• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Want ZeldaU to Be a Light-Hearted Game or Dark?

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly I would want to say neither, there are a lot of games that I enjoy that are not light hearted but they cannot be described as dark either. I do enjoy a bit more realism to a game but that should not always translate to gritty, horrible human suffering everywhere you go misery in a dank and old setting with torn up buildings everywhere. Nor do I care for cartoon fun time where everything if perfectly G rated happiness. We have games like Kirby for that so I don't believe it is needed in a Zelda game either. Many adventure games can have an interesting balance of both and have lighter spots and darker spots but over a well balanced atmosphere. There are several Final Fantasy games that can fit into this mold easily enough. Yea there are some light hearted scenes, and yea occasionally people die and there is often a dark themed temple or two. But that is generally it as far as specializing in one area alone.

Since when was Ocarina of Time a light hearted game. With a destroyed, apocolyptic hyrule with zombies and the shadow temple?

The thing is these themes were watered down to suit that particular audience. Only a fraction of the game is dark where the rest is considered light-hearted. I understand where you're coming from, but that portion of the game isn't enough to consider it a dark game, it's sort of has both, but more on the light-hearted side.

Deeds

no text
Since when was Ocarina of Time a light hearted game. With a destroyed, apocolyptic hyrule with zombies and the shadow temple?
Doesn't neccessarily mean it isn't light-hearted. Light-hearted could also mean the expansion of the game itself, how much quantity is in it or the skill level required to play it.

Honestly I would want to say neither, there are a lot of games that I enjoy that are not light hearted but they cannot be described as dark either. I do enjoy a bit more realism to a game but that should not always translate to gritty, horrible human suffering everywhere you go misery in a dank and old setting with torn up buildings everywhere. Nor do I care for cartoon fun time where everything if perfectly G rated happiness. We have games like Kirby for that so I don't believe it is needed in a Zelda game either. Many adventure games can have an interesting balance of both and have lighter spots and darker spots but over a well balanced atmosphere. There are several Final Fantasy games that can fit into this mold easily enough. Yea there are some light hearted scenes, and yea occasionally people die and there is often a dark themed temple or two. But that is generally it as far as specializing in one area alone.

Yeah, kinda like Dragon Quest: Setinel of the Starry Skys. It was light hearted with some sad events happening.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The thing is these themes were watered down to suit that particular audience. Only a fraction of the game is dark where the rest is considered light-hearted. I understand where you're coming from, but that portion of the game isn't enough to consider it a dark game, it's sort of has both, but more on the light-hearted side.

Where was it ever light hearted? The game starts off with a bullied orphan getting picked on, that his Father-figure is dying, tries to save him only to learn he was doomed before he started and it was all for nothing. This father figure then dies. Next part of the game focuses on the fact that the world is in danger and this kid has to stop a greedy thief from taking over. Next we get to Gorons starving. After the 2nd dungeon we get our first not-dark point in the game. Even then, I'd hardly call it lighthearted.

We have one dungeon without anything too dark happening. We then go to the future and learn that Ganondorf has taken over, the good side has lost, and there is very very little hope. Right after this, we step outside to see an apocalyptic wasteland with dead corpses of the jolly people we used to see here all around us. From there we learn how much has changed and that the world is slowly becoming corrupt and evil like Ganondorf.

The next four temples have the Kokori being attacked by monsters (and us learning that everyone blames Link from the Deku Tree), the Gorons being imprisoned and ready to be sacrificed, the Zoras frozen over, and the Shadow Temple which speaks for itself.

In the end we are given the Jabu-Jabu and Gerudo sections as the only non-dark parts of the game, and even those aren't very light hearted with Ruto being a brat and Nabooru being brainwashed for 7 years.

Last edited:

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
I haven't read anyone else's opinion so far, as I do not want to be swayed one way or another. My first thought after reading that question was "definitely light hearted". If the Wii U Zelda is going to have Skyward Sword style graphics, which I personally love, it should be whimsical and playful. I want to see some strange characters and even weirder dialog than before. Zelda characters are so charming with their comments. I would also like to see the romance between Link & Zelda again. Their relationship in SS was so cute.

As many have been saying, I'd prefer a balance of both light and dark. I felt Skyward Sword did this pretty well (even if the story itself had some flaws), and to some extent, Ocarina of Time. Games like Twilight Princess were a bit grittier with their darkness, showing more of the personal suffering and emotions of the general population. I actually felt this kind of storytelling was refreshing in the Zelda series, which had previously relied mostly on cliche premises and dialogue. I wouldn't mind seeing a pretty dark Zelda again.

What I don't want is a Zelda game with few to no laughs or uplifting moments. There are too many of those on the market, and Zelda's general levity makes it somewhat unique in the modern gaming market. A good balance of light and dark would be similar to, say, either Final Fantasy XIII installment; people die and crap happens, but the heroes push on, laugh with each other, and engage in humorous moments. I'm not saying FFXIII needs to be its role model. I'm just saying the light-dark ratio in the FFXIII games was pretty well-balanced, and Zelda could make use of it. Something where, again, people die and the world suffers, but there's still time to laugh as well as cry and look to the future in addition to remembering a cold past.

The more I think about it, the more I acknowledge Nintendo really needs to focus on the story for the next Zelda game. I know gameplay always comes first, but it's time to craft a deep narrative that is designed to make sense and entertain on its own, not just supplement the gameplay mechanics.

Where was it ever light hearted? The game starts off with a bullied orphan getting picked on, that his Father-figure is dying, tries to save him only to learn he was doomed before he started and it was all for nothing. This father figure then dies. Next part of the game focuses on the fact that the world is in danger and this kid has to stop a greedy thief from taking over. Next we get to Gorons starving. After the 2nd dungeon we get our first not-dark point in the game. Even then, I'd hardly call it lighthearted.

We have one dungeon without anything too dark happening. We then go to the future and learn that Ganondorf has taken over, the good side has lost, and there is very very little hope. Right after this, we step outside to see an apocalyptic wasteland with dead corpses of the jolly people we used to see here all around us. From there we learn how much has changed and that the world is slowly becoming corrupt and evil like Ganondorf.

The next four temples have the Kokori being attacked by monsters (and us learning that everyone blames Link from the Deku Tree), the Gorons being imprisoned and ready to be sacrificed, the Zoras frozen over, and the Shadow Temple which speaks for itself.

In the end we are given the Jabu-Jabu and Gerudo sections as the only non-dark parts of the game, and even those aren't very light hearted with Ruto being a brat and Nabooru being brainwashed for 7 years.

At the end of the day, It's what you consider Dark or light-hearted and how you portray certain events. Personally I don't really see those things too dark. It's a difficult one because although Ocarina of Time does has dark themes, it pretty moderate and it isn't the bases of the game unlike Majora's Mask. Compared to Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time is considered more Light-hearted. You can't say Ocarina of Time isn't a light-hearted game at all and you can't say it's a dark game either, it's a bit of both.

Last edited:

Deeds

no text
I haven't read anyone else's opinion so far, as I do not want to be swayed one way or another. My first thought after reading that question was "definitely light hearted". If the Wii U Zelda is going to have Skyward Sword style graphics, which I personally love, it should be whimsical and playful. I want to see some strange characters and even weirder dialog than before. Zelda characters are so charming with their comments. I would also like to see the romance between Link & Zelda again. Their relationship in SS was so cute.
Yeah, well, just so I've filled you in - most of the people on this thread would prefer a Dark Zelda, but your opinion definitely makes sense. I agree with you in some parts, Link's and Zelda's relationship in SS was really well done.

I would really like a "darker" feel to the next Zelda. I feel it should follow in the wake of MM/TP. The graphics, and the realism of Twilight Princess, with Majora's spookieness, and sense of mystery and dread. While Zelda games are meant for all audiences, I would like to have the sense of impending disaster if I should fail. I want to feel there is alot at stake in saving Hyrule. I think the games need more of that. I believe if they take one of the best elements from each game, we'd have the Zelda game we've been waiting for, that SS had failed to deliver.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't think a Zelda game necessarily needs either one. More than anything I want the tone and style to be serious. Not cutesy wootsey and silly, although I'll take dark and gloomy. Not usually my thing but I think dark and gloomy fits the series better than cutesy wootsey and silly.

I certainly do not want another toon Zelda for cripes sakes!! The Big N would be dumb to do that on the WiiU anyway. A Zelda game with realistic HD graphics will blow minds and be the best show of the systems capabilities. To do another toon Zelda would be to squander the opportunity to show off the Big N's shiny new tech.

I don't think a Zelda game necessarily needs either one. More than anything I want the tone and style to be serious. Not cutesy wootsey and silly, although I'll take dark and gloomy. Not usually my thing but I think dark and gloomy fits the series better than cutesy wootsey and silly.

I certainly do not want another toon Zelda for cripes sakes!! The Big N would be dumb to do that on the WiiU anyway. A Zelda game with realistic HD graphics will blow minds and be the best show of the systems capabilities. To do another toon Zelda would be to squander the opportunity to show off the Big N's shiny new tech.
So you're telling me Nintendo should sacrifice gameplay just to show off Wii U full potential? Sorry guys, but It's because of this kind of s***** logic that games are getting worst every gen. There is a lot to improve on Skyward Sword/Wind Waker colorful cartoonish style and It could easily use a lot of Wii U potential. Insisting on those kind of graphics isn't dumb, It's smart. What's dumb is changing Zelda's unique graphics for something realistic, which unecessarily takes a lot of disc space and development time, leaving less room to work with decent gameplay. Anyway, If you want realistic, go play CoD, not Zelda. The series should never go on the cheap route of realistic graphics just to please people who have no idea of what real art is. I could make this much longer but not feeling like It...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So you're telling me Nintendo should sacrifice gameplay just to show off Wii U full potential? Sorry guys, but It's because of this kind of s***** logic that games are getting worst every gen. There is a lot to improve on Skyward Sword/Wind Waker colorful cartoonish style and It could easily use a lot of Wii U potential. Insisting on those kind of graphics isn't dumb, It's smart. What's dumb is changing Zelda's unique graphics for something realistic, which unecessarily takes a lot of disc space and development time, leaving less room to work with decent gameplay. Anyway, If you want realistic, go play CoD, not Zelda. The series should never go on the cheap route of realistic graphics just to please people who have no idea of what real art is. I could make this much longer but not feeling like It...

What the hell does toon shading have to do with higher quality gameplay? Hell, if anything, the toon shaded water limits gameplay because you can't have underwater portions because the water is blue, rather than see through.

And no, it's not smart. Using these kinds of graphics makes no use of what the Wii U is capable of clearly leads to lower sales, based on what we've seen.

In no way shape or form is using realistic graphics the cheap route. If anything, it's the other way around seeing how much easier it is to use cell shading.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Zelda should always keep its charm.....Majoras Mask did this while still maintaining the dark theme, Twilight Princess on the other hand went very dark and lost the charm of a Zelda game. Dont get me wrong TP was an amazing game, my fav Zelda game but i do think that the next installment should go more in the Majoras Mask route in the next Zelda installment but have the realistic story and emotional story that Twilight Princess had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom