• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Air Combat in Skyward Sword?

nafizl

the Sword Slinging Hero
After seeing that Link rides a :chu:bird I thought of Airial combat such as swinging your :mastersword::sword:sword on your bird or other stuff like bird armor:shield: tell me your thoughts :cucco:

Squirrel

The Rodent King
Some of the makers of the game might have already answered this but as I don't know whether they did or not this is my answer:
It could happen, but I don't think it will. It might only be a way to travel and it might also only be in the cutscenes. It would be cool if there was aerial combat though. It would also be very hard to control if you're flying and swinging your sword at the same time.

A sword air combat wouldn't work at all. If it come to have some air combat it's most likely to be projectile only: Bow, Slingshot or some exclusive Bird weapon. And yet it would be quite awkward, flying with the mote aiming with analog? Sounds terrible. Maybe some kind of auto-aim/lock-on, but sounds kind of messy as well. I can only think of the "Pew Pew" gun in the Wii Sports Resort, that would work fine, but the A and B button are already mapped...

But since they created that Air Jet like hud system, displaying the position of other birds, they will probably be re-using frequently (that's just the way Nintendo works), so there are probably going to have lots of races and pursuits, to say the least.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing any kind of swordplay in the air. Some kind of aerial combat (like with Link's rival) is definitely possible, but nothing with swordplay. That just wouldn't work very well at all. Plus, with us using the remote to fly, we wouldn't be able to swing.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
A sword air combat wouldn't work at all. If it come to have some air combat it's most likely to be projectile only: Bow, Slingshot or some exclusive Bird weapon. And yet it would be quite awkward, flying with the mote aiming with analog? Sounds terrible. Maybe some kind of auto-aim/lock-on, but sounds kind of messy as well. I can only think of the "Pew Pew" gun in the Wii Sports Resort, that would work fine, but the A and B button are already mapped...

But since they created that Air Jet like hud system, displaying the position of other birds, they will probably be re-using frequently (that's just the way Nintendo works), so there are probably going to have lots of races and pursuits, to say the least.
Air combat with your sword could work if you control the bird with something different than your sword.

Djinn

and Tonic
I agree that the control scheme makes it hard if not impossible for any real combat similar to that of the mounted combat seen in TP. Projectile weapons do seem to be the way to go with this game, but them it comes down to what projectiles and how. The thrown eggs seen in the demo back in June could be a possibility but I cannot see them doing any more than simple stun damage as if they were a deku nut. That does not make real combat but might keep enemies away from you for a few seconds giving you a chance to escape or avoid them while traveling to the many islands. Since it has been confirmed that you will be traveling to the islands all over the sky realm and discovering secrets, possibly a few miniquests as well, it makes sense that there will be a few dangers along the way. If it was nothing but a perfectly safe and enemy free environment it would become far too boring too quickly. So there has to be some way to attacking or at least defending yourself while riding on the bird before at least dismounting to fight them directly with the sword.

I would think some sort of target system and using the bow, or at least eggs and the slingshot would be useful enough. There might even be a beetle upgrade that helps you in this area. But again controlling the things might be a challenge.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Ok, here's the solution:

Link can jump off the bird at any time, right? And he can summon the bird at anytime, right?

So when an enemy approaches, sky-diving combat begins!

There's a lot of mushed up faces and no one can really hear each other but those downward thrust moves would be deadly at that velocity.

Then he hops back up onto the bird, or rather, the bird catches him mid-fall.

You're welcome!

skybird11

state alchemist
wow, air combat would be amazing! but in reality, the only thing we can hope to come close to this is dash attack on the bird. it would be cool if you could jump off the bird, onto another enemy's bird and fight the enemy on his bird untill you knock him to the land below the clouds (can you say SPLAT!). then you kill the evil bird and your bird comes to get you. that would be cool

So there has to be some way to attacking or at least defending yourself while riding on the bird before at least dismounting to fight them directly with the sword.

Yes. This is a key point. I think they should try to implement something, even if the controls are not the most elegant and intuitive. Only evading enemies would feel pretty annoying too -.-. One thing that COULD work is: Hold C to enter targeting mode, and while you're in this mode the bird just fly in the same direction he was heading(since Link is not guiding it anymore), and Link can take some time to aim with the bow(is the most likely weapon) with the mote. It seems to work and make sense too.

How cool would be a boss or at least mini-boss fight in the skies? Waaay cooler than fighting the Giant Octopuses in WW (which was pretty cool). For sure it would be a mark in the series, and add uniqueness to the game in the series.

How good this hub actually is will be a key point on how good this Zelda is going to be compared to previous titles.

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
I dont see how itd be that different from your horse in TP. Although it was a little difficult to steer your horse, you could still shoot your bow, swing your sword, and use pretty much any item. I could see it. Great idea:)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I dont see how itd be that different from your horse in TP. Although it was a little difficult to steer your horse, you could still shoot your bow, swing your sword, and use pretty much any item. I could see it. Great idea:)

Again, the sword uses the Wii Motion Plus, which we are already using to control the bird. Swordplay is impossible on the bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom