• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Aonuma may have already CONFIRMED the Timeline Placement! (And it's the biggest mistake ever)

What do you think of this official Timeline Placement?

• Don't we already have enough Downfall Timeline games for now?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Koroks alone make it seem more likely to take place in the adult timeline. Perhaps 100 years after Phantom Hourglass in New Hyrule, but before the whole Spirit Tracks trains thing.

Koroks alone make it seem more likely to take place in the adult timeline. Perhaps 100 years after Phantom Hourglass in New Hyrule, but before the whole Spirit Tracks trains thing.
Erm... Spirit Tracks takes place 100 years after New Hyrule was created, so that wouldn't make any sense.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
@magnann Bulblins were only from Twlight Princess (the child timeline) until just a few games later, when they appeared in Spirit Tracks (adult timeline)

Erm... Spirit Tracks takes place 100 years after New Hyrule was created, so that wouldn't make any sense.
That's why I placed it just before Spirit Tracks. "100 years" in both instances can be a rough estimate meaning that BotW can take place slightly before Spirit Tracks in the timeline, unless you believe that both instances of "100 years" are concrete and not some estimation in the lore.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That's why I placed it just before Spirit Tracks. "100 years" in both instances can be a rough estimate meaning that BotW can take place slightly before Spirit Tracks in the timeline, unless you believe that both instances of "100 years" are concrete and not some estimation in the lore.

Hyrule was completely flooded at the end of WW. So I would bet against this game appearing right before Spirit Tracks. In BoTW We still see the old ruins of the Temple of Time from OOT. And since King Daphnes wished that the old land was washed away we can only assume that if a game was before ST and Hyrule had unflooded the ruins we have seen could not be present. Therefore this can't be right before ST.

If this does indeed still take place after OOT on the Adult timeline I would imagine that rather than it going before ST it goes either before Wind Waker at some point during the hundreds of years between it and OOT. Or the other possibility is that this game takes place after another split in the timeline where it was Ganon who was victorious at the end of WW and Link was the one defeated.

You said it takes place 100 years after Phantom Hourglass, but that would still be relatively (well, not relatively, INCREDIBLY) close to the placement of Spirit Tracks.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
You said it takes place 100 years after Phantom Hourglass, but that would still be relatively (well, not relatively, INCREDIBLY) close to the placement of Spirit Tracks.

Breath of the Wild could never be in New Hyrule. The train tacks of New Hyrule existed far, far before Link and Tetra arrived in New Hyrule.

No. I think it definitely takes place in Old Hyrule thousands of years after it has been unflooded. That would explain the rebuilding of many ancient artifacts, and it would make sense considering that the people of new Hyrule, the Lokomo(which could eventually become the new Sheikah) are very technologically advanced considering they have already made trains. It would make sense that everyone would travel and go back to Old Hyrule once it was rediscovered, and I think exactly that happened.

Breath of the Wild could never be in New Hyrule. The train tacks of New Hyrule existed far, far before Link and Tetra arrived in New Hyrule.

No. I think it definitely takes place in Old Hyrule thousands of years after it has been unflooded. That would explain the rebuilding of many ancient artifacts, and it would make sense considering that the people of new Hyrule, the Lokomo(which could eventually become the new Sheikah) are very technologically advanced considering they have already made trains. It would make sense that everyone would travel and go back to Old Hyrule once it was rediscovered, and I think exactly that happened.
But we saw all the Lokomo die at the end of Spirit Tracks. Also, I was never arguing it was in New Hyrule.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
But we saw all the Lokomo die at the end of Spirit Tracks. Also, I was never arguing it was in New Hyrule.
They didn't die, they just returned to the Spirits' side, leaving the humans to their own devices. It's not far fetched to imagine them passing along some of their tech or magic, or the sheikah being influenced by them. Although I doubt it tbh, nothing we've seen looks anything like it'd involve the Lokomo.

They didn't die, they just returned to the Spirits' side, leaving the humans to their own devices. It's not far fetched to imagine them passing along some of their tech or magic, or the sheikah being influenced by them. Although I doubt it tbh, nothing we've seen looks anything like it'd involve the Lokomo.
The Lokomo "departed to the heavens." Their protection was no longer needed, so they died. It's just like Impa in Skyward Sword (albeit Impa may kinda sorta reincarnated later) ; her protection was no longer needed, so she died.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The Lokomo "departed to the heavens." Their protection was no longer needed, so they died. It's just like Impa in Skyward Sword (albeit Impa may kinda sorta reincarnated later) ; her protection was no longer needed, so she died.
"Departed to the heavens" means go back to where the Spirits are. They didnt say they died. In fact Anjean specifically said Byrne would be reborn so why would he bother being reborn if they were all going to die anyway? This is just useless arguing over semantics at this point lol.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Question: How could the Lokomo become the Shiekah if the Shiekah already existed? We had proof of their existence way back in OoT, centuries before ST.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Question: How could the Lokomo become the Shiekah if the Shiekah already existed? We had proof of their existence way back in OoT, centuries before ST.
Well @Lozjam did say the new Sheikah, probably imagining that since the Sheikah were practically extinct bar Impa by OoT, maybe the Lokomo took their place? That's what I think he was getting at. Honestly I think it's far more likely that they just made a comeback.

Outside of the adult timeline, BotW probably has a chance of fitting into the decline timeline and it being the story of OoT Link failing, or rather the story after he failed.

But right now its still anyones guess. Im more of the opinion thst BotW is a decline story and very potentially between OoT and AlttP but like @Deus said theres more than enough evidence to sink any timeline theory atm.

Yeah, its nice to get our geek on, but story will always be an after thought in Zelda and after SS we really need to know how much retcon we're dealing with too. For all we know BotW could be retconning entire games or even timelines.

I also really cant figure how you come to the conclusion that the adult timeline is no longer canon either.

Spirit brings up a good point. How much does the timeline and the story affect your experience with zelda games. I personally feel there using the legend part of zelda to have obscure stories and stories told through people much like us. Im curios what time line do you stand by because im a filthy casual and i think the default one is fine wih its multiverse crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom