• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Could time travel in BotW double the game's size?

Some fans are theorising that time travel will play a large part in BotW.

The time frame in question is obviously the 100 year gap in BotW's narrative while Link is asleep.

Taking the fact that many Guardians are deactivated and in ruin, and that Link battles other Guardians that are activated at other various places in the game.

Its theorised that Link can travel back in time using the Sheikah Care Unit that he wakes up in, and that he can go back to a time where the Guardians were attacking the land.

In the 2014 trailer a Guardian attacks Link and in the background we can see functional villages and a castle that looks like castle town in the distance untouched by Calamity Ganon.

Is it possible the BotW trailer in 2014 is 100 years before the demos of 2016?

I'm sure that time travel will have a role, albeit small; Similar to the Timeshift Stones, I'd imagine. I actually originally thought that the hair tie Link uses was infused with Timeshift Stones, which was the reason he could appear to slow time down when fighting enemies in the gameplay footage we've seen.

I think adding in time travel, similar to OoT, could be a way to try and rehash a game. It's been done before. However, there should be some sort of link in this game, to another realm, time, or whatever. It will be interesting to see when Link's adventure is over if he will stay in the future or if he will have the chance to go back in time. I have to wonder what will happen to Zelda, though!

I'd imagine that if there is time travel it'd be like in TP with a very closed of area. Also they said that they took out npc and kept player away from villages to avoid spoiling plot so I wouldn't look to much into not seeing any in the demo.

Let's look at the math.

Nintendo said that the demo area is less than 2% of the game. We can safely assume that means it's above 1%. So between 1-2%.

According to my calculations (yes I did the math), the plateau is around 1.7% of the current map (at least what they showed us which we are guessing is full). With all the information we have the "less than 2%" statement stands true.

If time traveling to a previous Hyrule doubles the game size, then the 2% statement seems to be false because it would drop below 1%.

So I would say no.

Technically it would still be below 2% if it was also below 1%, but I understand your point. He would have just said less than 1 % if it indeed was below 1 %. Good job on doing the maths btw. Most people won't or just can't so A+ to you.

I actually doubt time travel will have an effect. We've seen moving guardians in the current world and we know that there are functioning villages.

Tibari

Rinkuji
I prefer discover the story background and past by exploring ruins, findings secrets and linking clues in order to know what happened, rather than directly going into the past and seeing all the story by my eyes

I prefer discover the story background and past by exploring ruins, findings secrets and linking clues in order to know what happened, rather than directly going into the past and seeing all the story by my eyes
What if you actually play through the past flashbacks? I think that would be cool. You get to run around in the past and there will be small cutscenes for dialogue if it is needed at all.

Tibari

Rinkuji
Yes but I would get this flashback only when I already discover enough clues to know the truth, as a reconstitution instead of a vision that gives you all the answers without searching.

Yea I would have to agree that time travel in such a big world would be kinda hard it's like here explore this whole map that will take days apon days to truely discover ever inch of what's there and then you get to travel back in time and do it all over again it would get tedious after a while

Technically it would still be below 2% if it was also below 1%, but I understand your point. He would have just said less than 1 % if it indeed was below 1 %. Good job on doing the maths btw. Most people won't or just can't so A+ to you.

Yes my whole theory is based off of assuming Nintendo meant between 1-2% since if it was below 1% they would have bragged about that.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
So much has changed since the 2014 footage, speaking of development. It's possible that that footage was from a part of the game that was scrapped, redesigned, or just somewhere else in the world we haven't seen yet. That in mind, this would be a relatively easy way to increase the content of the game, since they could copy and paste most of the map the way they did with Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past. On the other hand, the theme of BotW is changing Zelda's conventions, and since this has been done before several times, I'm going to say I don't think it's in the cards.

I don't know about double it. If they were going to make you do the content twice, I'd hope they significantly alter the landscape to at least make it interesting. But at that point, they're basically making a whole new map. So, it *could*, but I kinda hope they don't go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom