• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

At what point does a hard game stop being fun?

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Or maybe the better question is: When does difficulty take the fun out of a game?

I ask because I just beat Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts for the first time ever. I had it on the SNES but never beat it there so the VC version with the interrupt feature made it possible for me to get a feeling for each level endlessly without having to go through each level again on a further play through.

Part of the reason why I never beat SGNG when I was kid was that it was so difficult, it just wasn't any fun to play at a certain point and knowing that when you get near the end, you'd be sent back to the beginning again to play through again and even harder. I can imagine that for many people, much like myself, this turned people off from ever finishing the game outside of using emulators or taking advantage of other available means. And not only that I was playing on normal, I couldn't imagine hard or professional and what kind of crap you have to put up with.

Many of the users here who grew up on these kinds of games and certainly know what I'm talking about. They were all over the NES/SNES/Genesis and often didn't have saves to alleviate things. A lot of these were vestiges of gaming's arcade heritage. Which usually meant lots of continues (quarters spent) and doing your best to memorize every little intricacy of each stage. Overall the games are short but this difficulty usually meant that hours could be spent on each stage.

Now I'm just rambling. I guess my point is, when does it stop being fun playing games that have brutal difficulty? When it feels like no matter how much you try you just can't beat the danged game is what I'd say and that is certainly how I felt back when I was kid playing SGNG.

Amelie

Air Dancer
When you cant get past the first level because you die so fast. Simple answer ^^ Thats when it stops being fun for me.

Ghouls N goblins is WAY to hard.. perfect example of a game that is just to hard ><

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Super Ghouls n'ghosts is one of my favorite games ever... I mean, i don't think that a game that is too hard loses fun... I get more interested if the game is hard, and hardness has no limits for me(i think I will regret saying this)

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
If it's hard to the point where I can't do something, and get extremely aggitated, I lose all hope. This is also when I stop playing the game for months on end. :P
The game that I am currently avoiding due to this, is MM. I was in the same room for probably at least a half hour, and still unable to get any further.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I am an impatient person but when it comes to games I can become somewhat obsessed. I can spend 2 or 3 hours on a boss/enemy or a puzzle. Maybe 4 or 5 hours if it is about finding something. But after that I need a break, if not I will get mad or furious (or both).

If I should try beating a boss and spent 2-3 hours on 10 occasions (20-30 hours in total) and still couldn´t find out, I would give up (and feel like the worst noob ever!). That doesn´t happen very often :D.

LucarioMaster

lucario shoen
I am an impatient person but when it comes to games I can become somewhat obsessed. I can spend 2 or 3 hours on a boss/enemy or a puzzle. Maybe 4 or 5 hours if it is about finding something. But after that I need a break, if not I will get mad or furious (or both).

If I should try beating a boss and spent 2-3 hours on 10 occasions (20-30 hours in total) and still couldn´t find out, I would give up (and feel like the worst noob ever!). That doesn´t happen very often :D.

kinda same here but i try for DAYS on end and if it gets so hard i end up looking for cheat codes for that game

Since I'm a very impatient person, I die like 3 times right away, I'm done. Put the game down, don't play it for another month. Exact thing that happened with AoL and is why I don't want to play it.

Zero

The Vanished
When the game becomes aggrivatring, it stops being fun. You can't have enjoyment and anger at the same time, it's an oxymoron.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
yes if you can't enjoy it or cant continue in the game for example Rock band hard I cant get my next finger on the frikin guitar I fail every time

linkman8

True and Noble
Generally I like a challenge, but when the game decides to get aggravating and thwart your every attempt to enjoy the game, then I usually set the game aside for a while.

Super Ghouls n'ghosts is one of my favorite games ever... I mean, i don't think that a game that is too hard loses fun... I get more interested if the game is hard, and hardness has no limits for me(i think I will regret saying this)

Go play "I Want to be the Guy" (google it)
and that cat mario game (Syobon)... but thats easyish because of infinte lifes, still unforgiving.

I dont mind a hard game but SGAG is not one I like. Hard games are fine as long as they are atleast forgiving to a point. Also Hard game =/= broken control/design

For me, the point where a hard game stops being fun is when you do some major stuff in the game, don't save, continue playing, and all of the sudden, your game crashes. *insert loud screaming*

Yeah, that's me.

mewtwolord

Hello World
The ultimate thing that makes a game less fun for me is when i get stuck and keepz dying dying dying untill i get mad enough to throw the controller
Edit: Doing all this.For me, the point where a hard game stops being fun is when you do some major stuff in the game, don't save, continue playing, and all of the sudden, your game crashes. *insert loud screaming*I say DAMN then i have to punch something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom