• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #013: Is Arbiter's Grounds the Spirit Temple?

(Listen Along) Arbiter's Grounds Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=755

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. Two of the best Zelda dungeons could actually be the same thing?! Well, that's what this theory is, is the Spirit Temple and Arbiter's Grounds the same place? Let's look...

The Spirit Temple from Ocarina of Time is arguably one of the best dungeons around. Nice layout, nice puzzles and a pretty damn awesome boss battle. The same goes with Arbiter's Grounds from Twilight Princess, awesome dungeon item, amazing objectives and one of the best boss battles from anything ever. Now, think about it, they are both in the exact same location in both games. There's a 100 year gap in-between, so there was time for it to change. Let's get some evidence....

Apart from the fact they're at the same geographical place, in the far end of the desert. They also both hold the presence of the Goddess of Sand, the same Goddess of Sand. But still, it doesn't mean that they're the same dungeon. But there's one last piece of evidence.

In the Spirit Temple, to get to Twinrova's lair you need to reflect the light of a big mirror. This mirror is very similar to the mirror from Arbiter's Grounds. But the thing is, the mirror from Arbiter's Ground was the mirror that Ganondorf got banished through, and where Minda left. The mirror in the Spirit Temple is just there for the sake of the puzzle, no story behind it.

But whatever. This is only a short article, but the theory itself has a big meaning. Post guys what you think below, and whenever I return to the article before I write the next one, I read everything you post. Everything. Anyway, have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I don't think they're exactly the same. If you think about it, the Spirit Temple was a place of worship (?) for the Gerudo tribe. It was honorary. So why, even after a century, would people make the temple a place for prisoners. With all the corpses and dead things in there, they must've been dead for at least a century (right?). I'm not sure why the Goddess of Sand is in there...Perhaps it is the Spirit Temple, but The Goddess of Sand could be a statue of honour. There's nothing wrong if you put a honourary statue in a dungeon (?). Anyhow, it's an interesting theory and it, like all theories, should be explored deeper into.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I don't think they're exactly the same. If you think about it, the Spirit Temple was a place of worship (?) for the Gerudo tribe. It was honorary. So why, even after a century, would people make the temple a place for prisoners.

The first time I ever saw the theory that these two dungeons were one and the same I really wanted to believe it. There are good points which suggest it, like the ones GreenGyser stated and I'd like to address the issue you brought up with some speculation.

After Link warned Zelda of Ganondorf at the end of Ocarina of Time, I believe there was a war between the Hylians and the Gerudo. The result was the Gerudo's utter defeat. The absence of the Gerudo Fortress could hint that the Hylians destoryed it during the war and, in this context, I see the Spirit Temple being turned into a prison as a form of cultural desecration on the part of the Hylians. As the war progressed and they took more prisoners, they'd need somewhere to put them and using the Gerudo's Spirit Temple to do it would also serve the purpose of demoralising the remaining Gerudo, perhaps to encourage a surrender.

This is just speculation, as I said, but stranger things have happened.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I believe that this was brought up in podcast eighteen. ColonelMajora said that the Arbiters grounds was a prison for the Gerudo. Why would the internal area of the spirit temple be used as a prison? Maybe the Hylians tore the spirit temple down and built up a prison. I never noticed the two mirrors... so maybe it is the same place?:thinking:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
They also both hold the presence of the Goddess of Sand, the same Goddess of Sand.

First off, in OoT, they don't actually say it's the Goddess of Sand. We can assume this, but it was never mentioned. Second, I don't remember there being anything relating to a goddess in the Arbitur's Grounds. Remember, AG was a prison. I don't think the Hylians would desacrete a Temple and turn it into a prison.

In the Spirit Temple, to get to Twinrova's lair you need to reflect the light of a big mirror. This mirror is very similar to the mirror from Arbiter's Grounds. But the thing is, the mirror from Arbiter's Ground was the mirror that Ganondorf got banished through, and where Minda left. The mirror in the Spirit Temple is just there for the sake of the puzzle, no story behind it.

Also remember that the Spirit Temple mirror is much larger than the Twilight Mirror in TP. Also, Ganondorf got sealed by the mirror, not in it. A portal was on a large rock at the top of the Arbiter's Ground.

I think that the Arbiter's Grounds could possibly be the old Lanayru Mining Facility from Skyward Sword. They both have a circular, step-level style and the Arbiter's Grounds has the Spinner, which seems to be on the higher grade of technology like the Lanayru Robots and everything else in the Mining Facility.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Second, I don't remember there being anything relating to a goddess in the Arbitur's Grounds.

389.png

Screenshot of a statue of the Goddess of Sand in the Arbiter's Grounds. There's another in the Mirror Chamber.

jack546

The chosen one
I think it is also possible that the eastern palace could also be the eastern palace from a link to the past.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I believe this theory is legitimate. They are located in the exact same place, so what else could it be, and where would the Spirit Temple have gone?

As for the variation in purposes (worship, and a prison) the temple could've been changed into a prison after hostility erupted between the Gerudo. After all, they are all gone in Twilight Princess, so we don't know what happened to the Temple

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I think it is a very likely theory, as both buildings are in the same aproximate location and both hold similiar themes and icons, namely the Goddess of Sand. Also, I would like to add that the temple's transformation into a prison isn't a ludacris idea. Many places of worship have been changed in the same way. The most famous example I can think of is Hagia Sofia, a mosque in Istanbul, Turkey. Once, it was a Chirstian church, but was repurposed into a mosque after the Ottomans conquered Costantinople ( now named Istanbul). You can even still see remnants of Christian symbols in the Isalmic house of worship, even though it no longer is a church.

Big Octo

=^)
I firmly believe that they are not the same.

The topic of the Goddess of Sand doesn't automatically point to the two dungeons being the same. It's the desert, what else would expect? And the mirrors? There's no way that mirror in the Spirit Temple could be the same as the Mirror of Twilight, the physical appearance and purpose drive the thought into the ground. The Hylians, assuming that they'd be the good people that they are, would have no intention of demolishing a house of worship to make a prison to torture dangerous criminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom