• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Do YOU Hate Twilight Princess??

i just got 3 things i dont like about the legend of zelda toilet paper. i mean twilight princess
1.TOO MANY ITEMS!!! Dominion rod? no thanks. Slingshot? no need. fishing rod? no use. spinner? no way. but the spinner was fun
2.HYRULE FIELD IS TOO BIG. its a big field with nothing to do in it. yay.
3.TOO EASY. i literally let a monster hit me a bunch of times. it took him a while, but just standing there doing nothing, i got 2 hearts out of me. ooooh

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I can see this is an old thread and what not but some else necroed it so i'll chime in on my hatred for TP.

Can i hate it? Yes.

Would i rate it above fable 2 and 3? Yes, but thats not saying much.

With so many straight up bad games out there, its easy to see how this "Ok" level game can be construed as good.

The flow of the game, straight up ruined it for me, from the 2 hours before you can even get to the first dungeon. To the non stop we're walking, we're walking oh noes magic barrier kill these monsters in a single move as we can keep walking. To the FLY DOGGIE FLY, but i wanna jump here its much shorter then that other jump you just let me do, why can't I? To combat, if you chose to take a no sword skill and shieldless play through, most of the enemies were I have to counter attack explicitly i can't dodge and get up around them at all, if you did go traditionally, just shield bash -win.

The story, I wasn't a fan of it, its feel, and the tragic obscurity of Link's efforts, even Illea' amnesia added to the pointlessness feel of it.

The combat wasn't fun, the flow of the game wasn't fun, you were literally forced where to go at almost all times, the story wasn't entertaining at all. Now i did like Malo simply for the what the F?ness . And the kids were a nice touch.

But midna so powerful and yet so useless to help.

The light bugs, those are enough to make you wanna stop playing.

I'm not even touching on the items, because its not the first zelda game that an item didn't have much use out side its dungeon. Or in Link to the Past, the ice rod was straight up optional (worked extremely well against a few bosses though). Though it would have been nice to see some more use out of these new items.

Sling shot in OoT was needed cause you couldn't use bow as a kid, in TP it was just a plot device so you could get past the 2 hour long intro.

This game had a way of limiting you and forcing you around, then abruptly stopping you in the middle of doing what you were already being forced to do, to kill those stupid twlight guards so you can create a portal. That is no way fun.

The combat didn't seem fluid, it felt clunky. That chime and breif pause of time when you sword hit an enemy, just made it worse, not exciting.

The bosses presented themselves well, but when I get back handed by a dragon then fall 300 feet, Link should DIE, or HURT MUCH, not 1 heart of damage. The bosses felt repetitive and linear in the same measure. All the bosses were puzzles, solve , latch on or not, slash weak spot, repeat. I think Zant was the only boss i half way liked fighting.

The music, i dont' get the grief about it, I actually thought TP had a very good arrangement of music. Well except for the twilight musics. And the howl stones were bleh, lets howl the the n64 songs and see who notices.

The visual appeal of the game was pretty good too, the zora's helments were freaky though. I personally disliked the moblins oddly cartoonish design in contrast to their world. And enemies exploding wind waker style also contrasted oddly.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I never liked the controls. Ever. They were really choppy, all you had to do was swing your Wii Remote around. I also never liked having to point the Wii Remote at the screen to use most of your items, I like the Skyward Sword controls MUCH better, you don't have to do as much of that stuff. :clap:

This is why one plays the GameCube version.

But anyways, I absolutely love Twilight Princess. It is my favorite Zelda game. It had a great story, I loved the graphics, and the dungeons were very creative. It was a bit too easy, but I don't consider that a major flaw.

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
I loved TP. Nuff' said. The story was cool, items, dungeons, locations, bosses, characters, graphics, enemies, etc, I think it was a, yet again, a great Zelda- adventure.
But I dunno, I might've not enjoyed as much if I'd played it with Wii, but since I had the GameCube version, it was great. I think Nintendo should stick with 'regular' controls, instead of motion controls. I loved SS nonetheless, but motion controls just ain't my thing. And I'm sure many folks agree with me.
One of my favourite Zeldas thus far, if even not the absolute favourite. Perhaps.

1.TOO MANY ITEMS!!! Dominion rod? no thanks. Slingshot? no need. fishing rod? no use. spinner? no way. but the spinner was fun
2.HYRULE FIELD IS TOO BIG. its a big field with nothing to do in it. yay.
3.TOO EASY. i literally let a monster hit me a bunch of times. it took him a while, but just standing there doing nothing, i got 2 hearts out of me. ooooh

1. I think it was fun having different items, even if they weren't really that useful. It didn't bother me, even though if they were useless. No, I think they were a lot of fun actually.
2. Would you rather enjoy an extremely small Hyrule Field with very strict paths, and nothing to explore? No, I LOVE huge overworlds.
3. That doesn't make it a bad game. I for one, did have problems with few of the bosses, but I guess it depends on the person.

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I loved TP. Nuff' said. The story was cool, items, dungeons, locations, bosses, characters, graphics, enemies, etc, I think it was a, yet again, a great Zelda- adventure.
But I dunno, I might've not enjoyed as much if I'd played it with Wii, but since I had the GameCube version, it was great. I think Nintendo should stick with 'regular' controls, instead of motion controls. I loved SS nonetheless, but motion controls just ain't my thing. And I'm sure many folks agree with me.
One of my favourite Zeldas thus far, if even not the absolute favourite. Perhaps.

1. I think it was fun having different items, even if they weren't really that useful. It didn't bother me, even though if they were useless. No, I think they were a lot of fun actually.
2. Would you rather enjoy an extremely small Hyrule Field with very strict paths, and nothing to explore? No, I LOVE huge overworlds.
3. That doesn't make it a bad game. I for one, did have problems with few of the bosses, but I guess it depends on the person.
I think the general complaint about the items isn't that they have so little use, its that they are so use specific, and there so few instances it lets you use them, example the dominion rod could only be used on those statues, and the spinner needed the grooves in the wall.
The field, you couldn't explore, all the bridges were missing.

Twilight Princess is a very interesting case. It wasn't the best game in the franchise but it didn't need to be. Twilight Princess stayed true to the fundamental aspects of the franchise and even improved on some.

Twilight Princess came at a time when most fans were doubting Nintendo. The Gamecube was definitely cutting edge technology as the Spaceworld 2001 demo showcased, however, it seemed that the company was heading in the completely opposite direction with The Wind Waker. Sure previous Zelda games were rated "E" for everyone but their style and content especially the original trilogy and Majora's Mask were directed towards a more general even mature audience. The Wind Waker seemed like a truly "kiddie" break from tradition. In retrospect we all know that wasn't true but that's what it seemed to exaggerating fans at the time. It's no surprise then that the announcement of what would be Twilight Princess brought so much craze at E3 2004. Whether or not the game fulfilled on its promises, however, is a different story entirely.

Despite being somewhat different than its beta version, Twilight Princess in its final form retained the gritty characteristics it had when it was first announced over two years before. The game wasn't shy to include sexual references with such characters as Ilia and Midna throughout. It's also been long disputed whether there actually was blood shown upon Ganondorf's death. But let's not get off track as that information is superfluous in regards to this thread. Twilight Princess had a staggering 10 dungeons if you count the Cave or Ordeals! That's a big deal. Only A Link to the Past had more dungeons. And it wasn't just quantity, it was quality. Despite fan complaints, the puzzles in Twilight Princess were top notch and arguably better than those with which the title gets the most direct comparisons-Ocarina of Time. Bosses were massive, of a scope never before seen in franchise history and certainly for the better. The overworld was connected and diverse in the variety of regions to explore. It was also nice to take a romp through Hyrule ridig on Epona once more. Twilight Princess may not be my favorite installment but there's no denying it's not only a great Zelda game but also a fantastic videogame.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I don't know why anyone would dislike Twilight Princess. In my opinion, controls are good, combat is fun, immersing story(most important), nice art style, and side quests. What more could you want?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I'm not saying the art was bad, infact the art was very top notch, I had no issues with the controls. The combat, the story, and the flow, were the problems. Infact the story wasn't entirely bad, but for an "epic" you can't have your hero's deeds completely unnoticed, that whole no one was aware of the problems distracted from quest you were undertaking. (Also don't call Link the chosen here in the first section of the game, thats just plain pandering, the player needs to discover they are the hero, not just oh look i'm the chosen one)

The combat, again, it wasn't fun, there was no danger, and the game time literally paused when ever you hit something with your sword, and the chiming it made. (Question? Did that return in Skyward Sword? I hope not).

Everything about the game was designed to disrupt its own flow (from all the twilight guards you gota kill to make portal spots, to pausing time in combat for chiming noises, finding light bugs, to all the bridges are missing), I don't know a better way to explain that then what i've already said. Thats the biggest reason it wasn't fun, combined with the novice friendly combat, it was hard to find it, fun.

L

LovesZeldaGames

Twilight Princess, Hate It, No. Like It, Yes.
I thought that this is one of the best, but it did have some major flaws in my opinion. The music was a big letdown and where my ocarina/musical instrument only thing close was horse charm.

Wolf was pretty good especially when used well, could have had more attacks but still pretty good.The digging was cool, especially for new areas. Loved the part when Midna lands on him and looks menacingly at her.

Items ,So were awesome Like the hawkeye combo or bomb arrow combo. Only the slingshot I didn't really like that much and that was because its lack of usability. Spinner would have been nice if it stay fast a lit longer or able to make go fast with is spin attack, and i loved the ball and chain. Clawshots were cool but dude seriously its like You got a clawshot, and now you got another one should have been one item from the start.

Probably one of if not the best graphics I've seen in Zelda game.Marvelous environments though some were a bit washed out.Also for the sheer size could have been a bit more lively.

Supporting characters not that good except for perhaps Midna and maybe Colin.

I little bit too easy on the fighting side and not quite enough puzzles. Minigames/Sidequests almost non-existant and quite annnoying when you did have to do them,some of them anyway.
Loved the hidden skills.

Like I said before one of the best Zelda games. Apart from a few flaws amazing.Truly Amazing.
And If you read all of what I said Congrats and thank you for reading.

L

Legendary 1998

I just think it is way too easy...........................
WAIT!!! I am playing the wii version, don't blame me.:)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Nope, don't hate it. I really enjoyed TP. Maybe it's the OoT fangirl in me, but it really brought the OoT feel for me :)

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
I think the general complaint about the items isn't that they have so little use, its that they are so use specific, and there so few instances it lets you use them, example the dominion rod could only be used on those statues, and the spinner needed the grooves in the wall.
The field, you couldn't explore, all the bridges were missing.

Yes, as I said, most of the items were useless, but in MY opinion they were fun, and I tried to use them in every possible way, usually resulting in a: "Ha can't use that one either here." but that didn't matter. Because I LIKED the items.
You could explore quite a big portion in the beginning of the game if you were one of those I-like-to-run-around-with-no-apparent-reason-because-it's-fun- types of gamers, there's nothing to complain about.
And if you weren't one of those types, just "Meh, I'm gonna wait, 'till it gets bigger", etc: once progressed through the game a bit more, BANG, the entire overworld was yours to explore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom