• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did They Go a Little Too Far?

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I miss classic gaming, I probably always will. But I am really excited for the motion gaming. I don't think they took too far. I'm one of those girls who like to get up and swing that Wii remote! Seriously, the neighbors can here my doing a battle cry in Wii sports resort. But the Wii will always be second best to classical things, but that's just me.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I disagree. More motion makes it more like you're Link, stressing his name that he's the link between you and the game. I am super excited for lots of motion control! I want to go into the video game industry and start my own company, and I love to see how things are evolving. I think that SS is a prime example.

@ StrangeWig
I totally understand with what your saying about our kid selves wanting a motion controller and thought how amazing and futuristic it would be. Honestly, I think there are two major reasons people don't want motion control.

1. Kids have a huge imagination. I remember using sticks as guns with my cousins, pretending we were army men or on an adventure to go kill a dragon. But when you get older you lose that, and motion controls, in my opinion, need imagination to connect the actions with the video game. Us older people are just thinking of the controller in a logical sense. We have to swing left to do something on the screen. Where as in kids are creatively connected with motion control, really putting themselves in the game. So us older generation I think are blocked by the purpose because we are logical thinkers now.

2. The biggest reason I believe is because Nintendo started motion controls with full force and with (bad) technology. The past five years Nintendo has put into everyone's mind that motion controls is bad, because quite frankly, they didn't work very well, and they felt tacked on the every possible game. This made motion control feel unnecessary, gimmicky, and really not all that fun to play, because it didn't work the way we thought it would. This I think, has left bitter feelings toward motion controls.

If Skyward Sword was the very first motion control game to ever come how and it had working motion plus technology, I really do think the rest of the world would have a lot more positive feelings toward motion control gaming.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No, this isn't going too far at all. I mean, come on, we're getting to (pretty much) truly be Link! I don't care if it would get tiring. That's part of it. Anyone who wants to complain about it can save it and come back later. Or pause it. I mean, come on, taking a break isn't a bad thing. And, if you can play Wii Sports for hours, you can do this. It's not like you have to go all out with the motions. Seriously, it's going to be like we're really there, and the action will be much more appreciated.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I honestly don't think they went too far. I view motion controls as the next step of the video game industry, we are one step closer to truly being inside video games. The only problem I have with SS is the bow I never learned how to use it just right in Wii Sports Resort, I hope there is an in-depth tutorial on how to use the bow. Oh and to those who complain that it will get tiring, I seriously doubt that. I have found ways to play Wii Sports Resort while laying on my bed I sure you guys can find a way to play SS without getting tired. The only way I could see SS getting tireing is if there is a Cave of Ordeals type place.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I am really excited about having motion controls. I can't wait to feel like I'm actually a part of the game. I hope it will be easier to walk in SS, cause it was very hard to get Link to walk slowly, the controller just felt like it was resisting it.

Kybyrian

I like the entire idea of motion controls and being able to get involved in the game, but there are a lot of people that sometimes don’t have the energy or just aren’t willing to get up and swing around while playing a video game. While it doesn’t bother me too much, I can see how some people would be turned away by how far they are going with the motion controls. I have a feeling it will bore some people after some time and even get annoying. Jo brought up good points explaining this... Let's just hope that the game will be accepted by some of our less active Zelda fans and the use of the motion controls isn't defined as too far by a lot of people. We'll just have to see what happens at release.

M

messymessiah

no way they didnt go to far. skyward sword is going to be amazing. its going to be zelda we love with some newer innovative gameplay mechanics. im not sure of the exact quote but dude said development is like 90% gameplay. im sure that all that time and effort on the behalf of the ppl who have never disapointed me will not equal fail.

J

Julz626

i think that the wii motion plus is a great feature and ive always have wanted 2 feel like Link, the hero and this will help add the little touch it needs! this is a great step on nintendos part in my opinion and im fine with taking a short break if it means more abortion in the game. Also this way u can feel the pain of tired ol Link and all his hard work.

S

skilarbabcock

well my opinion is no they did not go to far i mean whats the point of playing with a wii remote with motion sensors if all you do i swing and link not swinging the way it needs to.im really looking foward to skyward sword

Kaiser Kami

Warrior of Kaiser
They did not go too far...in fact for me it's just right. I've played many of the wii motion games and I had fun for the time being, and with the new motion controls plus the wii motion plus, the movement will be very fluid I think.

Y

Yamtendo

There are two parts to my opinion of Skyward Sword.

1) Wii Motion Plus sword fighting has only been done a few times, and the only time I feel like it's actually been fun for me was in Wii Sports Resort. I couldn't stand the motion sickness from Red Steel 2. That totally blows. I want virtual swordzing NAO.

2) If anyone can do it, Shiggy can.

3) Nintendo needs to trademark the previous statement.

Sgt. Backwash

JEALOUSY
Will it get tiring? Maybe for some people, but it's important to remember that you won't HAVE to make exaggerated motions just to register each sword swing. Even if you can technically move the sword 1:1, in combat you aren't mimicking motions 100% accurately, since the game has an 8-direction system. Swinging your entire arm from left to right will give you the same swing as if you gently flicked your wrist from left to right.

So no, I'm not personally concerned about that. It shouldn't be any more tiring than any other Wii game.

Wii Motion + looks like it could be one of the best things to happen in the series in a long time. Watching and studying your enemies and being forced to think about how you approach them sounds much more interesting than the standard "hack and slash at them while they're open" system we've had up until now.

The motion not nearly as much as having to pick things out of your virtual pocket. They still have not sold me on that one and I cannot really think of how that could add to gameplay. It just sounds like it would get old after a while.
Since SS is a more combat-centric Zelda game, they wanted the player to be able to take items out of their inventories without pausing the game and breaking flow. Using motion controls to select items does sound a bit quirky, but their only other option was to use the analog stick, which would involve forcing the player to stop in their tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom