• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Beating the Shadow Temple Without the Eye of Truth...

Poe_Salesman

Heh heh hee...
It is most definitely possible... if you've done it before. There's still a ton of guess work involved like throwing bombs to find solid ground, jumping of cliffs until you find the right spot etc. and I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without having played the level before, or, at least it would've taken a heck of a lot longer. There is, however, nothing for which the eye of truth is absolutely necessary. :)

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
There is the first main room with the invisible skulls where 1 of them shows up with the Lens, which is the one you have to push the thing to. It's random which skull it is, but I suppose it is doable with trial & error and enough life hearts.

OotLord1003

Young Link
No, you cannot deafet Bongo-Bongo without the lens.
It's not just see-through, you also can't hit him.
Me and a friend once tried this, also the path to the desert; you must move in circles, waves, and way different patterns.
I have failed to memorize it, and anyone who can....well I don't think you can.
Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have tried, and proven the results.

also the path to the desert; you must move in circles, waves, and way different patterns.

Actually, it's totally possible (and actually kind of easy) to get through without the Lens of Truth, just look it up on Youtube or something. There's videos where people get through it, but it's not the exact way the invisible Poe shows you. There's a little shortcut to get there that you can find it takes about 10 minutes to do while following a video.

G

Goomba

Funny that you made a thread on this. I'm playing through OoT for the first time and just yesterday I went halfway through the Shadow Temple without the lens of truth. I got stuck and looked up a guide and figured out I had to go down the well. I thought it was just a hard dungeon!

cmeks

A lonely wanderer
No, you cannot deafet Bongo-Bongo without the lens.
It's not just see-through, you also can't hit him.
Me and a friend once tried this, also the path to the desert; you must move in circles, waves, and way different patterns.

Acutally you can defeat bongo bongo without the lens of truth. go on youtube and look up OoT uber challenge. Theres a video of a person going through the shadow temple without a lens of truth.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Sorry to ask a silly question, as people have obviously done it, but how do you get past that first door without the lens of truth? Will it let you through anyway and I've just never tried that?

And yes, you can hit Bongo Bongo while he's invisible. That's how I did it just two days ago when I was charging up my spin attack and didn't want to waste time with the lens.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
All the Lens of Truth does is show the illusions that are in the game. Even without the Lens the hidden doors and paths and all that stuff is still there, you just don't see it. I've never tried going through without the Lens, I don't have the patience to try to memorize everything, but it's definitely possible. I fought part of the Bongo Bongo battle without the Lens (used it for the first few attacks then just decided it wasn't necessary anymore after I got the hang of it).

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Exactly.
There are other games where illusions would have to be "dissipated" in order for you to be able to overpass it, but in OoT no

It seems more believable to me that you could stumble through the Shadow Temple without the Lens of Truth rather than the Gerudo Desert. The desert just has too many turns and twists, and even WITH the poe, I sometimes mess up and have to start over. Shadow Temple seems more possible, since it would be easier to memorize the tough parts in the dungeon rather than a lifeless void of brown. For Bongo Bongo, I thought it was actually easier without the lens. If you have them on, you can't charge a spin attack, which makes hitting him harder.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
There's also the Shadow Barrier room in the Castle with the hidden curvy walkway leading to the switch that opens the door to the last room. That wouldn't be as difficult to memorize as the Wasteland, but still would be a lot of work.

In the Shadow Temple I really only use it 3 times .. for the skull candles near the start, the moving platform in the huge guillotine room, and Bongo Bongo (The only other time that it may be recommended to use is in the room right before Bongo Bongo, but if you know where the platforms are it's not necessary at all).

The candles you can do a trial & error since guessing wrong would only cost you a heart if you fall through the hole, the platform is hard to miss since it doesn't move too far to the left and out of Link's Hover Boot reach, and I know Bongo Bongo is very beatable if you use the spin attack instead of arrows to hit his eye and stun him (I just prefer the arrow method).

Last edited:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I guess what I was confused about is that very first door - I've walked through other walls, knowing they were actually illusions, but always stopped in the beginning when it told me to use the eye of truth and used it. Now it appears that I've just never tried entering it without using the lens. The more you know... :cool:

ETA: Just tried it for fun. I need to stop listening to the game so much, heh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom