• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Want ZeldaU to Be a Light-Hearted Game or Dark?

Deeds

no text
This is a question I'm struggling to answer myself, so first I need to set some guidlines down.
When I think of a Light-Hearted Zelda I think of OoT, ST and PH. When I think of a dark Zelda I think of Majora's Mask and kind of, Twilight Princess.
So we can simplify the question by thinking - Do we want a Majora's Mask type Zelda? Or do we want an Ocarina of Time type Zelda? It's a really tough question, but I think I'd prefer a Majora's Mask/Dark Zelda.
Reason being, is that we don't have a lot of them. The majority of Zelda games are more Light-Hearted than Dark, and they mostly run from the same kind of formula, which I of course love, but Majora's Mask was different. It ran from a different formula to saving a princess, and it was mysterious - making it extremely interesting (in my opinion)

What do you guys think?

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
I'm rather hoping Nintendo follows in Majora's Mask's footsteps and create a realistic, dark, and expansive game that changes the entire meaning of the series.

Deeds

no text
I'm rather hoping Nintendo follows in Majora's Mask's footsteps and create a realistic, dark, and expansive game that changes the entire meaning of the series.
Yeah, an expansive world would be brilliant. Something I crave for, especially after Skyward Sword.

octorok74

TETTAC
I'd like the next Zelda game to be a bit darker. Almost like MM but with TP's graphics. And if if could be a bigger area I would like it. Let me explore and have fun. Give me things to actually do in the overworld instead of maybe one or to minigames. I would like that a lot.

I'd support a darker Zelda, but more like Majora's Mask and not like Twilight Princess. As for the graphics, they should never be realistic, actually, the game itself, should stay as cartoonish as It ever was (Even TP was), that's just something that works for the series, It's unique, If you want a too dark and realistic game go play CoD.

The game should stick to It's original formula, changing It too much will most likely lead Zelda to be less unique with borrowed elements from another game. I'd say a no to open world, the overworld could be a mix of SS and TP, It should be big and lively yet It shouldn't blend Itself too much with dungeons, and of course, everything should be connected.

Deeds

no text
If you want a too dark and realistic game go play CoD.
No thanks ;)
On a serious note though, comparing CoD to Zelda is absurd, CoD isn't even dark - nor is it realistic. If you want a dark and realistic RPG, go play the Souls games.

The game should stick to It's original formula.
Well that's just boring. Fair enough for not wanting change, but I fear that if another Zelda sticks to the same formula, will it appeal to those who dislike so called, 'copy and paste' games? I do know that Zelda, of course, isn't one of those, but people could fail to see that. Especially with a new, HD console and different types of gamers buying it.

A balance in both really. I like the fact that Nintendo experimented with the nature of a Zelda game with games like Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker, but ultimately I think a good balance in both Dark and light-hearted will attract a bigger audience then if they focuses on one or the other, and personally I think Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time managed to do just that.

Last edited:

Deeds

no text
A balance in both really. I like the fact that Nintendo experimented with the nature of a Zelda game with games like Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker, but ultimately I think a good balance in both Dark and light-hearted will attract a bigger audience then if they focuses on one or the other, and personally I think Twilight Princess managed to do just that.
That's true, yeah. Good point. A balance really would increase the sales, hadn't thought of that.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I would like for Zelda to have a balance between the two, nothing more boring than a purely light hearted game or vice versa IMO. Having some dark turning points in a light plot or light turning points in a dark plot makes for a really interesting story IMO. I liked how MM & TP executed this, the Twilight zones from TP were perfect examples of a dark tone to the game, felt like a plague, but once the area is restored you get a really colorful & light environment compared to the dark and sad one you were in before. MM does this in a different way though, you don't have a really good visual of darkness in MM as you do in TP, there isn't any twilight, instead we see cultures/civilizations at their rock bottom, in chaos and depressed, which changes once you restore the area as it was before the Skull Kid jinxed it.

This is the kind of contrast I'd like for ZU, not purely dark or light but a balance. I'd like for them to go with an MM approach, where there isn't a plague like the twilight which is affecting certain areas but rather depression, chaos, riots, famine and other problems we can see in our own world.

I'd support a darker Zelda, but more like Majora's Mask and not like Twilight Princess. As for the graphics, they should never be realistic, actually, the game itself, should stay as cartoonish as It ever was (Even TP was), that's just something that works for the series, It's unique

Why is it unique?
There are a lot of games with toonish art styles, Zelda doesn't even have the same art style throughout all the games so I have no clue how this can be unique to the series?

If you want a too dark and realistic game go play CoD.

CoD?
It's a FPS shooter, not even in the same genre. Skyrim or Dragon Age should've been your pick.

The game should stick to It's original formula, changing It too much will most likely lead Zelda to be less unique with borrowed elements from another game. I'd say a no to open world, the overworld could be a mix of SS and TP, It should be big and lively yet It shouldn't blend Itself too much with dungeons, and of course, everything should be connected.

What original formula, why would changing it have to involve borrowing elements from other games and why are you so certain that this would make it less unique not more unique?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword tried to be another light hearted game a la OoT and I believe it failed at the concept. TP was in a weird situation; I believe it wanted to be light and dark at the same time, but it failed at both in my opinion. ST was light hearted as was PH and those both nailed it.

So, I'd much rather have a dark/twisted game like Majora's Mask. It's been quite a while since Nintendo ventured in the gritty realm...well, not necessarily gritty, but surreal anyway. It'd be great for NIntendo to do it again, so why not?

I want dark but not TP style bland/depressing (which isn't a bad thing) I want it more like MM, dark power with a presence that really makes you worry, a strange world that doesn't feel quite right and everything seeming as if its out to get you, even the moon....

Surrealism works well in Zelda, i'd like ZeldaU to really play on Zelda's history as a franchise, not be a reference party like SS but more of a surreal, everything familiar is not quite right, is this even zelda kind of affair. Mix it up nintendo, its about time you did something interesting with this franchise.

Deeds

no text
I want dark but not TP style bland/depressing (which isn't a bad thing) I want it more like MM, dark power with a presence that really makes you worry, a strange world that doesn't feel quite right and everything seeming as if its out to get you, even the moon....

Surrealism works well in Zelda, i'd like ZeldaU to really play on Zelda's history as a franchise, not be a reference party like SS but more of a surreal, everything familiar is not quite right, is this even zelda kind of affair. Mix it up nintendo, its about time you did something interesting with this franchise.
I agree, yeah. The Majora's Mask feeling was a good feeling after playing Ocarina of Time, could this be the same feeling from Skyward Sword to ZeldaU? I hope so.

I want it to be darker but let me remind one thing. Since when was Ocarina of Time a light hearted game. With a destroyed, apocolyptic hyrule with zombies and the shadow temple?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Darker game...but how on earth was OoT light hearted? You have dead reanimated corpses of the happy townspeople going around, the world is under darkness and people are turning evil. Not to mention the blood and shadow temple in general. Honestly, MM felt much lighter by comparison. In MM people still had hope that it wouldn't reach areas outside the town or that it wouldn't even fall. In OoT, all hope is lost.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
Somewhere in between I suppose. I don't care so much about how light or dark the game is as long as its enjoyable to play. I don't see any Zelda game as being just light or just dark. It's about balancing the two opposites and using each at the appropriate time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom