• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did They Go a Little Too Far?

lilwilly

Swordless Link
Now. The new deal about the motion is probably a little to much? I mean with directional swings. The watchdoors and other thing sure to come. The motion does not need to be so big with it. I think it was to much. Enough to make it almost boring.:dry::shake:

R

rubiick

well we don't know how the final product is going to end, but one thing it's sure, everyone's going to play it

Djinn

and Tonic
The motion not nearly as much as having to pick things out of your virtual pocket. They still have not sold me on that one and I cannot really think of how that could add to gameplay. It just sounds like it would get old after a while.

not really that it would be boring, but more like annoying. Not talking about it not responding, but like getting tired out when all you want to do is play a relaxing video game. I'm not quite sure if I would like to do all the motions for hours...

David

But you called me here...
Could you please clarify what you're trying to say? Where are you trying to get at with the Wii Motion Plus? Are you saying that they never should have done it and to make the wii motion controls inadequate? Wii Motion Plus is Nintendo's way of improving what they started. They always intended for one to one motion in their console. It just took them longer to come out with it. They had to launch the Wii because the Game Cube wouldn't last them another Christmas in revenue. The Wii was almost released in its incomplete state. Wii Motion Plus was later released after they had perfected one to one motion with the wii remote.

Skyward Sword is going to be incredibly fun with the one to one motion. I personally think that the same exact slashes, in the same exact order is what is getting boring. With the Wii Motion Plus, i'll be able to make Link do what I want and not have to rely on the game's engine to do the slash that I want. Wii Motion Plus makes me Link, not the computer and the paddle. The Wii Motion Plus is going to be a huge step for the Zelda series and will make the game way more enjoyable. You just have to give it a chance and not be so skeptical until you can truly make the call after playing through the entire game.

Djinn

and Tonic
not really that it would be boring, but more like annoying. Not talking about it not responding, but like getting tired out when all you want to do is play a relaxing video game. I'm not quite sure if I would like to do all the motions for hours...

That was my thought exactly. Sure the Wii motion would be fun at first but over time it would become tiring. After a couple hours of play I might not want to swing the nunchuck around anymore. Getting tennis elbow from countless hours of gaming would be ridiculous. (Or would that be gamer's elbow now? Maybe Zelda Elbow) And sometimes I would just want to come home and play a game and not actually have to pretend to be Link and attack invisible monsters in my livingroom. I might just want to sit around and play a game for a while. A controller should not have to be outdated technology.

J

jack-o-lantern

Well some times I feel like people may over exaggerate on the controls a little. I don't know if you have ever played Wii Sports Resort swordplay, but if you haven't, it really doesn't have to be as active if you don't want it to be. I too had this same fear, but I found that the swordplay can be easily played on a couch. You dont have to stand, and you don't have to go all out to play this game. Since playing WSR, I no longer have this fear.

There is a topic similar to this, already in this forum, but I think you widen the original topic abit... Heres what I said in that other thread

I am an advocate for making the Zelda games harder, but at the same time I think I should clarify. Should a game be difficult to play because of the physical controls, or should a game be difficult to play because enemies are genuinely hard? I do not think the controls should be what makes the game hard. I think the game taxing your methods of thinking, Not knowing an enemies weak spot, puzzles, and other mind intensive apsects is what should make a Zelda game hard... Not ones ability to use the controller.

You should not be physically exhausted after playing Zelda, and your frustrations should not occur because you cant seem to hold/swing the controller the exact 'correct' way. Especially given the free range the wii motion plus gives you. While being physically exhausted would be representative of Link's struggle if he were to be in the real world. I do not think that the physical exhaustion should carry over along with the players experience. Especially when most people are looking to games as a way to wind down.

I do think we might be going to far with motion in general. Its all apart of the "lets get america skinny again" thought process... Get yourself moving while doing typically sedentary tasks. But I work all day, and when I want to come home and relax, I would like to sit and relax. Not have to get up and move to evade a boss/enemy.

Please just listen to jack-o-lantern, because he's made a very good point. Having played Wii Sports Resort myself I really think that after a while of getting to know the controls, you really do not have to be standing on your feet and moving like crazy to defeat your enemies in Skyward Sword. All you have to do is move the Wiimote in the direction you want Link to be hitting on is enemies. I am very confident that after some time it won't be tiring or annoying but just pure fun, because you will get a more in-depth-feeling of acutally being in the game as Link while exploring new areas.

Please do not worry about the controls, because they really are a big improvement and they will fit just fine. I just know.

Beeker

Wild Card
Skyward Sword is going to be incredibly fun with the one to one motion. I personally think that the same exact slashes, in the same exact order is what is getting boring. With the Wii Motion Plus, i'll be able to make Link do what I want and not have to rely on the game's engine to do the slash that I want. Wii Motion Plus makes me Link, not the computer and the paddle. The Wii Motion Plus is going to be a huge step for the Zelda series and will make the game way more enjoyable. You just have to give it a chance and not be so skeptical until you can truly make the call after playing through the entire game.

This.

What they are trying to do with Skyward Sword is enhance the experience for the player, and, like Hero of Music, I think the Motion Plus will make a huge step for that. You'll have to think about what ways to slash at an enemy instead of button mashing the same bunch of moves. I don't think it's going too far at all, it could possibly be the right step to take for the Zelda series.

I also agree with jack-o-lantern. I play Wii Sports Resort just like that(sitting down), and it isn't really a problem. Sure, some people may want to go all out and stand, but I think it will be playable sitting down as well. Whatever feels more comfortable for the player, I guess.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
I see what you're saying. I have played some games in the past that "boasted" their "superior technology" way too much.

Nintendo is very happy about the Wii Motion Plus, and I agree that it's a great achievement. And I fear the same as you, I fear that SS will be dictated by sword swinging for the majority of the time. I don't want to see all of the bosses being killed with mostly the sword just because SS has the Wii motion plus. Likewise, I don't want to see all of the enemies and puzzles being solved by mostly the sword because of the Wii motion plus.

The wii motion plus will be very fun, yes, but if they take the time to engrave that technology in most of the other items in the game creatively, they will create an unforgettable experience.

And like everyone else is saying, we have no idea what the final product is yet so it could swing either way(no pun intended). I have never seen a Nintendo game "boast" their technology in a game before and I hope they won't start now.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing(and in this case, an extremely boring thing). So positive thoughts everyone, positive thoughts =P.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Umm, motion controls are what the Wii is made for. And really, we can't be sure on how it'll play out until we've played it for ourselves, but I've gone around and I've seen mostly positive thoughts on the motion controls.

Honestly, I don't think they went too far. I personally think that the motion controls are a nice way of bringing a freshness to the series while still staying true to it's roots.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
What are you saying basically? More movement is less fun?? Here, which is better, mindless waggling or the freedom to swing, slash, thrust, hold and spin your sword in virtually any direction possible? What do you mean more motion is boring? More motion gives the players more freedom to play and experience the game. More motion is probably better for Skyward Sword. More motion made Red Steel 2 a great hit. Same goes with Wii Sports Resort.

They said they focused entirely on combat for the demo. There will be TONS of places where you don't have to swing your sword around. REMEMBER THAT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom