• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Different Temple Types?

TheSerpent

The Happy Mask Salesman
I, personally, am getting bored of the same "water, fire, grass/earth, sky/wind" pattern with the temples. Sometimes they scatter a few different ones, like the shadow temple in OoT, and the temple of time from TP. But do you think that nintendo needs different temples? Like maybe ones that vary with the environment it is placed it? Or at least different "elements" like poison or rock? (pokemon, anyone? :D)

On one hand I would say that the themed temples were accustumed to are reliable. But yes change would be nice as long as it's done correctly. I don't really consider oot forest temple a temple but more of a castle. So if they went with the idea of a castle in a forest they could really expand on it with a complex series of tunnels and secret rooms and possibly a cool moat type drainage system. Fire temple I would consider a temple as well as water. But shadow is a crypt. They just need to stop limiting themselves to "elements" and start to get a big picture or concept to use like the goron mines which was significantly more fun to play than TP's Forest or Water temples in my opinion

Austin

Austin
I've posted this idea before, but I think it'd be cool if there was a dungeon scattered about a town. What I mean is, the town is entirely ordinary except for several dungeons/caves around or in it that contain the usual dungeon neccesities, keys, dungeon map, compass, item, etc. Sort of like how the third dungeon in ALttP was scattered about the Skull Woods.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I've posted this idea before, but I think it'd be cool if there was a dungeon scattered about a town. What I mean is, the town is entirely ordinary except for several dungeons/caves around or in it that contain the usual dungeon neccesities, keys, dungeon map, compass, item, etc. Sort of like how the third dungeon in ALttP was scattered about the Skull Woods.

On one hand I would say that the themed temples were accustumed to are reliable. But yes change would be nice as long as it's done correctly. I don't really consider oot forest temple a temple but more of a castle. So if they went with the idea of a castle in a forest they could really expand on it with a complex series of tunnels and secret rooms and possibly a cool moat type drainage system. Fire temple I would consider a temple as well as water. But shadow is a crypt. They just need to stop limiting themselves to "elements" and start to get a big picture or concept to use like the goron mines which was significantly more fun to play than TP's Forest or Water temples in my opinion

Agreed. Nintendo can keep using the elemental themes, but at the same time I think they should use more unique themes like locations (castle in the forest, town dungeon, maybe a crypt in the desert?). For instance, they could incorperate elements into the dungeons but at the same time use unique locations as themes.

And I for one, think that multi entrance dungeons would be fantastic. That's the thing I loved so much about Skull Woods in ALttP: it had multiple entrances and thus more ways to complete it as well as boosting the difficulty.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
A multi-entrance dungeon in an ocean, where you have to swim around looking for sunken ships and then battle up or down the different levels of the ship. It would still count as a "water dungeon" but could have both water creatures as well as ghosts in it. Also? For once there would be a reason to find treasure in a chest. And then I'm picturing the boss key literally releasing the boss by opening a chest that contains the cursed spirit of the captain of the ship.

I really liked Snowpeak Mansion in Twilight Princess. It would probably be too soon to do another house, but if there were, a kind of haunted house would be nice, like the Winchester Mystery House. That's the one in San Jose where the owner supposedly believed the spirits that killed her family were coming after her, so she built an amazingly massive mansion with lots of crazy twists and turns, such as staircases leading up to the ceiling, so that the spirits wold get lost trying to find her. Though I'm terrible at mazes - I'd be horrible at my own dungeon. *sheepish*

Eta: Never played WindWaker, but I know it is water-based, so I'm not sure how closely the ocean dungeon would resemble anything in it.

Eta 2: Changed "San Diego" to "San Jose." Oops.

Last edited:

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
While I don't think there's anything wrong with the usual 'forest' and 'fire' temples, I would like to see different or these more unique themes. The idea of the castle in the forest sounds really cool to me. I think taking what we already have and making it more than just a 'fire' temple, etc. Somewhat like the Great Bay Temple. It was a water temple, but with the whole direction of flow stuff, it definately made the place more challenging and interesting.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I've mentioned as much in some other threads but I would like to see some different dungeon types, Zelda could still stick to it's roots even if the themes of the dungeons were drastically changed. As long as it has dungeons. For example, they often make dungeons that relect some kind of element forest->fire->water. I would like to see an original spin on this concept, perhaps they could make some new regions like a jungle or like PJDEP said dugeons scattered around a town isn't something Zelda has really focused on. I mean there was the sewers in TP but that was nothing, hardly a challenge and certainly not worth note as a dungeon.

If they did decide to make a new town with lots of secrets and a few dungeons as well, then I would be ecstatic! They could easily make a full lenght sewer dungeon, a tower in the town could provide another dungeon. and if the city was seaside they could probably even make some caves below the city, not to mention catacombs and connected basements. The byways of the under city provide ample space and variation, enough to create a few dungeons im sure.

Z

zeroxgen

NEW TEMPLE IS NEEDED. Something like eletric or maybe something thats NOT an element like goron mines. Wind waker was pretty good such as forsaken fortress or tower of the gods.

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
I agree that the temples just repeat itself over and over again. I really liked the originality of all the dungeons after the three main (and boring) ones. I think that they should create temples that blow you away however, still having some old type temples with way different playing features. Making the theme more realistic (like the Forest Temple should be actually held in a forest with no rooms but rocks and vines as doors etc).

B

BigHeadLink

I think that they should continue to have the first three temples being forest, fire, and water, but then after the plot twist, they should change it up and try some new things for the temples that they haven't done before.

haha that would be awesome. I would play that. It could make references to classic zelda. and you would go into a 2d room. that would be funny. If they took it seriously though, I wonder how long it would take me to figure out it was the first level. I'd know right away......that's pitiful lol

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
If change is to be made to the dungeons, I think it needs to step away from the various elemental themes. Simply choosing different elements will get old, and in the end, it's still the same as before.. just with different elements.

I think a great way of bringing about change would be focusing on older elements- specifically, items obtained in the dungeons. In older games, you'd obtain the item and use it not only in that dungeon, but also in the ones to come. This has been disappearing from Zelda, and I think a great way of bringing it back would be by changing the dungeon types. Example:

Say in one dungeon the theme is accuracy. Say you already have the bow by the time you reach this dungeon, and in it, you obtain the hookshot. Two classic items that should always be in Zelda. Or make it a double claw shot like in TP. So, a great thing that could be done would to implement the floor-changing function found in games like MM and LA and ALttP. Change the floor, something moves, you have to shoot a target or switch with your arrow spot on (accuracy). This moves something else, you must accurately grapple an item to move to the next spot and quickly and accurately shoot the next target or switch before a timer runs out. It'd all fall on your accuracy. It'd bring about change, it'd bring back item usefulness, and it'd work great with Wii Motion Plus.

Other themes might be strength or speed- figure the Phantom Ganon fight where you have to hit the ball of energy back. Wouldn't it be neat if it actually got pretty fast? The Wii Motion Plus can gauge how fast and how hard you're swinging the controller.

I think something like the above would be great changes to the first three dungeons. For the others, I think putting less focus on elemental themes would be just as good. Perhaps making one level a true labyrinth would be cool (and possibly frustrating). Something mind-boggling like MM's Stone Tower needs to be implemented to make things feel a little more unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom