• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Ever Stop to Admire the Background?

Ghosi

Schmetterling
As strange as it is, I usually play my old files on games that I am done with. One of these games is the Legen of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The game had beautiful graphics. That is a fact that is undeniable. From Zora's Domain, to the Sacred Grove, to even Hyrule Field, everything was absolutely beautiful. Here is my question though; Do you ever stop to admire it? On my game, I would ususally be found at the Gerudo Desert or Lake Hylia, waiting for night to fall, and sun to rise. Unfortunately, some gamers never really stop and look around at places. They are too obsessed with completing the game.

So, do you ever stop for a few minutes in a video game, and admire the beauty of the places it offers?

I did stop when I saw Hyrule Castle at dusk for the first time. Although that might have been a plot point, I forget.

But yeah that was beautiful, and I'm not surprised that it was practically the only thing visible in the background of the SSBB stage.

And I might have done it elsewhere but I'm not sure. Only TP springs to mind when I think "beautiful scenery" in Zelda games, Wind Waker almost makes it but usually you looked out over water. Other games do it a lot more though, Mass Effect is the most definite in my mind.

Retsdob

Retsdob
I beleive that it is good to admire the graphic design to a degree, I wouldn't say for a few minutes but I definatly admire it.
In a way this is kind of reflecting one's lifestyle:
Do you rapidly go through life as though trying to complete it? Or do you stop and admire the beauty.
In another way, a video-game isn't life and people play videogames just to do it differently then the way they live life. I definatly don't live life in the way I play video games.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I do that a lot in video games, especially any Zelda games and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Djinn

and Tonic
I used to do this constantly in Wind Waker. I would normally break out the telescope and look all around an island for a while before actually stopping and landing on it. I have done it quite a bit in OoT and TP as well. I am normally very interested in the world around me while wandering. Usually on the lookout for various secret areas but I like watching NPC's do things from time to time.

Dragon Quest 8, Okami, Grandia, Wild Arms 4 and 5, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, just about any game that gives you the ability I will take the time out to look around at the fantasy landscape. I do this all the time.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I love to do that, especially at a particually beautiful or well done area. i also enjo getting an item like the Hawkeye or the Telescope becasue I can take a look around and take in even more. I noticed myself doing this a ton in Wind Waker and and Twilight Princess.

Beeker

Wild Card
I do this a lot in TP. Sometimes I turn on the game just to noodle around, and sometimes I just stop and look at Hyrule Castles, especially after the barrier's down. It looks beautiful.

Last playthrough I stopped and looked at a lot of the little details, and I love them. The scenery is one of the things that drew me into Zelda- I thought Hyrule looked beautiful and actually wished it was a real place.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
The last time I played Twilight Princess, I did this a lot in the fishing hole. It's a particularly fun place to do this since its seasons change. I also love little details in games, and Hena is responsible for a lot of cute remarks. One of my favorites actually relates to this topic - if you look out the window of her hut, she says, "Aw, if you're wondering what things look like outside, why don't you just go out and see for yourself?"

But in general, yes, I like to press "C" or "up" and just look around the area to see its design - especially in dungeons. Some of them may not be typically beautiful but they have their own charm.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
It's one of the most common things I do in Zelda games. I do it a lot in Halo as well.

Same here. I was in awe the first time I played the 2nd level in Halo when you first land from the Pillar of Autumn, seeing the ring up in the sky directly above, and how it broadens as you look down to the horizon. Assault on the Control Room/Two Betrayals had some beautiful scenery too.

Same goes with Zelda. Even after dozens of OoT playthroughs I always go into 1st person view to admire the scenery, particularly when I go to Lake Hylia & Death Mountain Trail. MM I always look up at Woodfall or out into the Great Bay when I'm at those areas.

Jedizora

:right:
I do it hylian lake from TP. I also do it in Halo reach and in the second level of noki bay from super mario sunshine. The water may be poisoned, but it still is awesome looking.

I've done this quite a few times through my playthroughs of the Zelda games. Though I never actually stop to look around, I do go to Hyrule CastleTown on foot rather than warp because I enjoy looking at the different areas in Hyrule field in Twilight Princess. Then there was the barrier around Hyrule Castle, as well. I would go into that one building with the gorons in Hyrule CastleTown to look at it. Often time I found myself looking around Lake Hylia, and even the Twilight when it's in the area. I only remember one moment I had in Ocarina of Time, and that was when you first exit the Temple of Time after pulling out the Master Sword to see that red demonic cloud above Death Mountain. The Wind Waker probably made me stop most out of all of them. The cel-shading was just so beautiful that I stopped often just to look around. The fairy fountains looked nice especially.

Kybyrian

Honestly, I don't really tend to stop and admire the background in any game that I play. Occasionally I will take notice of some things and think, "That looks good" or, "Wow, that's beautiful" or something of the sort, but I never really stop to admire anything. I've only really had one occasion of doing this that I can recall, and that is, in fact, in Twilight Princess. Lake Hylia was one of the more beautiful places in the game, and I would actually stop and look at it sometimes or just swim around in the lake or mess around doing whatever. Other than that, no, I never really enjoy the scenery in any game that I play, nor Zelda games.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I do it all the time on consul games.

In Ocarina of time, as kid Link, I'll go to Lon Lon ranch and just throw my boomerang in the air because it's such a serene atmosphere.

In Majora's Mask, I'm always in aw at the environment, especially Zora hall.

And I can't tell you how many times in TP that I'll go to lake Hylia, Zora Domain, or the Fishing Grove just to admire the beautiful atmosphere. Especially Lake Hylia at Sunrise and Sunset. It is a very beautiful scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom