• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cartoon Or More Realistic

i agree with juicej the ocarina and majora mask games had the best type of graphics and i would like them to make the future games with this style but with a more smooth and better look to them...and i agree with everyone else in ways to but zelda is an amazing game good or bad graphics

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
The thing about people saying that Zelda 64 has the best graphics is quite comical. For the time, they were as realistic as the hardware could handle, but look at them now. They're downright cartoony. :lol:

Hero of…. #s, I guess
All Zelda graphics are beautiful. TP is so immersive and fit the dark story. TWW is phenomenal from what I've seen, due to its carefree styling.

Skyward Sword... Possibly better than both. Link is realistically shaped, but everything is in such a beautiful, carefree style. I'm excited to see what next-gen Zelda's world has to offer!

zeldakid895

Zelda's Kid
I like realistic graphics, like those of Twilight Princess, and I think that with time, the Wii games' graphics will get more realistic and will start to compete with Microsoft and Sony. But if there are cel-shaded graphics, or any new graphical type, I'm fine with that.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
All I really care about, graphics-wise, is that the game is pleasing to look at. SS is a nice blend of the WW and TP styles, though I do admit that I preferred the TP graphics. However, I would call them 'less stylized' than 'realistic.' Sure, it had the most realistic graphics of the Zelda games, but it still had its cartoonish elements (especially in the characters' faces).

When it comes to SS's graphical style, I find it unique. It looks like the character models are going more of TP's style while the enemies are more WW. The background seems to be its own thing and it has really grown on me. It's colorful and really nice to look at. I also really like that Nintendo is using the cel-shading technique from WW. That just makes everything move much more smoothly and the lines are much less polygonal. As much as I loved TP's art, it still had that polygonal effect and I'm glad they're fixing it for SS.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Personally the graphics don't bother me at all bc different eras of Zelda titles has their own distinct graphical style....If they went with a more realistic look with SS then it wouldve just felt like an expansion of TP....I loved the more realistic look in TP but the colours were just so morbid, so I'm happy we're getting a fresher style and in my opinion the graphics catch the eye. At the end of the day Zelda is Zelda, so we should just all enjoy it :)

I prefer the cartoon type look.
WW was cartoon like and in my opinion thats the best a Zelda game has looked.
Although i agree its very hard to get the balance right.
So prefer the cartoon style to the more realistic style.

Djinn

and Tonic
I do not mind a cartoon look at all, in fact most of the time I prefer it. I believe that the cell shading graphics was not what turned people off to Wind Waker, but the odd character design. The strange large heads, weird eyes, and really tiny nonexistent feet that made every character far too abstract to take seriously. WW seemed to have taken the cartoon look concept a little too far and the developers went crazy with the designs.

postod.jpg

You can have a cartoony look and still maintain a level of quality in the character's designs. When they do not, it comes off as looking too childish and people do not want to give it a chance.

Now a cartoon look with more standard character designs I would definitely like more. It is a fantasy world where almost anything can happen, so a super realistic look might work out a little better. And I simply cannot imagine a Zelda game in a Boris Vallejo artstyle at all, it just does not suit the series. I think SS is the perfect mix, the cell shading that allows for more freedom of movement for the character models and a much more animated background. While maintaining the more realistic design of TP and OoT. Now I do wish Nintendo would try to develop a specific distinct style for Zelda alone, since OoT it looks like they are still experimenting with graphical styles and have not fully settled on one yet. Except for maybe the WW look for the hand held games.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I admit that I was a bit put off by the lack of realistic graphics in SS when the first preview for it came out on E3. It may have been because of the teaser poster that was leaked online that caused me to think that way. But now that I look back at it, I actually like the graphics. I like how it is a mixture of both TP and WW's graphics. It looks realistic but at the same time, cartoony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom