TP. Overdose of items, many involving gimmicks, many falling short of their full potential. The Spinner, Dominion Rod, Horse Call, things like that, just how much practical use did they have outside of their dungeons/story elements? Too little to make them worth much. The items that were used most often included Bombs, the Bow, and the Clawshot, practical items with real use. Items like that, whose full potential can be properly exploited, frankly that's all I personally want. I don't like seeing large numbers of gimmicky items just for the sake of having more items. Eight I think is very nice. A heavier focus on swordsplay with a few diverse and practical side items, seems like a great deal to me.

I do, however, agree that the Slingshot seems like a wasted item slot. It's not much more than a weaker version of the Bow, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any special abilities that make it more usable than the Bow in any situation (well, maybe for its larger ammo capacity and shorter range for those skullwalltulas, but that's not really much a reason to keep it). But all in all, I personally like the smaller inventory.

I can almost gaurentea that there is more. Maybe 8 is the smallest the circle can be and as you get more than eight, the item circle get larger, or maybe only 8 show up at fist because 8 items are required where as the rest are optional. A lot of items would be great. Just look at how TP was a sucses. Also, you really need to spell check your posts...

I actually think the slingshot is wasted, compared to TP you could simply z target n'shoot
but in SS as seen in the e3 trailer you still have to point no matter if you are z targetting or not! :(

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
I kind of like having less items. I think having 8 items that you use frequently (plus the sword) is better than having say 12 items and only using 6 of them regularly. Also it seems much easier and faster to choose an item to use, you don't have to scroll around like in Wind Waker and Ocarina of time. I think nintendo knows what they're doing.

The fact that we only saw a demo and the game is still in beta stages, we cannot deny or confirm how many items are going to be in the final version.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I am quite tired of the sheer number of items in Zelda games. I tend to prefer games where they've pared them down--where one does not have to shuffle through 20 or 30 inventory items just to pick out the right weapon.

As previously stated, we don't know for sure yet how many items will be in SS, but I certainly hope it is limited, even to 8. Perhaps the developers can learn to be more resourceful with the items they give us--then we will not have to switch so much.

L

LegendLugia

I think it is better to have less items as they could be put to more use were as in tp there were items i only used once like the fishing rod you only need to use it 3 times unless you use it against ganondorf which I didn't. The bombs in SS now have the ability to roll which brings a hole new range of puzzles just with that one feature. The "beetle" could be used to get a good layout of the next area without having to fight enemies. The whip may also be used like it was in ST to swing across gaps. Even the ability to have 1:1 swordplay gives of new puzzles.

M

Mystic Shade

I think that as it was just a demo, 8 item slots would be enough to showcase the item selection screen, but not give too much information on the number of items Link uses so 8 might not be the final number of items in the finished game. The screen also reminds me of how in TP the screen just held more items without giving an idea of how many there were, so that's a possibility.

I would still like it to be capped at 8 though as it would mean that Nintendo could focus on those items and give them better usage throughout the game, and not have a spinner scenario where you use the item around three or four times out of the dungeon you got it from.

Goro-Link

I am all of me.
8 items is good. but the bow is my favorite weapon, and i want to use it anytime. there's Nothing more fun than PWNing a moblin with an arrow right in his face. (except for repeatedly hitting one with the ball and chain. good times)

Kybyrian

I heard something about them including less items in the game but using them all throughout the entire game very often. I don't know if this was accurate or not, but that's what I'm actually hoping for. I'm kind of tired of getting all of the items that they keep handing to us. It seems that they just load a ton of items on us and we don't even use them all that often. It's nice having new items to do new things and all, but I'd actually much rather have fewer items that have a bigger and better use through the entire game.

Of course, we can never even know that this menu is final. There could very well be more than 8 items, but I'm hoping that they at least don't have as much as they always do. It'd be nice if they slimmed down on the amount of items for once. Only if they made them more useful throughout the entire game, of course.

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
Yes there are not many items,but Miyamoto said you will get to use the items more. Plus you can use them more ways like the bombs. You can roll them now. Hope this information helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom