• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ark's Perplexing Puzzles

arkvoodle

Diabolical
The Child's father is away, he has divorced the mother.

Ding Ding Ding! Correct :D
I would have also accepted that there is no father.

Hazel gets 2PP

Next puzzle~

Puzzle 007- Socks- 10PP

Carol has six pairs of black socks and six pairs of white socks in her drawer.

In complete darkness, and without looking, how many socks must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?

**--NOTICE--**

How would you guys like it if there were teams? If one person on the team got the answer, the total points are shared? Or what about siggy banners for players who get a certain amount of puzzle points?

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
3!

The first sock could be either color. The second sock may match, but it may not. However, since there are only two colors in the drawer, the third sock must match one of the first two.

(Eta: Won't do this often, but I actually knew that puzzle already, is that okay?)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
3!

The first sock could be either color. The second sock may match, but it may not. However, since their are only two colors in the drawer, the third sock must match one of the first two.

(Eta: Won't do this often, but I actually knew that puzzle already, is that okay?)

Wow! That was fast! And sure, it's okay if you only answer every once in a while.
I'll still add your name to the board though. :P

February Eve 10PP

Moving along

Puzzle 008- Cubes- 15PP

A corporate businessman has two cubes on his office desk. Every day he arranges both cubes so that the front faces show the current day of the month.

What numbers are on the faces of the cubes to allow this?

Note: You can't represent the day "7" with a single cube with a side that says 7 on it. You have to use both cubes all the time. So the 7th day would be "07".

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Is it cheating if I have these cubes and am looking at them as I type?

The first cube has 0 - 5. The second has 0,1,2,6,7,8.

...The 6 can be turned upside down to make a 9. ;)

(I'll duck out now to give others a chance to answer.)

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Cube One has the following numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Cube two has the following numbers: 0, 1, 2, 6, 7, 8

The 6 doubles as a 9 when turned the other way around.

There is no day 00, but you still need the 0 on both cubes in order to make all the numbers between 01 and 09.

Alternate solutions are also possible:Cube One: 1, 2, 4, 0, 5, 6 Cube Two: 3, 1, 2, 7, 8, 0

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Is it cheating if I have these cubes and am looking at them as I type?

The first cube has 0 - 5. The second has 0,1,2,6,7,8.

...The 6 can be turned upside down to make a 9. ;)

(I'll duck out now to give others a chance to answer.)

Correct!
Also, you can keep playing if you like, then you'll become the Queen of Puzzles! :D

9PP won~

Puzzle 009- Coins in a Bottle- 10PP

If you put a small coin into an empty wine bottle and replace the cork, how would you get the coin out of the bottle without taking out the cork or breaking the bottle?

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Push the cork into the bottle, and shake out the coin

You're on fire D:
7PP

NOTICE--- If you're going to answer the next puzzle, please give feedback on the teams idea, then i'll arrange the teams and we can get this underway~

Puzzle 010- Three men and a hotel- 15PP

Santa Claus, Jack and Grim enter a hotel and pay the confused manager $30 for a room($10 for each man). Later, the manager realises he has overcharged them and gives $5 to the bellboy to return to the men. As the bellboy walks up the stairs of the surprisingly cheap hotel, he ponders that the $5 note won't easily divide by three between the men and definately doesn't wish to start some money fight between such important people. When he knocks on their door he ends up handing them just $3 in coins, keeping $2 on the sly.

The men have now paid $27 for the room and the bellboy has $2. Where is the final dollar?

Caution: Many people say "there is no missing dollar" - but unless you can explain why, without confusing yourself, your answer should be considered wrong.

Last edited:
The bellboy has the final dollar because he had the $5 note.

Since the $5 note didn't divide evenly into 3 equal parts the bill had to be split. $3.00 in coins + 2 bills = Change for the $5

Edit: Teams could be cool, but individual is cool as well... I am really indifferent to the idea. Sorry thats not very helpful.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
The bellboy has the final dollar because he had the $5 note.

Since the $5 note didn't divide evenly into 3 equal parts the bill had to be split. $3.00 in coins + 2 bills = Change for the $5

Edit: Teams could be cool, but individual is cool as well... I am really indifferent to the idea. Sorry thats not very helpful.

CORRECT! ^^

(I didnt include it in the title of the last one but 15PP)

Also, you'll get individual banner rewards once I ask someone to make them for us. For example, Puzzler of the Week and King/Queen of Puzzles.

Puzzle 011- Philosiraptors- 15PP

One day three Greek philosophers settled under the shade of an olive tree, opened a bottle of Retsina, and began a lengthy discussion of the Fundamental Ontological Question: Why does anything exist?

After a while, they began to ramble. Then, one by one, they fell asleep.

While the men slept, three owls, one above each philosopher, completed their digestive process, dropped a present on each philosopher's forehead, the flew off with a noisy "hoot."

Perhaps the hoot awakened the philosophers. As soon as they looked at each other, all three began, simultaneously, to laugh. Then, one of them abruptly stopped laughing. Why?

~~~~

Alternative Puzzle--

Puzzle 011- Physics Problems- 3PP

Pour hot water into a thick drinking glass and into a thin wine glass. Which glass in more likely to crack?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom