• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Button Mashing is Cheating?

Not at all.
Even in some games it's the preferred way to play. One example is NES Tetris. Hypertapping (ie mashing the dpad) is better than using DAC (Delayed action control). There is a rolling form of typer tapping some people are using, that's where you don't tap your fingers down to the dpad - instead you hold your fingers over the dpad and use the other hand to tap the back side of the controller/dpad into your fingers.

Also in many beat em ups mashing is the way to go.

Mashing isn't cheating. It's just the low skill way to play. Though in certain gamesthere's different skill levels of mashing.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
No, it's not cheating. Just lame.

In PvP button mashing will usually get you nowhere if the other person has the slightest idea of what they're doing.

You can't consistently perform combos or be accurate when you're just randomly and quickly pressing buttons; and while being unpredictable supposedly gives you the higher ground, most decent games have basic tools to counter this kind of unskilled play.

So yea, feel free to just button mash but don't expect to get too far with it.

No, it's not cheating at all. Losing to someone who just mashed buttons is annoying, even more so than losing to a cheater because losing to a button masher just means you yourself suck.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Nah it's not cheating but it can be annoying or an indication of a lack of skill or knowledge depending on the game in question.
I sure feel sorry for my N64 controllers whenever they had to endure me playing the mini games in Pokemon Stadium...

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I played king of fighters at a friend's house once and brought an unkillable tutorial npc down to 1 hp by button mashing because literally everything is a combo in that game
It's not hard to do that depending on the dummy settings. Some take a while to recover life in case people wanna train stuff like mix-ups or vortexes or resets.
I'd be really surprised if what you did were true combos.

ChimeraWarden

I hear thunder, pitter patter..
It seems more like something you do when you didn’t read all the controls because they shoved a dozen down Tyler throat on the loading screen, kinda like what i used to do in SSBU when I didn’t fully know the controls

but in games like BotW, it can be dangerous for yourself. Let’s assume you have the Remote Bomb rune equipped. You press L. You press L again, sending you off the great plateau. The remote bomb sent you to 1 hp and the damage from the fall recovery pushed you over the edge (pun intended) and you die. But you forgot to save and auto save is turned off. So you have to start all the way from the Shrine Of Ressurection again and sit through the cutscene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom