• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Your School Ever Assign Summer Homework?

I have never been an honor student, however for the first time last year my teachers recommended me for pretty much all honor and AP classes, which was very shocking. For the first time, I got work; writing, reading, etc, to do over the summer . . .
This is exactly why I should not be in honors classes. I begin school in 2 days and have done absolutely nothing, and honestly don't know if I even want to attempt anything. My brain is fried after a summer of no brain-workouts, so I'm scared to even look at the assignments.

Anyways, I was wondering how many schools actually do give summer work, and if people do it. When I told my family in Puerto Rico I had school work over the same their jobs literally dropped . . . and my aunt started an hour long speech on how it was an infringement on my rights as an American . . . (lol)

Anyways, does your school give a large amount of summer assignments? A small amount? None at all?
Do you actually do said assignments? If so, are you a "get it over with" type of person or a procrastinator?

Do you view the work as beneficial or pointless?
Is it even fair ?! :S

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I've had summer assignments every year I've been in school and I've done it basically all of the time. I think having to read a book for English and maybe take some notes on it is okay, but practically everything else, especially the worksheets you get in math, are pretty much useless. What classes do you have to do work in? I usually just end up getting math, english, and maybe work in one of my elective classes which is the case this year with AP psych.

I usually try to just space out my work over the summer but I end up procrastinating and doing most of it at the end, days before it's due. Despite having loads of free time over the summer I find it very hard find the willpower to do this type of thing.

I always do my summer assignments and thoroughly enjoy them especially since I have more time to complete them with no school in session. Prior to my freshman year of high school I had to read two books; before sophomore year I read two novels and a history packet; this was repeated between the summer of my sophomore and junior years; this past summer reading three classics was my sole labor.

Of course these assignments are beneficial for they stimulate students to think during their off-period. Many forget the information from the past year during the summer and work during this period endeavors to assist in retaining that knowledge. Of course you're biased against this after nine months of learning but it's for your own good.

Siniru

Zoldyck family assassin
Your Imagination... Is life real?! Am I real?!
Honestly, I hate summer assignments. I get them all the time and feel like dumping them in the bin.

But I don't. Just do it and you will have the rest of the summer to yourself. No interruptions, apart from the simple 'Did I leave my iron on?'

Even if they are boring as fug, they are for a reason. After all, of you happen to go back to school and forget what you were doing last, that won't be pretty.

If you dislike them, just think:

"Is doing a simple summer assignment better than having a detention?'

Last edited:

Joy

The Sexy One
My school gives me a "reading list" but nothing else. However, the reading list is a 50-book list, full of classics like Jane Eyre, Oscar Wilde, hound of the baskervilles and all sorts of things.

Now I really enjoy reading but I still only read a quarter (if even that) of the assigned books and only if they interest me. Otherwise I read my own books.

I read even if I am not assigned anything, so on my part, the list is pointless. Rather, it limits the books I should read and I will read those books slowly compared to others because I have no interest in them.

My school makes us read a book from a list and then do a project on said book. I don't mind the reading part, it's just that doing a project during the summer vacation doesn't really feel right.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
Only the AP/honors/advanced classes have summer homework, which would include me, and I should really be doing it right now. For English we have to read 2 books, do reading logs, and an essay for one of them. Now the essay I can put up with, but they only give you like 5 books to choose 2 from, and they're all about "self motivation" or "don't do drugs" and all of that cliche stuff that we don't need any more of. Apart from that, all of the books are only 100 some pages, and we have to do 15 reading logs each (thats one reading log ever 7 or so pages). And then they don't even let us choose what to write about, all of the reading log prompts are like "How have you changed after reading the book? What did you learn that you never knew before" or "What emotions did the book invoke: laughter, tears, smiles, anger? Why?" And it drives me insane cause I have to get 8 sentences out of 7 pages to fit that. 30 times. But I finally finished all of those and now I should really get to that essay.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yes, my school assigns summer homework. For English, they assign a book to read which they usually will test us on the first week of school. For Math, they give us problems that cover nearly all of the year's topics so we can be prepared for next year. For Science, they tell us to read the first two or so chapters from the textbook and do the problems. I usually do most of my summer homework really quickly, save English, where I spend my good time reading the book,

I had a pretty decent sized load of AP English homework this summer. I procrastinated so I ended up doing 5 essays in 5 days and barely making the due date. What's worse is that classmates of mine that I thought to be responsible put it off until the very last day. :P

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
OH MAI GOSH, ALWAYS. EVERY. HECKING. YEAR.

GOSHH I hate Summer home works/ assignments! :
English Teacher: Okay students, for your summer assignment, you have to make your own note expansion.
Math Teacher: Class, for your summer assignment, here's a 10 page Maths worksheet for all of you~! You must finish ALL of them before school starts again, okay class? NOW, ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!!! (....This is what I MOSTLY HATE.)
Science Teacher: Class, your assignment for this summer is you have to do a scrapbook about animals about to extinct. IF you fail to send this when the school starts, I WILL report this immediately to the Discipline Teacher's office.

I HATE IT SO FREAKING MUCH it ruins my fun...

P.S - I live in different places(not America), so yeah.

Dan

Yes they did but we all *****ed and moaned, and like all things in life *****ing and moaning seems to always get the Job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom