• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you believe that platonic relationships are genuine?

Is platonic love/friendship genuine?

• Yes they are!

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No, platonic relationships are bull****.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I...do not care.

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Could you be friends with them knowing you'll never smash them and making choices not to smash them?
I think the wanting to smash would never go away, but I could live without smashing if there was some things that I typically only have had in common with dudes to this point.

Trying to think of examples in my head of how this would work since I've actually not really experienced a "friendship" with a girl I wasn't smashing or trying to smash.

Honestly maybe I just haven't met the type of girl I could be friends with, but I'm skeptical. Doesn't matter anyway, I'm married now and my wife would never let me hang out with girls long enough to become friends with them. I did meet some hardcore Tekken playing girls recently which actually blew my mind since my whole life that was basically unheard of until now. If I had such a huge common interest like that I think I could definitely accept just being friends, but I think at that point it would be more the game keeping us friends rather than an actual friendship.

TL DR

who the frick knows? Not I.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Why are we assuming that relationships with people their own age as well?

For example, it would be very unlikely that @Vanessa28 and I would ever have sexual feelings towards each other. There is such a huge age difference, that would never cross our minds, and yet we both enjoy each other's company as well.

That doesn't matter. There is a 25 year age gap between my grandparents and it is not unheard of for couples to have an even bigger age gap.

I think especially for the older person the thought would indeed cross their mind.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I in no way disagree. I would simply answer that if something is not the norm, it is not worth making definition, law, or dwelling upon in any particular way. There are also friendships in which sex occurs but there isn't romance attached. I would argue that sort of relationship requires some sort of new definition.

Depending on the scenario, I would suspect they differ in what the person will complain about and say. I suspect you'll find the complaints of the romantic differ greatly from the complaints of the platonic so much so as to be entirely different beasts.

I think a jealous bezzie in a platonic relationship would not mind their special friend having sex with someone so long as that person was not viewed as a threat to their best friendship.

I think a romantic partner would however even if neither partner had sex with each other. I know sex and romance are not mutually exclusive and you can have sex without being romantically involved, as booty calls and friends with benefits are quite common. However I feel romance isn't romance and without the elements of either sex, sexual attraction or sexual jealousy.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Of course platonic relationships do exist. I had a very close platonic relationship with a former coworker of mine but we never ever had these romantic feelings for each other. In fact I have more male friends I can get along with but nothing more. I can get along with @Lozjam very well and enjoy him being around on both skype and ZD and I like to keep it that way. We can talk about everything but there's no desire to have anything more from both sides. I can understand Deus point but not everybody wants more out of a platonic relationship. I don't think a platonic relationship will last long if someone else desires for a bit more.

Of course platonic relationships do exist. I had a very close platonic relationship with a former coworker of mine but we never ever had these romantic feelings for each other. In fact I have more male friends I can get along with but nothing more. I can get along with @Lozjam very well and enjoy him being around on both skype and ZD and I like to keep it that way. We can talk about everything but there's no desire to have anything more from both sides. I can understand Deus point but not everybody wants more out of a platonic relationship. I don't think a platonic relationship will last long if someone else desires for a bit more.
Online relationships are a bit different, no? Also how SURE are you that there is no romantic feelings from your co-worker?

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I really like a lot of ZD friends I've got.
Platonic relationships exist.
Platonic friendships exist.
Platonic turkey relationships exist.
@Lozjam clean your room.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I studied psychology as an A level in school and one of our modules was relationship psychology. If I recall correctly location is a huge factor in deciding on a partner. In yours and Lozjams case being separated by a vast ocean it wouldn't be advantageous to seriously consider something more.

Dan

I want to "SMASH" "BANG" "FIRETRUCK" "GOLANDA" all my online friends! I know you all want to as well, stop hiding it under the covers.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I really like a lot of ZD friends I've got.
Platonic relationships exist.
Platonic friendships exist.
Platonic turkey relationships exist.
@Lozjam clean your room.
But.... But..... I don't have a room anymore! You rented out my room out to turkeys when I went away to college this year!
I studied psychology as an A level in school and one of our modules was relationship psychology. If I recall correctly location is a huge factor in deciding on a partner. In yours and Lozjams case being separated by a vast ocean it wouldn't be advantageous to seriously consider something more.
Well that means we have a platonic relationship does it not?

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Platonic turkey relationships are not the kind YOU engage in though are they.

I've never held any sexual or even romantic feelings for turkeys, but admittedly I find myself obsessed with how extremely cute they are.
KellyBronze-turkeys-007.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom