• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Air Combat in Skyward Sword?

Sword play don't make sense on the Bird. What a great way to chop your mounts wings. The reach of the blade is just too short.

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
Yeah I forgot about that, I just have read all the posts. But maybe, there is some possibility of combat yet, but if not, a race challenge mode would be nice too.

Well, I'm pretty sure that there are going to be plenty of challenges in Skyloft. Like flying through circles, races, pursuits (like in the demo), and it's going to be great. I'd like some seamless action going on while you explore, not just traditional mini-games to receive a PoH (for instance) or progress in the story(like in the demo). I'm hoping to see something like WW rupees streak to entertain us while flying throughout Skyloft .

And are we going to see enemies invading and flying around in Skyloft? My guess is yes. In the trailers we've seen Ghirahim fighting link in what looks like Skyloft village with a stormy sky, it makes sense to have his evil troops hanging around too, and since it's a floating island it makes sense too to have them rinding flying creatures too, like those vultures in TP.

Djinn

and Tonic
How cool would be a boss or at least mini-boss fight in the skies? Waaay cooler than fighting the Giant Octopuses in WW (which was pretty cool). For sure it would be a mark in the series, and add uniqueness to the game in the series.

I believe this would add a whole new dynamic to the Aerialfos and Argorok fights. Epic combat within the sky with a flying creature wielding a sword and shield and a large dragon would be so much more interesting and challenging instead of the usual floating platforms and hookshot tricks. I would imagine either escaping Argorok while trying to get to a spot to attack him directly or chasing him across the sky to get something back or rescue a NPC would be an easy way to explain the fight. But I am hoping that there is some kind of major events to play while in the sky realm on the sky bird. Something more than just another treasure hunt among the islands or race with other flyers. I want it to be like the ocean of WW, with things to discover and fight in every corner and each strange cloud formation or island contains something of value. With enemies all along the way, maybe getting more challenging and nightmarish the further away from Skyloft you go. The hidden things things at the far edge of the map are always the scariest.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
How cool would be a boss or at least mini-boss fight in the skies? Waaay cooler than fighting the Giant Octopuses in WW (which was pretty cool). For sure it would be a mark in the series, and add uniqueness to the game in the series.

I think it's a high possibility we'll see Link's "rival" once or twice in the skies. That would be really effective to the story.

I think Skyloft will be much smaller than WW's sea. They're making this game more compact, but I hope that it is going to be much bigger than what've seen within draw distance in the Loftbird demo, and that are a lot of actual island's with people and small dungeons in it instead of just some floating rocks with some rupees or small chests on top of it. Since the Skyloft is the access point to the various areas bellow, Nintendo may be tempted to make it really small so that it's practical and fast to get from any point to any point in the world, without the need of a unmoody warp that feels like cheating and dismiss the need of a mount (like they did in TP) - but again, I really hope that they keep in mind the importance of some really big areas for exploration in a console Zelda game.

Damn, the whole flying around freely was well beyond my expectations, please, please, please guys don't underuse what may be one of the most awesome things in the series (in par with some of the great additions brought by OoT).

Air combat would be really fun, but I don't know how they would pull it off. Like others said, maybe they could do something with his rival.

nafizl

the Sword Slinging Hero
I think maybe they could map the birds flight controls to the nunchuck and use the wii mote for sword play I mean there are ALOT of dtuff you could do with AIR COMBAT...WITH SWORDS

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
I don't think Nintendo could ever pass up an opportunity like that. I mean, wouldn't it be cool to dive bomb enemies and knock other people off their birds? I think if they were to do that though, they'd need a long range weapon, like a lance. You could have jousting matches, races, and a lot of other opportunities. There's no way Nintendo will pass up that opportunity.

Simply put, multitasking - using a sword, an arrow, or what have you - with the new motion controls for flight, which are confirmed to be nigh identical to those of Wii Sports Resort, would prove quite difficult to perform, if not totally IMPOSSIBLE.

I agree with Myriad, Nintendo shouldn't let this opportunity pass. We would have to wait like a dozen years to have another the chance get this. Sword combat is completely out of question, doesn't even makes sense, but some ranged attack, a dash/tackle attack or maybe a hijacking is doable.

Skyloft without any kind of threat the whole game would be quite a shame. Like I said, if they only implement things that are completely smooth, easy to use and "safe"(aka was successfully implement in another game) than this game won't be anywhere near to reach it's full potential.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It is a nice idea but impossible with the current controls you need to move your wiimote to change the direction of the bird and if you started swinging it would be flying all over the place. The only way it could work is if the bird flys on its own without player control allowing you to swing, yeah, I don't think it will happen.

Since swordplay and using your bow is impossible while controlling your bird, what if the bird would just fly by itself, kinda like in Majora's Mask when you're at the back of Cremia's cart, fending off the Gorman Brothers. Maybe swordplay and/or using your bow would be possible if you wouldn't be controlling the bird during that kind of scene.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Since swordplay and using your bow is impossible while controlling your bird, what if the bird would just fly by itself, kinda like in Majora's Mask when you're at the back of Cremia's cart, fending off the Gorman Brothers. Maybe swordplay and/or using your bow would be possible if you wouldn't be controlling the bird during that kind of scene.

Well, the sky has been stated to work like the Great Sea of WW, so that kind of suggest enemies, but it really refers more to more islands than Skyloft being in the sky. But with us controlling the bird using Wii Motion Plus, I just really don't think that kind of thing would change at some point during the game. Any air combat would really just be a dogfight, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom